What Do You Put In Your Potato Salad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Constance said:
Katie, I had a dear friend, too soon gone, that put chopped fresh cucumber in her potato salad. I am not a cucumber lover, but it was delicious!
I never got her recipe (her mother's, actually). I've asked her husband and both daughters about it, but they don't have it either.
Yours recipe sounds a lot like Sara's. I'll bet it's REALLY good!

It is good. At least good enough to win a cooking contest those many years ago.

Buck doesn't like cucumbers at all and he loves this potato salad. That's a good enough endorsement for me.

Last week we tried a cilantro potato salad in our new grocery store. It was delicious and different! Let me know if you'd like the recipe.

Here's one I've been making for many years now that I am perennially asked for. Yes, it's a heart attack on a plate, but SO good - especially if you're a blue cheese lover.

And, although I don't have the recipe here in front of me, I also make a killer warm German-style potato salad using turkey bacon, if anyone's interested.

"Blue Cheese Potato Salad"

3 pounds "White Rose" potatoes (or any other thin-skinned
potato of your choice)
1 cup minced red or Vidalia onion - or shallots
6 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and quartered lengthwise
1 16-ounce container of sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 cup crumbled blue cheese + extra for sprinkling over the top for garnish
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
Parsley for garnish

Cook the unpeeled potatoes in boiling water until tender when pierced with a thin knife or skewer and drain. As soon as they are cool enough to handle, but still warm, cut them into large chunks and place in a large bowl with the onion and the hard-boiled eggs. In another bowl mix the sour cream, mayonnaise, vinegar, blue cheese, salt, pepper, and paprika. Pour over the potatoes and mix gently. Garnish with the extra crumbled blue cheese & parsley and refrigerate until ready to serve.

(I doubled the above recipe for a large platter I brought to a tailgate party. The above "as is" would probably serve anywhere from 6 to 8 people depending on what else you were serving and how much they like blue cheese. Multiply accordingly.)

cjs said:
potatoes, hard-cooked eggs, sweet pickle relish, celery, red onion, bacon bits (freshly cooked bacon), coated with a mixture of either mayo or miracle whip and mustard - s & p.

...and what do you put in yours???

Your potato salad sounds a lot like mine. It only needs a piece of hot fried chicken to go with it.

Toni

Dina said:
Last week we tried a cilantro potato salad in our new grocery store. It was delicious and different! Let me know if you'd like the recipe.

Dina - I made up a cilantro and lime potato salad recipe - it was really good. I know you enjoyed what you had! Another one I did was lime and thyme.

After reading this thread yesterday, I had to make potatoe salad :LOL:

Mine is similar to many of yours; potatoes, celery, onion, green bell pepper, hard boiled eggs, mustard, mayo, celery seed, white vinegar.

Here is one I've played around with, you might like:

Japanese Potato Salad | Just Hungry

I'm not a fan of eggs in potato salad. I like the taste of mayo, and add in any veggies I like (asparagus, green beans, shredded carrots, peas, green onions). Red potatoes, cukes & fresh dill are a few of my faves. Sometimes a little curry powder or a hint of lemon juice. Pesto in place of mayo & lemon zest is another interesting twist.

Here is a link to pesto suggestions, I've shared - the lemon artichoke works well with pasta & potatoes:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/78883-post1.h

Here is a link to a recipe I've shared for cold pasta salad. You can sub out the pasta for potatoes:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f20/sicilian-pasta-salad-14373.html?highlight=cold+sicilian+pasta

Here is a potato salad thread with more ideas:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f11/iso-potato-salad-21890.html?highlight=potato+salad

And...

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/265766-post15.html

Last edited:
Potatoes, boiles eggs, sweet relish, Miracle Whip, mustard, onion, vinegar, salt & pepper. Nice and simple.

Potato salad for me is one of those "never the same twice" dishes. The one exception being German potato salad; when I make that I do follow a recipe. But one time I make potato salad with a vinegarette, another time with Miracle Whip, another time with a salsa, sometimes with hard boiled eggs, sometimes with lots of veggies or pickles, sometimes not. Just depends on what is at hand.

If you ever want to make potatoe salad for a party - I thought this one was pretty easy and good. This recipe was estimated for about 10 people or so - I thought it made way more. It's hard to tell if they're referring to small, medium or big red potatoes. Mine were mostly medium.
Also, I think the 5 cups of dressing is too much. I had originally started
off with 3 and thought it was too much. Than later on as it was starting to
settled a little, I started added some more. I think maybe it ended up being
4 cups so be careful on the dressing part.

* 10 red potatoes
* 6-3/4 eggs
* 5 cups creamy salad dressing

> DIRECTIONS:

1. Bring a small pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes; cook until
tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain and cool.
2. Place eggs in a saucepan, and cover completely with cold water. Bring
water to a boil. Cover, remove from heat, and let eggs stand in hot water
for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, and cool.
3. Peel the eggs and cut around the egg white; keep the yolk whole.
4. Dice the egg whites and potatoes. Combine in a mixing bowl and add the
salad dressing.
5. Toss the potatoes and egg; crumble the egg yolk on top and serve
chilled.

Note* I added 1/2 of a chopped onion, bacon bits, mustard, garlic powder,
salt and pepper and I put some paprika on top.

Katie E said:
In the late '60s, I entered a cooking contest with my potato salad, which was good enough to earn first place.

That is impressive. : )

Red potato
Sammye's Sumptuous Mustard (a yummy smokey mustard)
dill relish
olives w/ pimentos
Seven Sea's Green Goddess salad dressings
celery
egg
place on white bread and devour

yukon golds, diced celery shallot, chives dill parsley, equal parts mayo and sour cream, hb eggs (1 per spud) salt pepper dijon mustard, BACON.

expatgirl said:
All these recipes look so yummy---so if I wanted to search for potato salad recipes on this site where would I go??

Go to the search feature in the dark blue bar at the top of the page - click on Advanced Search - type potato salad on the left and select Titles Only then scroll down and click on Search Now.

Just be sure to spell it right - no e

expatgirl said:
All these recipes look so yummy---so if I wanted to search for potato salad recipes on this site where would I go??

Here ya go:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/search.php?searchid=528012

And
ISO Potato salad

ISO Potato salad

Connie, re the cucumber - check out my link in this thread for Japanese Potato salad - it's one of my favorites.

Japanese Potato Salad | Just Hungry

Another on my list is a link I posted (for legend?) for a sun-dried tomato potato salad.

Like, Claire, I usually change it up a bit and use what's on hand.

Last edited:
Potato Salad with Vinaigrette Dressing

3 pounds small red new potatoes (12-15), sliced 1/4 inch thick
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
1/2 cup black olives, pitted and sliced (optional)

Bring large pot of lightly salted water to boil. Add potatoes. Return to a boil and cook 5-8 minutes or until potatoes are just tender. Drain well. Meanwhile, whisk together vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, sugar, oregano, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Turn potatoes into a large plastic food-storage bag. Add onion and dressing to bag; seal. Set bag aside at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours, turning occasionally to distribute ingredients evenly. Add olives; toss gently to coat. Serve at once or refrigerate.

Since I discovered this one, it's the only one I really like to make, even though my hubby isn't crazy about it after the first day ;-)

Back
Top Bottom