What do you put on your salad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I LOVE salads, and I have a whole philosophy of salads. But I really can't post it here because it's more like a chapter in a book.

Oh, wait! :ermm: It IS a chapter in my book! See the description of Chapter 5!

I LOVE salads, and I have a whole philosophy of salads. But I really can't post it here because it's more like a chapter in a book.

Oh, wait! :ermm: It IS a chapter in my book! See the description of Chapter 5!

If we act within the next 20 minutes will we recieve a complimentary flashlight keychain?

Depends on my mood and what I am serving it with. If it's all I am having, I tend to want a creamier dressing. Some meals I want greek style olive oil with vinegar. With a nice roast beef dinner---NOTHING beats sweetened mayonnaise(or Miracle Whip, your preference) on a wedge of lettuce with a little fresh ground black pepper.

NOTE: sweetened mayo is mayo(miracle whip) a little milk and a little sugar.

At home, lettuce, dressing, cheese, and croutons. Sometimes some chiffonaded ham or turkey cold cuts.

At a salad bar, anything and everthing that will fit into and/or on top of the bowl they give me without falling on the floor, especially stuff that won't keep long in the refrigerator at home.

The salad I have been eating for dinner a couple nights a week lately is: romaine hearts with gorgonzola, craisins and spiced pecans with a raspberry vinagrette dressing. It is SO delicious....hmmmm.....maybe I'll have one tonight.

At home, lettuce, dressing, cheese, and croutons. Sometimes some chiffonaded ham or turkey cold cuts.

At a salad bar, anything and everthing that will fit into and/or on top of the bowl they give me without falling on the floor, especially stuff that won't keep long in the refrigerator at home.

Good call with the Chef Salad.

I really only do 1 type of salad.

Mixed field greens with "marinated" black beans and corn (I put the corn and beans in a tupper ware bowl with Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, lots of Cayenne and Onion Powder. I let it sit for 10-15 minutes). Sometimes I'll had some sliced chicken breast, and some crumbled up tortilla chips (not fond of croutons). and, always a mixture of italian and ranch dressing.

lol chef june. love the plug. clicking on it now.. :)

i forgot about the salads served with sushi: hearts of iceberg topped with raw red and yellow peppers, shaved red onion, cucumbers, and avocado in a creamy ginger or garlic and sesame oil dressing.

Last edited:
i forgot about the salads served with sushi: hearts of iceberg topped with raw red and yellow peppers, shaved red onion, cucumbers, and avacado in a creamy ginger or garlic and sesame oil dressing.

Yeah, those ginger salads are great.

I also like the bigazz salad they serve at Olive Garden. I could eat just that.:LOL:

It depends what kind of salad it is. Regular salad , of lettuce, sweet onions, red cabbage, carrots, with eevo and vinegar as a side dish. If making pasta, I would have lettuce, black olives, evoo , vinegar and cubes of mozzarella on the side.

I love lunch salads made with canned tuna (packed in oil has more flavor), cherry tomatoes, hard boiled egg, and maybe garbanzos or some cheese. Mmm. That's one of my favorite "Spanish" things I've picked up since living here-- canned tuna doesn't always need to be smothered in mayo, and it's great on salads.

Now I know what I'm having for lunch tomorrow.

I made a romaine, green apple, green grape, green pepper, radish, pine nuts, scallion with creamy Italian dressing last night.

Try green grapes with sesame dressing. I think you can find that recipe in my link below (under Asian Fusion on my menu). I've only used mandarins for Asian salads but now I use green grapes.

LOL I love me a "salad" bar. Somhow at the ones that charge by the lb I always end up with the most expensive salad of the bunch :pig:

At home my basic salad is generally romaine with thinly sliced red onions, shaved carrots and tomato slices with a tangy balasamic dressing.

But when more ambitious I like to add shaved cheese toasted nuts and fruit to salads. One of my favorites invloved manchego and rasberry

Could any of you eat a salad everyday for lunch? I have been making salads for lunch more than 10 years, not much else goes along just greens, tomatoes, red peppers, baby cucumbers, dressing, chinese noodles, that is most of the time. I am so burned out on fixing everyday except weekend that I can't bring myself to even eat one myself. Don't you think someone would get tired of this everyday? Only thing I make sure I have to go to store every weekend to get the greens. I am just curious how they can have same thing for so long! Kind of boring to me, but they claim they don't want heavy lunch. How do you feel about eating same thing everyday. Yogurt even gets old to me. Am I spoiled? Thanks for your input. This has been bothering me for some time and like always afraid someone will think my family strange.

the best idea I ever came up with is this; after I fry up some bacon and pour off the grease to lovingly save in the frig, I toss in some sunflower seeds into the frying pan to saute a bit. You end up with the nutrition of the sunflower seeds that tastes like bacon:pig:

I have a friend who makes salad from deconstructed spring roll ingredients - lettuce topped with rice noodles, shredded chicken, carrots, cucumbers and mint, with sesame-ginger dressing. I'm going to do the same thing, but I like basil better than mint :chef:

Has anyone else made Rachael Ray's grilled romaine salad? We love it! We usually make it with grilled tuna (rare) and Parmesan cheese. DH puts bleu cheese dressing on his, I put Italian on mine. Delish!

I'm really into making salads lately. My favorites ingredients are a bed of high quality greens topped with chopped cuke, red or orange pepper slices, sprinkle of chopped carrot, handful of lightly crushed walnuts, pecans, sunflower seeds, dash of toasted sesame seeds, a few craisins. Dressed with some of my wife's killer homemade sesame ginger dressing. Yum! :)

Back
Top Bottom