Your Macaroni Salad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
I love Macaroni Salad this time of year with lots of goodies, and it occurred

to me that the good cooks here may be using something I haven't thought of.

Here's what I generally use..
Small shell macaroni
defrosted frozen peas
grated carrot
chopped green onion
red and green bell pepper
halved grape tomatoes
chopped cilantro
sliced black olives
I dress it with mayo/lime juice/bacon bits and dry Buttermilk Dressing seasonings.

Say you? :chef:

small shrimp, we long ago used the canned salad shrimp because that's what my girlfriend made hers with (I stole the recipe :angel:), but now use small precooked, frozen shrimp and chop them up a bit.

hard boiled egg

celery

chopped red or sweet onion that has been soaked in ice water for a while, then well drained

I dress with a mix of mayo, yellow mustard, a bit of vinegar, a bit of sugar, salt and pepper. Sometimes I'll throw in a little Marzetti's coleslaw dressing if I don't make enough dressing originally and don't want to mix up more.

Last edited:
Med, your additions would make it a meal for these hot summer days. Great ideas, and thanks.

Yes, I've made it a meal on more than 1 occasion. Oh, I do use the red bell in it, but didn't list since you did. You're welcome!

Last edited:
In Sweden macaroni salad is a meal. I used to make one with taco meat, diced peppers , cucumber, tomatoes , nectarine and corn and a dressing made out salsa and mayo and off course pasta.

I also make really good, Club macaroni salad too.

Count me in also for the tiny salad shrimp. :yum: I also add chopped cucumber.

Basically I pretty much use...

Either ditalini or small shells

A can of rinsed and drained tiny shrimp. I try to keep a can or two in the pantry just for this - my mom made it this way for years and if it doesn't have shrimp in it, it kind of feels like something is missing. :)

Chopped cucumber, celery, green bells (and red if I have it), either scallions or red onion, chopped hard cooked egg, and diced tomatoes

For the dressing I blend some mayo, a splash or two of rice vinegar, fresh or dried dill, and s and p.

Now I am craving macaroni salad! :yum:

Last edited:
I make the same mac salad my family has enjoyed since, at least, the 50's...

Salad macaroni (ditalini now :rolleyes:)
Chopped celery, onion, black olives, pickles (I like sweet, others in family like dill.. I make two batches for family gatherings)
Mayo and a bit of plain yellow mustard.
Salt and pepper.

No vinegar.. of any kind.. ever.. ;) :ermm:

Ross

I have two pasta salads I make most often.

Couscous with Grilled Vegetables
Grilled bell peppers (at least three colors) and onions, pearl couscous and a vinaigrette with red wine vinegar, olive oil and fresh herbs - parsley, chives and basil if I have it, S&P.

Antipasto Pasta Salad
Rotini or penne pasta with chopped salami, pepperoni, roasted red peppers, green bell pepper, oil-cured olives, capers, diced Fontina cheese, grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, fresh basil and chives (or Italian seasoning), red wine vinegar and olive oil.

1 lb. - Small shells pasta
5 oz. can - Tuna
8 oz. block Cabot Seriously sharp cheddar cheese
4 - 5 stalks Celery
1/2 medium Red or yellow Onion
1 TBSP. Fresh parsley
Salt and ground black pepper
Pinch sugar
5 - 6 capfuls White vinegar
Dry mustard - to taste
1 bunch green onions (scallions)
Mayonnaise
8 oz. Sour cream
Large tomato - chop meat small (peel skin before chopping and roll into a rose shape & add parsley leaves for decoration - optional)

mac_salad_061311_1_P1080585.JPG

Last edited:
002.JPG

I'm sure that alot of you folks know that in Hawaii, we LOVE our Mac Salad!
This my rendition that I've developed of our style of Macaroni Salad.

1/4 lb. Elbow Macaroni, cooked past al dente, so that they are fat and soft
1/2 C. Best Foods Mayonnaise (or Hellmann’s if you’re in the East, no substitutions please)
1/2 Tbsp. prepared Mustard (I used Dijon ’cause that’s what I had in the ‘fridge)
1 Tbsp. White Onion, finely grated, juice and pulp (I use a microplane)
2 Tbsp. Carrot, finely grated
2 Tbsp. Celery, finely diced
Salt and Pepper to taste (I used about 1/8 tsp of each)
Combine all ingredients but the Macaroni in a large mixing bowl.

003.JPG

... adding Tuna Salad to your Mac Salad is so very local too! (and inexpensive ;))

004.JPG

MMM!
I like mine with chopped Black Olives as well as a bunch of other goodies,
like (more) diced Celery, Green Onions, Sweet Onions, Dill Pickle Relish, dried Dill Weed, a good pinch of Cayenne and granulated Garlic.

