What’s your favourite salad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's an interesting page:

The Nutritional Value of Lettuces

Of course, the vitamin content of lettuce depends on how it's grown. Lettuce that has it's leaves spread during growth, as opposed to those which grow with tight heads, have more vitamins that are sunlight dependant.

Hydroponic lettuces that are grown with maxed out nutrients and organically grown lettuces that are grown in maxed out organic soil are WAY above the rest when vitamins are in question.

With hydroponic veggies, the ratio is about 10 times of what is in commonly grown soil veggies.

The Wedge is now a retro item harkening back to the sixties and seventies steak houses. It is a high profit item and that is it's main appeal in the restaurant world.

Gosh I don't remember wedges in the 60's and 70's.......I probably blocked it out of my memory. :LOL:
Hey Bea, (and everyone) do you remember Green Goddess dressing that was so popular in that time period? It was wonderful, and the only way I would eat a little bit of salad.

Woo Hoo!! Look at this! Guess what I'm making today!
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...asil-green-goddess-dressing-recipe/index.html

Last edited:
A freind of mine always asks for his salads to be tossed when he goes out.
I asked for mine the same way and what a difference it made to the ordinary salad I had been eating at that restaurant for years. It really makes a difference. You dont get a big mouth of dressing and then a big mouth of salad.

Lets see....Chicken, Tuna, Rabbit, Olive, Egg, Pasta, Shrimp, Fruit, Congealed, Carrot, Potato, ... to name a few....There are so many. ~~ However since it seems everyone is talking about "Green" salad in some form or another...I usually keep it pretty simple..a couple or so lettuces, spinach, tomato (in season) or cherry (grape) tomatoes otherwise...Maybe a radish....I like cukes, but they don't like me. Hard boiled eggs...and either Grilled Chicken or "Boiled"Shrimp with either the 'Mother Sauce of Mississippi' or this Olive oil, garlic, caper, anchovy concoction that I brew up as a dressing.

Fun!

my all time favorite is spinach with hot bacon and vinegar dressing. i like grated hard boiled egg and sesame seeds on it as well.

That's a goodun. I never had it with the sesame seeds. Next time.

I'm the other way around! I love iceberg lettuce when it's used to provide a real leafy crunch to a salad. It's only packed with vitamins when hydroponically or organically grown iceberg, but even the non-nutritional iceberg from the stores is good for a crunchy addition to other non-crunchy leafy veggies.

How boring the world would be if we all loved the same things!

^^This

Cajun chicken and avocado

I love avocado... so the combination with spicy cajun chicken, fresh lettuce, tomato, sprouts, feta and perhaps some peppadews makes a perfect salad for me.

I like a good waldorf salad made with crisp apples, celery, grapes, walnuts & a sour cream/whip dressing. Especially around the holidays.

Another favorite for the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday: Cinnamon jello with red hot candies melted in it with applesauce.

Salad is a "no brainer" for me. I like zucchini grated with lemon and EVVO, fresh tarragon. S&P. I like fresh greens with EVOO, vinegar, S&P and herbs. I don't "make" salads based on a recipe--I make them based on fresh ingredients and taste. I don't have a favorite salad recipe, but I would say I like the zucchini slaw.

My favorite salad is in a big bowl with baby leaves, apple and raisin. squeezed lemon and olive oil

I like baby spinach with dried cranberries, radish sprouts, green onion, grape tomatoes, chopped pecans and a sesame-ginger dressing. If I have them, and I usually do, I like to add drained mandarin oranges.

I like baby spinach with dried cranberries, radish sprouts, green onion, grape tomatoes, chopped pecans and a sesame-ginger dressing. If I have them, and I usually do, I like to add drained mandarin oranges.

Sounds like a great special for work.

Back
Top Bottom