"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 03-06-2008, 09:46 AM   #31
Master Chef

It depends what kind of salad it is. Regular salad , of lettuce, sweet onions, red cabbage, carrots, with eevo and vinegar as a side dish. If making pasta, I would have lettuce, black olives, evoo , vinegar and cubes of mozzarella on the side.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:53 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Yeah, those ginger salads are great.

I also like the bigazz salad they serve at Olive Garden. I could eat just that.
Me too - with the garlic breadsticks and some marinara sauce for dipping, I'm all set

Old 03-06-2008, 03:18 PM   #33
Senior Cook

I love lunch salads made with canned tuna (packed in oil has more flavor), cherry tomatoes, hard boiled egg, and maybe garbanzos or some cheese. Mmm. That's one of my favorite "Spanish" things I've picked up since living here-- canned tuna doesn't always need to be smothered in mayo, and it's great on salads.

Now I know what I'm having for lunch tomorrow.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:17 AM   #34
Executive Chef

I made a romaine, green apple, green grape, green pepper, radish, pine nuts, scallion with creamy Italian dressing last night.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:25 AM   #35
Assistant Cook

Try green grapes with sesame dressing. I think you can find that recipe in my link below (under Asian Fusion on my menu). I've only used mandarins for Asian salads but now I use green grapes.
PJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:44 AM   #36
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
At a salad bar, anything and everthing that will fit into and/or on top of the bowl they give me without falling on the floor, especially stuff that won't keep long in the refrigerator at home.
LOL I love me a "salad" bar. Somhow at the ones that charge by the lb I always end up with the most expensive salad of the bunch

At home my basic salad is generally romaine with thinly sliced red onions, shaved carrots and tomato slices with a tangy balasamic dressing.

But when more ambitious I like to add shaved cheese toasted nuts and fruit to salads. One of my favorites invloved manchego and rasberry
Old 04-10-2008, 10:06 AM   #37
Executive Chef

Could any of you eat a salad everyday for lunch? I have been making salads for lunch more than 10 years, not much else goes along just greens, tomatoes, red peppers, baby cucumbers, dressing, chinese noodles, that is most of the time. I am so burned out on fixing everyday except weekend that I can't bring myself to even eat one myself. Don't you think someone would get tired of this everyday? Only thing I make sure I have to go to store every weekend to get the greens. I am just curious how they can have same thing for so long! Kind of boring to me, but they claim they don't want heavy lunch. How do you feel about eating same thing everyday. Yogurt even gets old to me. Am I spoiled? Thanks for your input. This has been bothering me for some time and like always afraid someone will think my family strange.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:55 AM   #38
Executive Chef

the best idea I ever came up with is this; after I fry up some bacon and pour off the grease to lovingly save in the frig, I toss in some sunflower seeds into the frying pan to saute a bit. You end up with the nutrition of the sunflower seeds that tastes like bacon
Old 04-10-2008, 12:38 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a friend who makes salad from deconstructed spring roll ingredients - lettuce topped with rice noodles, shredded chicken, carrots, cucumbers and mint, with sesame-ginger dressing. I'm going to do the same thing, but I like basil better than mint

Has anyone else made Rachael Ray's grilled romaine salad? We love it! We usually make it with grilled tuna (rare) and Parmesan cheese. DH puts bleu cheese dressing on his, I put Italian on mine. Delish!
Old 07-16-2008, 04:53 PM   #40
Assistant Cook

I'm really into making salads lately. My favorites ingredients are a bed of high quality greens topped with chopped cuke, red or orange pepper slices, sprinkle of chopped carrot, handful of lightly crushed walnuts, pecans, sunflower seeds, dash of toasted sesame seeds, a few craisins. Dressed with some of my wife's killer homemade sesame ginger dressing. Yum! :-)

Tags
None