Turning hot veggies into a salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
OK, I don't only have these ingredients, but I thought this was the topic to get some ideas.

You know I love the typical green beans, a little bacon, onions, toss in some spinach, olive oil hot meal. I'd like to turn that into a cold salad if possible and add harboiled eggs. I have no idea what to do after the initial stuff is cooked up or how long it would last (as in can I refrigerate it for a couple days and it would still be good). I know I'll end up making a lot.
I imagine vinegar would be involved, I have red, white and apple. I have some lemon juice too, but it's pretty old.... I think it's still good though. I used it in a hot recipe a month ago with no ill effect :rolleyes:
I figure if I turn this veggie mixture into a cold plate, it would be "lighter" tasting.... Maybe not. Maybe it isn't even edible food, or I'm too far off base to transition something I normally make into a cold salad type thing :huh:

Any takers? :)

Add some fusilli and anything can be a cold salad. lol

Actually doesn't sound too bad with the right proportions. Maybe add some cherry tomatoes.

OK, I don't only have these ingredients, but I thought this was the topic to get some ideas.

You know I love the typical green beans, a little bacon, onions, toss in some spinach, olive oil hot meal. I'd like to turn that into a cold salad if possible and add harboiled eggs. I have no idea what to do after the initial stuff is cooked up or how long it would last (as in can I refrigerate it for a couple days and it would still be good). I know I'll end up making a lot.
I imagine vinegar would be involved, I have red, white and apple. I have some lemon juice too, but it's pretty old.... I think it's still good though. I used it in a hot recipe a month ago with no ill effect :rolleyes:
I figure if I turn this veggie mixture into a cold plate, it would be "lighter" tasting.... Maybe not. Maybe it isn't even edible food, or I'm too far off base to transition something I normally make into a cold salad type thing :huh:

Pacanis,
my mom use to blanch or simmer her green beans with a little lemon juice to the donenes she wanted, usually a little crisp..Then she would dump them into ice water, drain after 10 min. and put them in the refrigerator til nice and cold, then she would chop up some onions and add that to the green beans, add some salt and pepper and mix some evoo and what ever vinegar she had and put that on the green beans, and refrigerate til dinner..Not much to it, but my dad loved it and so did I..If you like you could add some chopped tomato to it as my dad did, me I liked it as is:)
kades

Actually, the nicoise has some of the ingredients you have. You can change it out like so...

Blanched green beans (As described in the recipe - run them under cold water etc.)
Bacon
Onions
Sliced Hard boiled eggs
Spinach
Vinaigrette dressing

Optional add ins:
olives
red potatoes
asparaagus in place of green beans (cold asparagus & tomatoes make a great side salad)
tomatoes
croutons
penne, ziti, shells (cold pasta salad)
chicken, tuna or salmon - if you want/have it

Put the salad in a plastic covered container, in the fridge, & it will last a few days. I do this during the summer months.

Last edited:
OK. I think I'm getting the gist of it......
So instead of cooking everything like I usually do, in one pot, blanch items like the green beans (which I don't eat raw), chill, then mix everything together and add my EVOO, vinegar or whatever. Even cook the bacon separately, chill it, crumble it and add it.

This is making sense. The more I thought about it this morning, the more I was thinking I would be doing nothing more than eating cold, mooky leftovers the way I was thinking of cooking everything....

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom