"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 06-04-2006, 03:53 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

What's the story on canned tuna!

About three or four years ago I noticed I didn't like canned tuna anymore and hadn't bought any since. Decided to try again and it's like oil pack has disappeared. Did I miss a big news story on canned tuna?

Old 06-04-2006, 04:24 PM   #2
Master Chef

You must be shopping in the wrong stores - lol!!! Oil-packed tuna is definitely still around, & it's the only type I buy since I find the water-packed dry, dry, dry.

Because of all the diet hoopla, however, most stores tend to carry more water-pack than oil-pack, so you do have to look carefully. Any store that carries water-pack is bound to have oil-pack as well, albeit in smaller quantities. But it's definitely still out there & definitely my top pick for salads, tuna-stuffed peppers, & pasta sauces.

Old 06-04-2006, 05:28 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

They are both still available. Just look at the labels.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:32 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Well I cannot find oil packed tuna either, and I definately prefer it to the spring water version. I bought a vacuum sealed pack of tuna last week and it was nasty. It was minced tuna, though you can buy a tuna steak in the package but why bother?
Old 06-04-2006, 06:38 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I dont like the vacumn packed tuna either.I think its just a marketing ploy to sell scraps for more money.I think that about those cheese crumbles also,just scrapings from the bottom of the cheese barrel.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:47 PM   #6
Head Chef

Gosh folks, we have no problem getting both here in our regular supermarkets (not the really fancy ones, just the routine supermarkets we have in the area).

Although must state that we live about 30 miles or so from Breezy so maybe we have the same regional experience.

We do not buy a whole lot of canned tuna but do prefer the oil packed. Agree it is more flavorful than the water packed variety.

Would talk to the manager of your local market. Have found those folks are usually very accomodating.

Good luck and God bless.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:07 PM   #7
Master Chef

I love canned tuna, and buy lots of it. My husband prefers the solid pack albicore, and I like the darker meat in the chunk tuna, so I usually mix it up.

I always buy the water-packed tuna because it has fewer calories, but I can see where the oil-packed type would be superior for certain recipes...like a nicoise sandwich, for instance.

I'd like to try some of the imported, oil-packed Italian tuna, but they don't have it around here. I may order some one of these days. I have a recipe for a Giada's tuna spaghetti sauce that I'd like to try.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:04 AM   #8
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Thank the Lord for dolphin friendly.....

I, on the rare ocassion, eat the Albacore. I do like the oil packed, but feel that is in hiding now. I am not sure if the world fishing police have had anything to do w/ it, but I wish it were more readily available.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:29 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Oil Filled Canned Tuna

Its there all you have to do is keep looking. I prefer the oil pack tuna because It to me has a better taste. You dont get that dry taste,
it`s just like putting tuna on a couple pieces of bread with out any
mayonaise. Since we are talking about tuna , can you answer me this.
when all these big named chefs cook tuna steaks all they do is brown
it on the outside and leave it raw in the inside. alot of people like it
that way but I would`nt eat a bite of that. I don`t like any kind of
meat raw. it does`nt have to be cremated either.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:40 AM   #10
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I think that is the difference between sachimi grade and grill grade. Like all suchi, if you see a translucent piece of thin sliced red goodness, it is a ggod thing. Grill grade tends to be the "brownish" tuna flesh, not savory in a raw state. Bonito is a young , thick skined tuna prized for its ruby red flesh, and thick fat layer. To each thier own.

I Am NOT a fan of the sachimi, but I know what it is all about, being in a still sushi trendy town. The only things I like rare, are my steaks...of good ol moo cow.

Tags
None