"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 10-24-2011, 09:04 AM   #41
Executive Chef

tri colore (endive, radicchio, arugala) with a simple vinaigrette, or a classic Caesar

Old 10-24-2011, 04:54 PM   #42
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
my all time favorite is spinach with hot bacon and vinegar dressing. i like grated hard boiled egg and sesame seeds on it as well.
This sounds very interesting. Will have to make this for myself sometime.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:00 PM   #43
Senior Cook

I also love thai papaya salad- som tam, its hot and sweet and sour with shrimp and peanut s, really lovely and one of my favourites
Old 10-28-2011, 02:48 PM   #44
Head Chef

I suppose that in general terms my favorite is the simple Caesar salad. You can do so much with it. It makes a good starter or accompaniment to a meal or add a protein and it's a meal itself.

Taco salad, defined somewhat loosely, is another favorite. Sometimes I use taco meat while other times I use fajita-style meats. For sauce I usually mix sour cream & salsa, then add cheese, onions, black olives, etc. This is one time I prefer shredded iceberg.

I do like spinach salads too but only with sweet dressings, which I normally try to avoid. I don't eat any sugar when I can help it and I'm starting to suspect that it's best to limit consumption of artificial sweeteners as well. That's a challenge since I really like the flavor of Splenda. Overall I don't have much of a sweet tooth, which is good, but I drink Powerade Zero a couple times a week. A little off topic, I realize, but the long and the short of it is I'm trying to embrace a diet of more whole and natural foods. As I get older I'm starting to realize I can't eat just anything and stay healthy anymore!
Old 11-10-2011, 09:23 PM   #45
Assistant Cook

If i feel like filling salad, chicken ceasar with loads of dressing or potatoe salad with bacon and egg.
But if its just a side salad, then fresh tossed greens(mainly baby spinach and ice berg, or cos lettuce) plain and easy!
Old 11-10-2011, 09:43 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

I like red potatos boiled then smashed a little then add mayo that has chopped fresh dill, capers and smoked salmon pieces added add a little Dijon to color the mayo mixture add a little evoo to make it spreadable mix all together add salt and pepper place on a bed of freeze after fist tasting and then adding some fresh lemon juice to brighten the salad.
kades
Old 11-13-2011, 06:18 AM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

I take some (about one or two large tablespoons) freshly grated Parmasan or Romano cheese and sprinkle it in a non-stick sautee' pan until it melts. I immediately remove it when it has melted and shape over a large custard bowl allowing it to cool and form a bowl. These become individual salad bowls. Everyone gets one. They are always a big hit. For holiday salads I make a chefs salad like no other. It has everything cut to bite size. That big salad bowl is empty by the time it makes it around the table.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:20 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I take some (about one or two large tablespoons) freshly grated Parmasan or Romano cheese and sprinkle it in a non-stick sautee' pan until it melts. I immediately remove it when it has melted and shape over a large custard bowl allowing it to cool and form a bowl. These become individual salad bowls. Everyone gets one. They are always a big hit. For holiday salads I make a chefs salad like no other. It has everything cut to bite size. That big salad bowl is empty by the time it makes it around the table.
What a great idea! Thanks for the great tip.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:06 PM   #49
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Cabbage salad made with mayonnaise or boiled dressing is what was considered salad in our house growing up and is still my first choice.

Most of the time in the summer we just had a dish of tomato slices, cucumber slices or green onions from the garden.

My first encounters with a tossed salad were in restaurants in my early teens. I like everything about them but the lettuce so I leave that out.
I am trying to picture a tossed salad with out lettuce.........
Old 11-13-2011, 08:14 PM   #50
Head Chef

[QUOTE=Kayelle;1049169]It's hard to believe that some restaurants now try to pass off those wedges of Iceberg lettuce as some kind of a whoop-tee-do gourmet salad!! Geeze, whata crock!

Classic Iceburg Wedge

Tags
recipe, salad

What’s your favourite salad? I remember that, when I was a child some 40 years ago, you could basically have two kinds of salad: some lettuce + oil, vinegar, salt and pepper or some lettuce and tomatoes + oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. And that’s probably the main reason why we children generally loathed salads… :lol: But things changed! Today you can have an almost endless choice of salads, thank God, and this is one of my favourite: – [I]rucola, radicchio, Tropea red onion, cherry tomato, capers, black olives[/I] with – [I]extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper[/I]. Now, I wonder, what are you favourite salads? Just oil&vinegar or some rich mayonnaise? Only vegs or meat and fish too? Ok, now that the pills defeated my backache, I’m running to my greengrocer! :pig: 3 stars 1 reviews