What do you put on your salad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
usually walnuts or pecans, fruit, & spray-on italian dressingor oliveoil & balsamic vinegar. plus bleu cheese.

At home, lettuce, dressing, cheese, and croutons. Sometimes some chiffonaded ham or turkey cold cuts.

At a salad bar, anything and everthing that will fit into and/or on top of the bowl they give me without falling on the floor, especially stuff that won't keep long in the refrigerator at home.

same here. cooking for one, limits what i keep on hand. can't really freeze the indg. love salad bars.

babe :chef:

Salads are Super

All the salads listed in thread....SUPER. Always have romaine greens, arugula and then lots of other veggies.

Dressing: I use the cruet. Red wine vinegar, balsamic, and EVOO...add
1/2 pkg of the Italian Seven Seas spices. Shake and leave at room temp.

I never add croutons.

Don't know the graphics

Under my name section....there are three graphics. I have been away from the forums for a while.

What are they? They must have a meaning? Curious Aria

I love a good Greek salad.. tomatoes, cukes, onions, red peppers
with a olive oil and vinegar, salt,pepper and oregano dressing.
A little feta doesn't hurt.

Sorry, what are cukes?...I looked it up, they are cucumbers, right?

I don't go as crazy here at home but if I'm at a salad bar I go nuts. Along with the salad blend I add spinach if they have that and some of each of the veggies, olives, cheese, croutons, sesame seeds and usually french dressing.

I do like greek salads very much though and if the resturant has that then I'll order it instead.

Sorry, what are cukes?...I looked it up, they are cucumbers, right?

Sorry Faye, no one's got back til now. Yes, cukes are cucumbers.

I like all the above, and just cukes with mayo whipped in with red wine vinegar, oil salt & pepper, but it has to sit overnight, and have italian bread for mopping.

Feta cheese isn't a must in Greek salad, it's an extra. Feta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you do want to add some kind of cheese, though, I would add kefalotyri or kefalograviera, see links: Kefalotyri cheese - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Kefalograviera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Kefalograviera - Greek Cheeses - Buying and Cooking Guide

the last link tells you which cheeses you can substitute for kefalograviera. Both cheeses are similar in taste and texture. Kefalotyri is mostly used on spaghetti.

You could also try anthotyro which is similar to feta but doesn't have any salt. It's texture is a bit different too. See below link: Anthotyros cheese - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ok Jeekinz, here's one combo to start, I'll be back with more!!

Dried cranberries, crumbled feta cheese and candied pecans* tossed with mixed greens and oil & vinegar, salt & pepper to taste.

* Candied Pecans

4 ounces pecans
2 tbs sugar
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tbs unsalted butter, melted
1 egg white, lightly beaten

In a large bowl, toss pecans with sugar, cayenne, melted butter and egg white; place on parchment lined baking sheet and bake in a preheated 300F oven for 20 minutes.

hope "Dried cranberries" is a very good recipe, will try it for sure today.

thanks for sharing it here...

Back
Top Bottom