Your Macaroni Salad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My Mom was ahead of her time, I guess. She would serve cauliflower only when she made a beef roast, because she liked it best with beef gravy on it. Actually, it's not bad that way!

Funny you mention that CG, I saw on one of the Social Media Sites that same thing, Cauliflower with Brown Gravy and I thought, HMMM, I dunno.

K-Girl, Mom loved it that way. I thought it was tasty, but then again I always liked cauliflower.

...Beef gravy is fantastic and cauliflower is worthless...
Hey, don't go hating on a cruciferous veggie, Andy. :( You're like Kayelle and her band of Brussels sprouts haters calling them "little green balls of death". :LOL: I've always enjoyed cauliflower, but then again my Mom never did cook it down to mush. The older I get, the more I willingly embrace the veggies good for my health. :heart:

I seen a few new ideas posted that I’ll keep in mind to give a try. I kinda always thought of Mac-salad as a blank canvas and the end result was what I happen to have at the time here at the house. :)
One thing I didn’t see mentioned yet that I like to add, is some quick ruff minced capers for a little bit of background twangy flavor. If I’m out I’ll ruff mince 10 or so green olives.

Good idea! Using capers instead of salt make my "little grey cells" happy (who knows where that term comes from without a Google search).

I need to try that.

CD

It's the beef gravy, not the cauliflower that makes that dish. The two ingredients balance each other out. Beef gravy is fantastic and cauliflower is worthless. Put the two together and you get 'not bad'. That's the cauliflower pulling the gravy down to its level.

Mashed cauliflower is the new rage, as a replacement for mashed potatoes. I've never tried it.

CD

Good idea! Using capers instead of salt make my "little grey cells" happy (who knows where that term comes from without a Google search).

I need to try that.

CD

I do! I do!

Hercule Poirot is a Belgian detective created by Agatha Christie. In the mold of Sherlock Holmes, he has a faithful sidekick (Colonel Hastings) and solves crimes through observation and deduction. (I've read a lot of Agatha Christie).

I do! I do!

Hercule Poirot is a Belgian detective created by Agatha Christie. In the mold of Sherlock Holmes, he has a faithful sidekick (Colonel Hastings) and solves crimes through observation and deduction. (I've read a lot of Agatha Christie).
+1!!! I like Peter Ustinov's Movie portrayal of Poirot the best.

Last edited:
Mashed cauliflower is the new rage, as a replacement for mashed potatoes. I've never tried it.

CD
First rice, now mashed potatoes. And steak too! Next dinner might be all cauliflower! Cauliflower steak accompanied by cauliflower mashed “potatoes” and a cauliflower “rice” stir fry.

First rice, now mashed potatoes. And steak too! Next dinner might be all cauliflower! Cauliflower steak accompanied by cauliflower mashed “potatoes” and a cauliflower “rice” stir fry.

Oh my, I don't think that I could make that dinner party Joel, sorry :LOL:
I don't care for cauliflower very much, I mean I can chock down a very small amount should I have to, say at one of my in-laws' table, just to be polite, dontcha know ;) DH wouldn't bother with the social graces, he'd just pass the serving bowl on to me :ROFLMAO:

Oh my, I don't think that I could make that dinner party Joel, sorry :LOL:
I don't care for cauliflower very much, I mean I can chock down a very small amount should I have to, say at one of my in-laws' table, just to be polite, dontcha know ;) DH wouldn't bother with the social graces, he'd just pass the serving bowl on to me :ROFLMAO:
I don’t think I could choke down that dinner either, KG, let alone cook it! I haven’t had cauliflower in nearly 50 years. But I conquered my fear and loathing of Brussels sprouts, maybe I’ll have the same luck with cauliflower.

When my sister and I were little ones, mom and dad would spend a weekend making gallons and gallons of mixed pickles. Veggies included green tomatoes, carrots, green peppers and cauliflower. My sister and I fought over the cauliflower pickles. As far as I can tell, that's the only way to eat cauliflower.

Mashed cauliflower is the new rage, as a replacement for mashed potatoes. I've never tried it...
It's loaded with butter and cream cheese to emulsify it properly. Good if you're on a Keto diet. We aren't, so I made it just once...and thought my heart would seize up just a bit as I ate it. :LOL:

...I conquered my fear and loathing of Brussels sprouts, maybe I’ll have the same luck with cauliflower.
Roast it. That's my answer for any veggie you think you don't like. My SIL swore she didn't like cooked carrots unless they were in soup. One Easter I included roasted carrots with the other veggies. She loved them! A little olive oil, a generous shake-shake of Aleppo pepper - yum!

Back
Top Bottom