"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 01-19-2010, 07:17 PM   #11
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Try this for steamed carrots. While still hot drizzel on some honey and drop on a Tblsp of butter and toss well till the butter melts.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:58 PM   #12
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Here are two of my favorites...

Lemon butter with poppy seeds added (great on broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and steamed carrots)

Mustard cream - made thusly:
1/3 C mayo
1/3 C sour cream
1 Tbls Mustard seeds coarsely ground - grind em yourself (mortar/pestal) don't use mustard powder
2 tsps dill
1 - 2 Tbls Vinegar or sour pickle juice. Make it tangy.
Thin with a little water to the consistency of thick gravy.

Mix it all up and refrigerate for at least an hour. Serve cold.
Use on asparagus, steamed green beans, broccoli or as a dip for raw cut veggies.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:29 PM   #13
Mr. Greenjeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
Try this for steamed carrots. While still hot drizzel on some honey and drop on a Tblsp of butter and toss well till the butter melts.
I do this with apricot jam instead of honey!
Old 01-21-2010, 10:28 PM   #14
Senior Cook

I should have said vinaigrette instead of dressing (dressing is only for salads?). Thanks for the replies, and yes the possibilities and variations are endless. I should stop being so lazy and try different methods myself.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:39 PM   #15
Senior Cook

On the 'World's Healthiest Foods' site it says that heating butter or oil is very unhealthy. I'm a little obsessed with this lately so I'm trying to avoid eating too much heated butter or oil.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:57 AM   #16
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I often make a vinaigrette with lemon juice, a couple cloves of very finely chopped garlic, Dijon mustard and good olive oil for my cooked vegetables.

This is a delicious sauce for green beans or boiled potatoes, as well as for salads:

Vinaigrette Sauce with Garlic and Cream

This salad dressing is delicious with assertive lettuces, such as romaine, frisée, arugula, and escarole. It also makes an unusual but fabulous dressing for warm boiled potatoes. Toss a few chopped anchovies in with them for a great Sunday Night Supper!

makes 6 servings

3 cloves garlic
Coarse sea salt
3/4 teaspoon strong Dijon mustard
Freshly ground white pepper
2 tablespoons Sherry vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons crème fraîche or heavy cream

1. Flatten the garlic with the side of a large knife, then peel it. (If there is any sign of a green sprout, be sure to remove it, or it will give a bitter, burning taste to the salad dressing -- or anything else, for that matter).
2. Turn on the motor in a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Drop the garlic through the feed tube with the motor running. Stop the motor, add a pinch of coarse salt, and using a plastic spatula, push the chopped garlic down into the workbowl. Pulse several times to make a paste of the salt and garlic. Add mustard, pepper and vinegar and pulse to blend. With the motor running, dribble in the crème fraîche and olive oil. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:00 AM   #17
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argamemnon View Post
On the 'World's Healthiest Foods' site it says that heating butter or oil is very unhealthy. I'm a little obsessed with this lately so I'm trying to avoid eating too much heated butter or oil.
Yeah, and spinach contains nitrates. We can't stop eating everything!
Old 01-26-2010, 08:13 AM   #18
Sous Chef

I roast almost all veggies in the oven. Bit of olive oil, salt, pepper and roast to concentrate the flavors. We like almost all veggies, so masking them with a sauce is not really on our menu. I don't consider things like peas, green beans, corn, and potatoes as veggies. We treat those as legumes, grains, and starches.

Tags
None