What do you put on your salad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
I made one last night that turned out to be the main course with a side of quiche. lol

Romaine, sliced raddish, diced green apple, shaved carrot, diced cucumber, scallions red and green bell pepper, diced Feta. I dressed it with Creamy Italian, salt and pepper.

Now that I think of it, I had two packaged of croutons I could have used. :ermm:

other than make my own simple dressing for salads, I AM partial to those Crispy fried onions and bacon bits :)

I love a good Greek salad.. tomatoes, cukes, onions, red peppers
with a olive oil and vinegar, salt,pepper and oregano dressing.
A little feta doesn't hurt.

I love greek salads too!

I like olives, red bell pepper, dried cranberries, candied pecans, feta, shredded carrots, celery, avocado, spring onions, hard boiled eggs, apples...but not all together in one salad!!!

I'm also not fond of thick dressings, just a little extra virgin olive oil & balsamic vinegar with salt and pepper.

Oh and I love warm spinach salads!

I love greek salads too!

I like olives, red bell pepper, dried cranberries, candied pecans, feta, shredded carrots, celery, avocado, spring onions, hard boiled eggs, apples...but not all together in one salad!!!

I'm also not fond of thick dressings, just a little extra virgin olive oil & balsamic vinegar with salt and pepper.

Oh and I love warm spinach salads!

Give us some combos of those ingredients.

Out normal everyday salad is- sliced red onions, sliced cukes, cherry tomatoes, black olives (if have) and grated parms., with choice of dressings.

Ok Jeekinz, here's one combo to start, I'll be back with more!!

Dried cranberries, crumbled feta cheese and candied pecans* tossed with mixed greens and oil & vinegar, salt & pepper to taste.

* Candied Pecans

4 ounces pecans
2 tbs sugar
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tbs unsalted butter, melted
1 egg white, lightly beaten

In a large bowl, toss pecans with sugar, cayenne, melted butter and egg white; place on parchment lined baking sheet and bake in a preheated 300F oven for 20 minutes.

I'm a salad lover -- how much time have you got? :LOL: One of my faves is salad nicoise, or eggplant, or waldorf, or cobb, or caesar, or pasta, or seafood, or basil & tomato. Any fresh ingredients - avaocado, fruit etc., and/or roasted veggies - sparagus, green beans, tomaters. Panzanella, during the hot summer months, is a goodie. Too many to name.

Last edited:
I love a good Greek salad.. tomatoes, cukes, onions, red peppers
with a olive oil and vinegar, salt,pepper and oregano dressing.
A little feta doesn't hurt.

no anchovies? or dolmades? :ermm: that's what makes a salad greek to me.

i like goat cheese, toasted pumpkin seeds, craisins, walnuts, and sliced pears on my mesculun, in a raspberry viniagrette.

or pignolis, shaved locatelli, and marinated mushrooms over arrugula/endive/radicchio, in balsamic viniagrette.

Other than whatever dressing I'm in the mood for, crumbled blue cheese goes on the top of every "conventional" salad I make. I should really start putting croutons on my salad again, but always crumbled blue cheese.

oh yeah, nearly forgot, if I do a beansprout salad, I will add smashed cashews or peanuts and always sesame seeds.

Ok Jeekinz, here's one combo to start, I'll be back with more!!

Dried cranberries, crumbled feta cheese and candied pecans* tossed with mixed greens and oil & vinegar, salt & pepper to taste.

* Candied Pecans

4 ounces pecans
2 tbs sugar
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tbs unsalted butter, melted
1 egg white, lightly beaten

In a large bowl, toss pecans with sugar, cayenne, melted butter and egg white; place on parchment lined baking sheet and bake in a preheated 300F oven for 20 minutes.

That sounds awesome. :chef:

How about Iceberg Wedges? Bleu cheese dressing, bacon, carrot, cucumber, spanish olives and crumbled bleu cheese.

Nothing beats a good salad and glass of white wine IMHO.

I usually like some sort of cheese, maybe some toasted pine nuts on just about any kind of greens. Crumbled bacon is a plus and coarse black pepper. Love fresh chopped veggies as well! I am pretty easy when it comes to salads. But as for a dressing, I love fresh lemon juice, evoo, and coarse salt. That is my favorite here lately!

Depends on the base we use. If it is mixed hearts I top with shredded cheese, croûtons, grilled chicken strips, bacon bits, shredded carrots, sliced radishes, black pepper, and a blue cheese dressings.
If we go with the lighter greens we top with Gorgonzola, dried cranberries, walnuts, grilled chicken strips, and a raspberry vinaigrette. Sometimes the wife will top an iceberg mix with seafood mix and dressing.

BuckyT, can you come over and make me a salad? Thanks!

(yummy!)

no prob, kitty. :chef: ok, one more fave, margherita salad: arrugula, basil, red peppers, prosciutto, and fresh bufala mozz salad..

i forgot about other "salads", like the ones amy mentioned.

shrimp and white bean salad, seafood salad, korean octopus salad, seaweed salad, pasta/artichoke/sundried tomato salad, etc. etc.

you could sound like bubba from "forrest gump" after a while.

Yeah, I was kinda focusing on lettuce-type of salads. Not the mayo based ones like potato salad. (yes, I know you don't need to have mayo, lol)

We like our salads full to veggies and keep the lettuce down to a minimum.
Here are some of the things we like:
Meat: chicken, bacon bits
Cheeses: boursin, goat cheese, blue, fresh mozz
Fruits: grapes, mandarin oranges, apples, pears
Nuts: toasted pine nuts, candied walnuts or pecans
Veggies: avocado, cukes, celery, carrots, tomato, green peppers, mushrooms, etc.

We always have all the veggies above in our salads and one choice in each of the categories. makes for a huge tasty salad!

I like cucumbers, roasted red pepper, avocado, tomatoes (roma or fresh from the garden), capers, pine nuts and Parmesan cheese with Italian dressing, or sometimes I use feta instead of Parmesan with Greek dressing instead of Italian.

Back
Top Bottom