What makes your cole slaw the best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

B'sgirl

Sous Chef
Like usual, I have a basic recipe but I would love to hear your tips as to how to make it unique or give it that special "zing".

This recipe is great and the slaw keeps for ages, dressed, in the fridge. I add pumpkin and sunflower seeds to my already dressed slaw along with heaps of chopped parsley and corn kernels.

Boil together;

1 1/4 cups white vinegar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 1/4 t mustard seeds
1/2 t turmeric
1 t celery seeds
1 t salt

When just boiled and sugar dissolved, remove from heat and cool. Then add 1 cup vegetable oil.

This will dress a large amount of slaw and any leftover will keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks. :)

This is my version ........
2 c mayonnaise
1/3 c sugar
4 Tbl white vinegar
4 Tbl prepared horseradish​
1/2 tsp celery seed

Makes about 2 1/2 cups.
Use 1 cup of dressing for each 8 ounces of shredded cabbage, about​
1/2 a small head or 2 cups.

since you asked, it's this dressing:

Sweet and Sour Celery Seed Dressing

makes approximately 2 cups of dressing

2 egg yolks at room temperature
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 cup sunflower oil
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup clover honey
salt and white pepper
Dash of Worcestershire sauce
Dash of hot pepper sauce
1 tablespoon celery seeds

1. In a food processor fitted with the metal blade, place the egg yolks and 3 tablespoons vinegar. With the machine running, gradually drizzle the oil through the feed tube until the mixture is emulsified into a mayonnaise.
2. Add all the remaining ingredients and process until well blended. The dressing will thin out considerably. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to let flavors come together.

Like usual, I have a basic recipe but I would love to hear your tips as to how to make it unique or give it that special "zing".
As you say...basic ingredients, then I add some chopped pineapple & sultanas that I've soaked in warm water, oh and a chopped sweet apple, goes down well :chef:

My slaw is the best for its simplicity, relative healthyness, and how great it is on sandwhiches!!

Mikeys Vinegar Based Slaw (inspired by the famous Primanti Bros)

1/4 head cabbage (shredded fine). Add 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar, 4 tablespoons white sugar. Add salt, pepper (to taste, id say 2 teaspoons each. (optional, 1 tablespoon honey mustard, dash white wine). Let marinate for at least 5 hours, up to 2 days!

Enjoy!

Returned to site after years away,so glad I did!

I lost this recipe a long time ago and voila! Here it is!

This recipe is great and the slaw keeps for ages, dressed, in the fridge. I add pumpkin and sunflower seeds to my already dressed slaw along with heaps of chopped parsley and corn kernels.

Boil together;

1 1/4 cups white vinegar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 1/4 t mustard seeds
1/2 t turmeric
1 t celery seeds
1 t salt

When just boiled and sugar dissolved, remove from heat and cool. Then add 1 cup vegetable oil.

This will dress a large amount of slaw and any leftover will keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks. :)

Hi Lynan. Welcome back after being gone so very long. Hope you'll stick around, I really like many of your posts from long ago before I was here.

Thanks for this recipe..it looks good, and I'll give it a try. My favorite cole slaw is a copycat of Kentucky Fried Chicken.

I never cared much for anyone's coleslaw, so I developed my own:

Creamy Cole Slaw​

Ingredients:

16oz bag coleslaw mix
½ cup olive oil Miracle Whip
2 Tbs sour cream
2 Tbs grated Spanish onion
2 Tbs agave nectar
2 Tbs white vinegar
1 Tbs dry mustard
2 tsp garlic salt
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Instructions:

Place the coleslaw mix in a large bowl. Whisk together the Miracle Whip, sour cream, onion, sugar, vinegar, mustard, garlic salt, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl, add it to the cabbage mixture and mix well to combine. Adjust seasoning as desired.

This is my ( well, not my, it's from a wonderful book called American Classics, that a good friend gave to me). Here it is, faithfully written from that book:

1 pound red or green cabbage, shredded fine or chopped. (I prefer shredded by hand, very thin). Salt. 1 medium carrot, peeled and shredded 1/2 cup buttermilk, 2 tbsp mayonnaise, 2 tbsp sour cream, 1 small shallot, minced ( about 2 tbsp, 2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley leaves, 1/2 tsp cider cider vinegar, 1/4 Dijon mustard, 1/2 tsp sugar, 1/8 ground black pepper.

Toss the wshredded cabbage and salt in a colander or large mesh strainer set over a bowl, qnd let stand until the cabbage wilts, at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours. Rinse the cabbage under cold running water (or in a large bowl of ice water if serving immediately). Press, but do not squease, to drain; pat dry with paper towels. Place the wilted cabbage and the grated carrato in a large bowl.
2. Stir buttermilk, mayonnaise, sour cream, shallot, parsley, vinegar, sugar, 1/4 tsp sqlt wnd pepper in a small bowl. Pour the buttermilk dressing over the wilted cabbage, and refrigerate until ready to serve. (Coleslaw can be covered and refriferated for up to 3 days).

This recipe is taken from the book 'The Best Recipe AMERICAN CLASSICS', published by Boston Common Press, Brookline, Massachutsetts, www.cooksillustrated.com.

This book is a WOW! I love it! It's a showcase for the best known American recipes, leaving plenty of room for family recipes and other things of great interest about American cookery, which is one od many reasons why I keep in touch with you guys.

di reston (And for those who are of older age, I am closely related to an eminent journalist of yours, one James Reston, who worked in New York, He was my uncle.)

"Go to" for me is angel hair slaw with grated carrot and celery seed with Marzetti's original slaw dressing. It is quick and easy. I really like Emeril's Maw Maw slaw and really, really like the slaw made by my SIL's aunt Linda. I hate using "The Best" for describing anything because I may never find it!:ROFLMAO:

My cole slaw doesn't have a recipe. I just throw it together not measuring, just tasting. That's how my mother did it. That's how she did all her cooking. It is very similar to that one post by Sir Loin.

I grew up on a very basic slaw of shredded cabbage and carrots, coated with mayo and salt and pepper...

I still prefer that simple slaw although I've, lately been trying out different dressings, depending on what the slaw goes with..

Blu cheese if I'm serving with wings, sesame or poppy seed dressing for fish or shrimp tacos, etc., etc..

Ross

Back
Top Bottom