What are your favorite salads?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, and this:

Four Persian cucumbers, sliced paper thin

Dress w/ rice wine vinegar, a bit of honey + pepper flakes (I'm obsessed with my Korean-style ones generally used in kim chi) and a shake of kosher salt.

Drain most of the oil from a can of good tuna and chunk it up over the cucumbers.

It was so good I'm tempted to go back to the store for more of those cute little cucumbers!

Bump!

Like Chef Michael Smith and Chef Amy Thielen, unless I'm testing a recipe, I tend to cook without a recipe--my taste buds are the determining factor. A bit of this, a dash of that, what else is in the pantry/freezer/cupboard/fridge. A friend recently mentioned to me that I put things in salad she'd never think of--pomegranate seeds, orange segments, chickpeas, black beans, nutritional yeast, corn kernels, chia seeds, hemp seeds, fresh berries, dried fruit (dates, cranberries, apricots), chopped olives, pickled peppers, grated garlic, ginger, nuts, cheeses--can't think what else off the top of my head...bacon! For dressing, I use EVOO and a flavoured vinegar or citrus juice. I'm not big on dressing--I just like plain dressing. I just toss together what I have--a bit of crunch, of bit of sweet, a bit of sour/tart, some protein, maybe some fried noodles or wontons, it all depends on my mood and what I have on hand. I was just surprised when she said that what I do with salads she would never think of doing and that one of the things she loves about coming to my house for a meal is that I always serve a salad that is a work of art (her words, not mine).

Lettuce, radish, chopped celery, chopped carrots, snow peas, sliced cucumber, cherry tomatoes, no dressing = perfect salad :)

Red Cabbage Coleslaw (with raisins, yogurt, apple etc)

Potato Salad (preferably with chopped boiled eggs and topped with toasted pine nuts)

Nicoise Salad

Roasted Vegetable Salad (peppers, courgettes, tomatoes, with artichoke hearts)

My favorite salad. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• Bacon!.jpg
    Bacon!.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 270
New favorite salad

Hey guys!

I am thinking about doing some experimenting regarding my salad composition. Can you guys suggest some hot new flavours or types of indregients that I could try and combine. I am thinking more like something that you cannot find on the shelves of supermarkets. :chef:

My favorite salads are:

Caesar Salad (Joy of cooking recipe)
Yellow potato salad
French potato salad
Coleslaw
Greek summer salad
Beet salad
Bread salad

I don't really have a favourite salad. Any salad with lots of healthy, organic vegis and a freshly made dressing/vinaigrette is good by me. I also like tuna/chicken/egg salad and tossed salads with protein.

Egg, Potato, Tuna, and KFC Cole Slaw. I make the KFC CS quite often. I prefer to eat salads without any bread. :angel:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom