What’s your favourite salad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luca Lazzari

Sous Chef
I remember that, when I was a child some 40 years ago, you could basically have two kinds of salad: some lettuce + oil, vinegar, salt and pepper or some lettuce and tomatoes + oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. And that’s probably the main reason why we children generally loathed salads… :LOL:
But things changed! Today you can have an almost endless choice of salads, thank God, and this is one of my favourite:

rucola, radicchio, Tropea red onion, cherry tomato, capers, black olives
with
extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper.

Now, I wonder, what are you favourite salads?
Just oil&vinegar or some rich mayonnaise? Only vegs or meat and fish too?

Ok, now that the pills defeated my backache, I’m running to my greengrocer! :pig:

I like to start with a bed of baby spinach and top it with shredded radish, carrot, and beets. On top of this goes onions and sprouts. Then comes the legume layer: garbanzos, green peas, or black beans. Whatever I have on hand. I am not picky about dressing. Sometimes it is just vinegar and oil (olive or walnut). Other times I'm in the mood for something creamy. Parmigiano and black pepper is a favorite. After the dressing, I like to top the whole thing off with a handful of chopped walnuts or sunflower seeds.

I have this three or four times a week for lunch.

Now I am hungry!

Probably my favorite salad is a taco salad.
I do love a nice wilted salad though. One where the Italian dressing and crumbled blue cheese have been put on your basic green salad (lettuce, tomatos, cukes) and then left to sit out at room temp for a few hours. I love the way everything comes together. I should make these more, but I never think of it early enough before supper.

Pigeon breast, Bacon and Beetroot.

We have beens serving this at my pub this month and it has been a great success! With babyleaf salad, Honey and wholegrain mustard dressing, with a Balsamic drizzle. TRES BIEN! :)

Not necessarily my favorite salad, but the simple salad I make nearly every nite to serve with our dinner is:

hearts of Romaine lettuce (small pieces)
thin sliced white onion
thin sliced celery
thin sliced English cucumber
julienne pickled beets (always)
tomato wedges (only if I have home grown)

We like Ranch Dressing

I don't have a favorite, but I like simple combinations. Loading a plate with two dozen ingredients at a salad buffet bar and mixing it all together in a dressing doesn't work for me. I also have to watch my table manners, not to turn Neanderthal, when a plate of pasta salad is in front of me.

Cabbage salad made with mayonnaise or boiled dressing is what was considered salad in our house growing up and is still my first choice.

Most of the time in the summer we just had a dish of tomato slices, cucumber slices or green onions from the garden.

My first encounters with a tossed salad were in restaurants in my early teens. I like everything about them but the lettuce so I leave that out.

Cabbage salad made with mayonnaise or boiled dressing is what was considered salad in our house growing up and is still my first choice.

Most of the time in the summer we just had a dish of tomato slices, cucumber slices or green onions from the garden.

My first encounters with a tossed salad were in restaurants in my early teens. I like everything about them but the lettuce so I leave that out.

As a kid, I just hated green salads Bea. Later in life I discovered it wasn't green salads I hated, but rather I hated iceberg lettuce and still do. I think iceberg lettuce is just nasty. :LOL:

I like just about any well constructed salad but I think what makes it a great salad is homemade dressing. There is no comparison to jarred dressings and they are simple to make.

I love a full meal salad. A "Cobb" salad is one of my favorites.

3 or 4 types of leafy greens, 2 or 3 types of onions, 3 or 4 types of cheeses, 2 or 3 types of meats, hard cooked eggs and a dressing made of anything that strikes my fancy at the moment.

I like to put the dressing into my food processor with a hot pepper and blend it until mixed well.

I also keep several types of hot pepper and vinegar to sprinkle on my salads. It really livens up a supper salad.

Salads should never be boring!

As a kid, I just hated green salads Bea. Later in life I discovered it wasn't green salads I hated, but rather I hated iceberg lettuce and still do. I think iceberg lettuce is just nasty. :LOL:

I'm the other way around! I love iceberg lettuce when it's used to provide a real leafy crunch to a salad. It's only packed with vitamins when hydroponically or organically grown iceberg, but even the non-nutritional iceberg from the stores is good for a crunchy addition to other non-crunchy leafy veggies.

How boring the world would be if we all loved the same things!

I love Escarole, thin sliced sweet onion, fresh tomatoes from my garden when these are not in season just the escarole and onion a nice Evoo and red wine vinegar that our late cousin put together for us. salt and pepper and a warm piece of French or Italian bread.Plain simple salad not loaded down with all sorts of things. I do make them for family but for just me Escarole .
kades

A wedge of iceberg with a pour of Russian on top, served with knife and fork, is one of my least favorite salads. Nasty!

I agree! That would be so much better with French dressing!
:LOL:

It's hard to believe that some restaurants now try to pass off those wedges of Iceberg lettuce as some kind of a whoop-tee-do gourmet salad!! Geeze, whata crock! :glare:

My favorite salad to order in a restaurant is a Cobb Salad, here I can handle a little bit of Iceberg in with the greens. I always ask how it's prepared, because I do not want it tossed. That happened once and I sent it back. I like everything all lined up on top of the greens, with dressing on the side.

It's hard to believe that some restaurants now try to pass off those wedges of Iceberg lettuce as some kind of a whoop-tee-do gourmet salad!! Geeze, whata crock! :glare:

My favorite salad to order in a restaurant is a Cobb Salad, here I can handle a little bit of Iceberg in with the greens. I always ask how it's prepared, because I do not want it tossed. That happened once and I sent it back. I like everything all lined up on top of the greens, with dressing on the side.

I would go with a Cobb also. But I do like mine tossed.

I've got to make one of those Cobb salads one of these days. They sound nice.
I've got to admit though, even a big salad leaves me feeling hungry an hour later.

The Wedge is now a retro item harkening back to the sixties and seventies steak houses. It is a high profit item and that is it's main appeal in the restaurant world.

Back
Top Bottom