"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 06-04-2014, 08:55 PM   #1
Head Chef

What are your favorite salads?

Here are some of mine - Will post links to any of the recipes if anyone's interested:

Thai-Style Pasta Salad
Pacific Rim Caesar Salad
Citrus Green Bean Salad
Carrot Rapee
Carrot, Orange, and Radish Salad
Salade de Concombres et Chevre (Cucumber and Goat Cheese Salad)
Thai Cucumber Salad

Old 06-04-2014, 09:09 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

These all sound great, Merstar! Links please!

I love potato salad, that crunchy ramen noodle salad with bok choy and toasted sesame seeds, salad bar salad (AKA salad in a bag here) with sunflower seeds cottage cheese and peas, a really good coleslaw.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:51 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Coleslaw! creamy and oil & vinegar

My go to lunch salad: Baby Kale, Baby Spinach, Baby Arugula, sprouts (alfalfa, lentil, radish), grape tomatoes, green onions, walnuts, dried cranberries, scoop of tuna or salmon salad (lemon juice, capers, diced sweet onions), side of red wine vinegar and olive oil Italian dressing.

Fruit salads.

PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:01 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Salads are wonderful venues for creation.

I have a smoked salmon Caesar salad that I created not long after I got the Cameron's stovetop smoker. This salad is one of our favorites.

Now, after having some at Glenn's daughter's home, I have developed a fondness for Cajun/Creole potato salad and, after playing with the ingredients, I think I've come up with a "winner." At least Glenn and his son say so. That's all the encouragement I need.

I also have an awesome main course salad of short ribs and beets with tarragon. This is a recipe I got from chef Daniel Boulud before anyone knew he existed.

Let's see...there are many more, but these are the ones that came off the top of my head.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:11 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
These all sound great, Merstar! Links please!

I love potato salad, that crunchy ramen noodle salad with bok choy and toasted sesame seeds, salad bar salad (AKA salad in a bag here) with sunflower seeds cottage cheese and peas, a really good coleslaw.
Hi Dawgluver,

Which ones do you want me to link to?
Old 06-04-2014, 10:13 PM   #6
Master Chef

We have a dinner salad almost every night but I hate to make them, not sure why. Steve is in charge of making them and he nightly goes over the top with all kinds of goodies we may have on hand. One must in our dinner salads is strips of pickled beets, no matter what.
If I order a beloved Cobb Salad in a restaurant, it had better come with perfect strips of ingredients over the greens, and not tossed or I'll send it back. Yes, I do ask first.
I love to make my "copy cat" KFC cole slaw..the best ever imo.
A great perfectly made spinach salad is top of the list too.
I can't really think of a salad I don't like.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:21 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by merstar View Post
Hi Dawgluver,

Which ones do you want me to link to?

Hm, let's see... All of them? They all sound good!
Old 06-04-2014, 10:33 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I love salad but I have no recipes for salads. I make them to taste (I must be Chef Michael Smith's twin separated at birth). I love to mix "bitter" greens with regular greens, tomatoes, yellow/orange/red peppers, dehydrated tomatoes, pickled beans, sprouts, berries, nuts, cheese, seeds, and toss it all together with an infused EVOO and specialty vinegar, S&P, some nutritional yeast, some edible flowers, chopped hard cooked eggs, some sesame oil, maybe a bit of grated ginger and soy sauce, fresh chopped herbs, maybe some wild rice or barley. Grated baby beets, carrots, radishes, kohlrabi, zucchini, grated cabbage. Not much help, here. If I've recently made kimchi, I'll use the "juice" from that as the dressing and finely chop some of the kimchi. My go-to 5-bean salad is tossed with homemade salsa and topped with fresh chopped cilantro. When in season, add some fresh chopped cucumbers and fresh tomatoes, onion, grilled corn, green and wax beans, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, rosemary-lemon pickled beans, some chopped fresh kale, swiss chard, or spinach. The older I get, the less often I use recipes except when baking. I wing most of what I cook and use what is on hand--either in the pantry or in the garden or in season.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:36 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Hm, let's see... All of them? They all sound good!
Okay, here ya go. I do tweaks on most of these, but here are the basic recipes - some are posted with the tweaks:

Thai-Style Pasta Salad
Thai-Style Pasta Salad Recipe | Vegetarian Times

Pacific Rim Caesar Salad
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/re...s/views/105973

Citrus Green Bean Salad
Citrus Green Bean Salad Recipe at CooksRecipes.com

Carrot Rapee
Eat@ Recipe Swap & Recipes :

Carrot, Orange, and Radish Salad

Salade de Concombres et Chevre (Cucumber and Goat Cheese Salad)

Thai Cucumber Salad
Thai Cucumber Salad Recipe - Food.com
Old 06-04-2014, 10:37 PM   #10
Head Chef

My favorite right now (it'll change tomorrow or the next day, I'm sure): arugula, white beans, thinly sliced red onions, capers with olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest and a splash of maple syrup in the vinaigrette dressing.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recipe, salad

What are your favorite salads? Here are some of mine - Will post links to any of the recipes if anyone's interested: Thai-Style Pasta Salad Pacific Rim Caesar Salad Citrus Green Bean Salad Carrot Rapee Carrot, Orange, and Radish Salad Salade de Concombres et Chevre (Cucumber and Goat Cheese Salad) Thai Cucumber Salad 3 stars 1 reviews