Kgirl, when I started this post today I was thinking of you and your Hawaiian Mac Salad.

I knew if you were in ear shot you'd show up for this post and it so happens you did!
Glad you had a great vacation, but also glad you're back.

Mom made a mayo-based mac salad, but at Chez Goddess's, mayo is for potatoes. The infrequent times I get the hankering for a pasta-based salad, it gets an oil-based dressing like a vinaigrette or Italian. It's a little pasta shape (whatever I have in "stock"), celery, radishes, black olives, scallions (in Himself's portion), and occasionally carrots or cheese (tiny cheddar cubes, or some other sturdy cheese), or maybe ham. It's been a while, so I don't quite remember what I've put in it. :huh:

View attachment 30718

I'm sure that alot of you folks know that in Hawaii, we LOVE our Mac Salad!
This my rendition that I've developed of our style of Macaroni Salad.

1/4 lb. Elbow Macaroni, cooked past al dente, so that they are fat and soft
1/2 C. Best Foods Mayonnaise (or Hellmann’s if you’re in the East, no substitutions please)
1/2 Tbsp. prepared Mustard (I used Dijon ’cause that’s what I had in the ‘fridge)
1 Tbsp. White Onion, finely grated, juice and pulp (I use a microplane)
2 Tbsp. Carrot, finely grated
2 Tbsp. Celery, finely diced
Salt and Pepper to taste (I used about 1/8 tsp of each)
Combine all ingredients but the Macaroni in a large mixing bowl.

View attachment 30719

... adding Tuna Salad to your Mac Salad is so very local too! (and inexpensive ;))

View attachment 30720

MMM!
I like mine with chopped Black Olives as well as a bunch of other goodies,
like (more) diced Celery, Green Onions, Sweet Onions, Dill Pickle Relish, dried Dill Weed, a good pinch of Cayenne and granulated Garlic.
Here’s the recipe for what I thought was a Hawaiian Mac Salad

1 cup elbow macaroni

2 tbsp cider vinegar

1/2 cup mayonnaise I like Kewpie, the Japanese mayonnaise.
1/2 cup whole milk

1 tsp brown sugar

3/4 tsp kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon allspice

1 tbsp grated yellow onion

2 scallions, white and light green parts thinly sliced

1/4 cup diced cooked ham (substitute seafood, if you like
)
1 carrot, shredded

1 rib celery, diced

Bring a saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni, reduce heat slightly and cook for 15 minutes, or until very soft. Drain the pasta, return it to the pan, add the vinegar and toss . Let rest while you make the dressing. Mix together the mayo, milk, sugar, salt, allspice, and grated onion, and whisk to combine. Pour half the dressing over the pasta and mix well. When the salad has cooled, add the rest of the dressing, the ham, carrots, and celery, and stir to combine. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.

It’s a little ingredient-intensive, but the vinegar and the Kewpie mayo freshen it and add the umami of the Kewpie. There’s a lot of MSG in it, though, so if you're prone to Chinese Restaurant Syndrome, Best Foods (or Helmann’s, in the East) seems to be the winner, hands down!

I love the additions you mentioned, especially the tuna and the olives. And I’m thinking that the mustard in your recipe is a perfect way to both give the iconic tang and also give the salad a lovely yellow color.

Hmm, maybe I’ll splurge on a really good can of sockeye salmon (or just a nice salmon fillet; about the same price!), which appeals to me more than tuna.

Thanks for the ideas!

Mom made a mayo-based mac salad, but at Chez Goddess's, mayo is for potatoes. The infrequent times I get the hankering for a pasta-based salad, it gets an oil-based dressing like a vinaigrette or Italian. It's a little pasta shape (whatever I have in "stock"), celery, radishes, black olives, scallions (in Himself's portion), and occasionally carrots or cheese (tiny cheddar cubes, or some other sturdy cheese), or maybe ham. It's been a while, so I don't quite remember what I've put in it. :huh:
Another point of silliness from me...

I have always considered mac salad and pasta salad to be two entirely different dishes, each with its place in a particular menu.. :)

Ross

006.jpg

Since we've been talking about Macaroni aka Pasta Salad ...
My version of what I'm calling Italian Confetti Pasta Salad
Elbow Macaroni, Green Onions, grated Carrots, diced Celery and Sweet Red Bell Peppers, chopped Black Olives, finely minced Garlic, chopped Parsley, dried Oregano, S&P and a homemade Vinaigrette

Terrific dinner side dish!

005.jpg

Back
Top Bottom