What dressing for tomato, avocado and red onion salad,quickly before my wife arrives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
I watched cooking at home with jacques and julia last night , They made an avocado, tomato and red onion salad , but i wasnt paying attention to what he put on as a dressing.

just salt and pepper?

Olive oil and vinegar ??

any other suggestions

my wife will be home in 15 minutes

thanks in advance,

larry

I don't remember the episode, but both Julia and Jacques were into basic techniques and simple ingredients. Those shows were made before the 'fads' of balsamic, pomegranate, raspberry, etc.

I'd go with your first impression of just salt, pepper, olive oil, and a good wine vinegar. They usually emulsified with a little dijon and included some chopped shallot.

VEry good. there was none left. I know it was something basic and simple, with just so little time to prepare it , i didnt have time to play around, which is why i was looking for a few solid suggestions. Now that I have time before I do it again, I could research a little more and see what other possibilities there are .

Me too Constance! "Catalina" was one of the few sweetish dressings I actually liked. I haven't bought it in awhile - is it still around?

I used to love slicing an avocado in half, filling the pit holes with Catalina, & just enjoying both halves that way for lunch.

I haven't tried this recipe yet, but might be fun experimenting with:

Catalina Dressing

1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 dash Paprika
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
minced onion -- to taste
1/2 cup vinegar
2/3 cup ketchup
1 cup vegetable oil

Place all ingredients into blender and mix. Store in jar in refrigerator.

Description: "Kraft Catalina Dressing recipe from CDKitchen.com"

Yield: 3 cups

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom