"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings
Old 11-13-2008, 11:06 PM   #11
Master Chef
we have a small deli where I live and their favorite menu item is the tuna and chicken salad and homemade breads..........I have begged for their recipes and I can understand why they don't reveal them but was told they were made fresh daily..........the line is out the door during the lunch rush..........been family owned for as long as I can remember ...............I make mine pretty much like the rest of y'all except for nuts or apples or raisins......Hellman's mayo is my condiment that binds it all together but this deli must add extra love or something! :)

The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:01 AM   #12
Master Chef
I like my tuna salad uber simple as well. Depending on mood & time, usually just do it one of two ways:

Drained tuna (always in oil, olive oil if possible - I can't stand the water-packed stuff), Hellmann's Mayonnaise, & freshly ground black pepper, OR

The above plus a little minced sweet onion, celery, & a dash of garlic powder.

I could never get into adding egg to tuna salad. If I want egg salad, that's what I'll make.

BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:40 AM   #13
Senior Cook
When I became an adult, I tried for years to make tuna sandwiches like my mom made. I used Best Foods mayonnaise (same as Hellman's, but on the West Coast) but it never tasted right. Too bland. Then one day it occurred to me that mom must have used Miracle Whip, not the more expensive mayonnaise. So I tried it with a little yellow mustard added and BINGO! The tuna sandwich of my childhood! Ditto for egg salad. They never taste right to me unless it's made with Miracle Whip. Adds a certain tang that mayo doesn't have. Served with Campbell's Tomato Soup, this is comfort food of the highest order for me!
"First we eat, then we do everything else." M.F.K. Fisher
Laury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:52 AM   #14
Head Chef
This might sound a little strange, but I love to put fritos on mine.
Go Sooners
abjcooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:56 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef
I prefer the stronger flavor of chunk light tuna. I usually mix it with Hellmann's and chopped scallions. It goes on whatever bread is in the house at the time (toasted). Today I have some leftover sourdough I bought yesterday to go with onion soup. I guess I'll use it for a tuna sandwich.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:00 AM   #16
Senior Cook
I love Frito's WITH mine, but hadn't thought of putting it in the sandwich. Sounds delicious and I'll try it when I can. Not sure if I can get Frito's here in Mexico.
"First we eat, then we do everything else." M.F.K. Fisher
Laury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:08 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
i guess i like my tuna salad really simple. i open a can of solid white albacore, then squeeze the heck out of it until it's almost dry.
scrape it into a bowl, add a half cup of finely diced celery, and a coupla tbsps. of mayo. that's it.

oh yeah, then it has to be refrigerated. i don't like room temp tuna salad.
strangely, i like cold tuna salad on a freshly baked, still warm plain bagel.

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote