What makes aioli?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
I’ve been reading a bit about aioli I was spurred to the research by a Kraft product called “garlic aioli.” I’m not knocking the product; it’s very garlicky, but used sparingly it’s quite good. It’s the name I object to. “Garlic Aioli?” Isn’t that redundant?

From Wikipedia:
Since the late 1980s, many people call all flavored mayonnaises aioli. Flavorings include saffron and chili. However, some purists insist that flavored mayonnaise can contain garlic, but true aioli contains no seasoning other than garlic.

Do you agree with the purists? Can any flavored emulsion be called “aioli?” Even if there’s little or no garlic?

My latest posts have stirred controversy and argument for some reason, when all they’re meant to do is encourage discussion. Please don’t turn this thread into a fight!

And just an aside. Kraft’s Garlic Aioli, straight from their Department of Redundancy Department, turns a sausage, egg, and cheese breakfast croissant into a more “adult” dinner sandwich. Add some sliced onions, or sautéed mushrooms, or both, a dab of “Garlic Aioli” to each side of the bun (you can broil or toast the bun. Actually you should!) and a couple of slices of your favorite deli cheese, and voilà! I like American cheese best (Boar’s Head whole milk yellow).

And to those denizens of DC who are Jewish, L’shana Tovah!

In my best Groucho Marx, "I don't know abou' choo, but a goil wit gams does the trick..."

I’ve been reading a bit about aioli I was spurred to the research by a Kraft product called “garlic aioli.” I’m not knocking the product; it’s very garlicky, but used sparingly it’s quite good. It’s the name I object to. “Garlic Aioli?” Isn’t that redundant?

Yes. Marketing doesn't always make sense.

Do you agree with the purists? Can any flavored emulsion be called “aioli?” Even if there’s little or no garlic?

Yes.

No.

Remoulade is also a flavored emulsion, but it's not aioli.

Aioli is garlic mayonnaise. As long as you start with that as a base, I guess you could add other flavors and identify the aioli by those flavors. Sriracha aioli, curry aioli etc.'

From Wikipedia:

My latest posts have stirred controversy and argument for some reason, when all they’re meant to do is encourage discussion. Please don’t turn this thread into a fight!

And just an aside. Kraft’s Garlic Aioli, straight from their Department of Redundancy Department, turns a sausage, egg, and cheese breakfast croissant into a more “adult” dinner sandwich. Add some sliced onions, or sautéed mushrooms, or both, a dab of “Garlic Aioli” to each side of the bun (you can broil or toast the bun. Actually you should!) and a couple of slices of your favorite deli cheese, and voilà! I like American cheese best (Boar’s Head whole milk yellow).

And to those denizens of DC who are Jewish, L’shana Tovah!
"Isn’t that redundant?" Certainly is.

And the idea of Kraft making it gives me the shivers unless I remember that there are people who for various reasons aren't allowed to eat raw eggs. (And I don't like Kraft - they, or one of their subsidiaries bought out Cadbury's, the British chocolate company, and CHANGED THE RECIPE OF THE DAIRY MILK CHOCOLATE!!!! (They say they haven't but they have and it doesn't taste the same!)

I'm not Jewish (Church of England on my official documents but not really anything) but may I ask what L'shana Tovah is?

"Isn’t that redundant?" Certainly is.

And the idea of Kraft making it gives me the shivers unless I remember that there are people who for various reasons aren't allowed to eat raw eggs. (And I don't like Kraft - they, or one of their subsidiaries bought out Cadbury's, the British chocolate company, and CHANGED THE RECIPE OF THE DAIRY MILK CHOCOLATE!!!! (They say they haven't but they have and it doesn't taste the same!)

I'm not Jewish (Church of England on my official documents but not really anything) but may I ask what L'shana Tovah is?
L’shana Tovah is the Jewish New Year’s greeting. Literally, it means “good year.”

I've made it a few times but the wife discovered it in a bottle. It's called garlic aioli and we love it. I have it with my fries. My grandkids all love it too. Easier than making from scratch.

Russ

From Wiktionary,

"Etymology
"Borrowed from French aïoli, from Occitan alhòli, from alh (“garlic”) +‎ òli (“oil”)."

So, yes, it's redundant to specify the garlic. If it's aioli, it has to have garlic.

Of course they may just mean that the garlic is the only seasoning.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom