"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 11-14-2011, 09:41 PM   #61
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

I started making it without adding sour cream or mayo, which is how I had learned in the restaurant, I like the non-creamy better.
So is it just a standard vinagrette, with the addition of bleu cheese?

Old 11-14-2011, 09:44 PM   #62
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
So is it just a standard vinagrette, with the addition of bleu cheese?
Yes, it's really good.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:47 PM   #63
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady

What is the 'Mother Sauce of Mississippi'?
Is that UB's Comeback Sauce? He posted it awhile back.

Thanks, PF! I have a nice little chunk of bleu. Will give it a try!
Old 12-01-2011, 11:59 PM   #64
Executive Chef

One of my favorite salads I make often is Cabbage salad with Blue Cheese dressing. It can have something added like sliced apple or radish or a slice of onion, or just snipped green onion tops. Sliced tomato in season. Not all of these at any time, and Usually, it's just dressed cabbage. I add the dressing to the shredded cabbage just before serving. It doesn't marinate and the dressing doesn't draw the water from the cabbage as happens with cole slaw. I like cole slaw too as a salad.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:18 PM   #65
Cook

My favorite is baby spinach with peeled and sectioned clementines, sliced strawberries and sunflower seeds. with a dressing made from oil, cider vinegar, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, Worcestershire sauce and chopped onion. Tastes good and feels like you're eating healthy.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:57 AM   #66
Assistant Cook

Smile Strawberry & Goat Cheese Salad

Here is my favorite salad.

Strawberry & Goat Cheese Salad
8 cups greens
2 cups sliced strawberries
2 green onions, sliced
2 oz goat cheese
1/4 cup salted Marcona almonds (Spanish, unpeeled almonds)
Juice of 1 lemon
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp honey

Spread lettuce over a large platter. Top with strawberries, green onions, and almonds, then crumble the goat cheese over the salad. In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, mustard, honey, and olive oil. Sprinkle salad with a pinch of salt & pepper then drizzle on the dressing and toss. Serve immediately. Makes 6 servings.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:22 PM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire

Bib lettuce in rice vinegar. Something very simple and not filling.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:34 PM   #68
Chef Extraordinaire

A favorite around the table for the holidays is a traditional waldorf salad made ith diced granny smith & red apples, diced/unpeeled, celery, walnuts, grapes & lightly tossed with whipped heavy whipping cream & a touch of sour cream & honey.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:53 PM   #69
Master Chef

There used to be a chain when I lived in Hawaii called something like Monterrey Bay Cannery that made the best crab cobb salad. But, in fact, I just love salads, period and these all sound so good. I'm going to have to try to remember some of them. I cannot say I have a favorite. But that's pretty much me about almost everything. To much to love. I love a good salad nicoise, one thing I make often for dinner in the summer. I like my baby greens from the garden, but also like iceberg when I want some crunch, all kinds of cabbage, and spinach. In the winter I often use canned and/or pickled vegetables for some zest. I agree that there are some basic recipes that do well for changing seasonally.

Tags
recipe, salad

What’s your favourite salad? I remember that, when I was a child some 40 years ago, you could basically have two kinds of salad: some lettuce + oil, vinegar, salt and pepper or some lettuce and tomatoes + oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. And that’s probably the main reason why we children generally loathed salads… :lol: But things changed! Today you can have an almost endless choice of salads, thank God, and this is one of my favourite: – [I]rucola, radicchio, Tropea red onion, cherry tomato, capers, black olives[/I] with – [I]extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper[/I]. Now, I wonder, what are you favourite salads? Just oil&vinegar or some rich mayonnaise? Only vegs or meat and fish too? Ok, now that the pills defeated my backache, I’m running to my greengrocer! :pig: 3 stars 1 reviews