"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 09-29-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Tuna salad one more time

I enjoy tuna salad but try to change it up and make it new. So I did this I took 2-7oz cans of oil packed tuna drained them I got a bowl and put in 3 stalks of sliced celery, about a 1/2 cup chopped granny smith's, 6 green onions green and white, 1/2 cup toasted almonds, 3 tab. currants or raisins, several Tab. minced red onion,. I mixed all the ingredients with the tuna and then added in a med bowl, 1/4 cup curry powder,2 Tab. Chutney, 1 Tab. Vinegar, 1 tea. lemon juice,salt and pepper and 1 cup of mayo less if you just want this to hold together or you can put all these last ingredients in a blender or f/p puree til smooth then add 1- to 1-and a half cups veggie oil slowley til thickened. You will also need 2 egg yolks if you make your own mayo. Curried mayo home made Add enough of this mixture to the tuna mix to coat as you like.Stir well and chill Nice on rye,wheat bread toasted or a french roll. I like it placed on a chilled plate on top of butter lettuce.
kades

Old 09-29-2012, 11:03 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Copied and pasted, I'ma trying this one for lunch next week! Thanks, Ma! Love curry!

Old 09-30-2012, 12:44 AM   #3
Head Chef

I was about to make a tuna fish sandwich today when I read your post. I just happened to have had most of the ingredients. I chickened out tho. I didn't add the curry or raisins or chutney or apple, or vinegar. I'll make myself try this recipe out one of these days. I may use slightly smaller portions. I like your idea of the apple and the raisins as many people add a pinch of sugar to tuna fish. The apple and raisins would provide the tiny amount of sweetness...by natural means, that many tuna fish recipes call for. I too like to add a tiny bit of oil to my tuna because my tuna is packed in water and the small amount of oil I add keeps the tuna from turning out too "dry".

Also as a side note about tuna, I prefer white albacore tuna as opposed the the reddish colored "light tuna". The taste between the two is very noticeable to me. I really don't like the darker tuna's taste at all.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I have often purchases a small piece of fresh tuna and cooked it through thoroughly. Then I use marinate it in a small amount of olivce oil. I use just enough oil that I don't have to drain it. I want it to be part of the recipe. From that I make my tuna fish salad.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I was about to make a tuna fish sandwich today when I read your post. I just happened to have had most of the ingredients. I chickened out tho. I didn't add the curry or raisins or chutney or apple, or vinegar. I'll make myself try this recipe out one of these days. I may use slightly smaller portions. I like your idea of the apple and the raisins as many people add a pinch of sugar to tuna fish. The apple and raisins would provide the tiny amount of sweetness...by natural means, that many tuna fish recipes call for. I too like to add a tiny bit of oil to my tuna because my tuna is packed in water and the small amount of oil I add keeps the tuna from turning out too "dry".

Also as a side note about tuna, I prefer white albacore tuna as opposed the the reddish colored "light tuna". The taste between the two is very noticeable to me. I really don't like the darker tuna's taste at all.
I love the imported tuna's from Italy color doesn't matter to me taste wins out. You need to eat what you prefer..Add what makes your mouth water I use to avoid things with currry added. Now I lower the amount and just add a little.
kadesma
Old 10-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have often purchases a small piece of fresh tuna and cooked it through thoroughly. Then I use marinate it in a small amount of olivce oil. I use just enough oil that I don't have to drain it. I want it to be part of the recipe. From that I make my tuna fish salad.
Addie that's a great Idea. I'm going to give fresh tuna a try. Thank you.
kades
Old 10-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

When I used to eat tuna (I just can't eat canned tuna anymore--it turns my stomach), I often added curry. I make a similar chicken salad when I have leftover chicken (or turkey), only I use dried cranberries and toasted pecans instead of raisins and always mayo. I can't stand MW.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:57 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Somewhere else I gave a report on the French's Onions in a container. The ones I bought were cheese flavored. Save your money.

But I was thinking, if I had bought the regular ones I usually get, I could pulverize them in my small FP and use it in a tuna salad. Or even potato salad. My family is a "I hate onions!" family. Yet when I dice them really small, they never notice them. I can't imagine some dishes without onions. So by pulverizing the canned ones, just saves me one more step. Our big Columbus Day parade is coming up this weekend. We always have food. This year my daughter can't do any of the cooking. So it looks like I will be the one to do it. I have to find a way to use those cheese onions.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
I enjoy tuna salad but try to change it up and make it new. So I did this I took 2-7oz cans of oil packed tuna drained them I got a bowl and put in 3 stalks of sliced celery, about a 1/2 cup chopped granny smith's, 6 green onions green and white, 1/2 cup toasted almonds, 3 tab. currants or raisins, several Tab. minced red onion,. I mixed all the ingredients with the tuna and then added in a med bowl, 1/4 cup curry powder,2 Tab. Chutney, 1 Tab. Vinegar, 1 tea. lemon juice,salt and pepper and 1 cup of mayo less if you just want this to hold together or you can put all these last ingredients in a blender or f/p puree til smooth then add 1- to 1-and a half cups veggie oil slowley til thickened. You will also need 2 egg yolks if you make your own mayo. Curried mayo home made Add enough of this mixture to the tuna mix to coat as you like.Stir well and chill Nice on rhy,wheat bread toasted or a french roll. I like it placed on a chilled plate on top of butter lettuce.
kades
Luv tuna salad. Have tried it many ways - even wrapped up in rice paper wrappers. Another fave is chicken salad w/ cranberries, apples & walnuts. Have added a dash of curry powder on occassion. Just wondering about the amount - 1/4 cup of curry powder? Sounds like a lot, & the two onion combos - several tbls minced red & 6 scallions. Sounds very spicy. How many servings? TIA
Old 10-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
Luv tuna salad. Have tried it many ways - even wrapped up in rice paper wrappers. Another fave is chicken salad w/ cranberries, apples & walnuts. Have added a dash of curry powder on occassion. Just wondering about the amount - 1/4 cup of curry powder? Sounds like a lot, & the two onion combos - several tbls minced red & 6 scallions. Sounds very spicy. How many servings? TIA
Cerise,
this should serve 6. if you make the curry mayo reduce the amount of curry powder and leave out or reduce the amount of green onions. or leave out the red onion which I'd do. that should make it taste better for you. Me I'd add more almonds,celery and apples.Your idea of cranberry and walnuts is nice and an idea for me.
kades

Tags
salad, tuna