Warm broadbean and lentil salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ishbel

Executive Chef
Local broadbeans are in the shops now and this is a great warm salad using puy lentils and a soft cheese of your choice.

250g Puy lentils
1 small red onions sliced
300g broad beans (after you have removed pods)
300g olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Handful of mint, chopped
150g soft cheese – mozzarella or goat’s cheese, if you like
Freshly ground pepper and salt, to taste

Put the lentils in a saucepan with the onion, cover with water, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes until tender - the water should be absorbed. Season well.

At the same time, cook the broad beans in simmering water for 5 minutes until just tender. Drain, then tip back into the pan, add 2 tbsp olive oil and warm for 2 minutes. Add to the lentils with the red wine vinegar and mint and season well. Taste and add more seasoning or vinegar if you like. Add the cheese in bits and fold in gently. Serve warm.

Now THAT looks wonderful, Ishbel!

I'm thinking that broad beans are Fava beans, right? What are puy lentils? Do they come fresh, canned, dried? Whichever, I know I would love this salad. Even if I just used favas.

Lee

QSis said:
Now THAT looks wonderful, Ishbel!

I'm thinking that broad beans are Fava beans, right? What are puy lentils? Do they come fresh, canned, dried? Whichever, I know I would love this salad. Even if I just used favas.

Broad beans are fat, kidney shaped beans and they have pods with a 'furry' inside to them! I'm not sure if they are the same as fava beans.

Puy lentils are sold dried. They have a brownish, greenish, khaki colour. For a while, the lentils became a rather overdone food in posh restaurants over here. Thank goodness that seems to have died away recently! They have a distinctive taste and add something special to this salad.

Edited to add: Yes, fava and broad are the same bean! Found this site with a photo of puy lentils http://www.foodsubs.com/Lentils.html

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom