"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 03-24-2016, 11:40 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Pomegranate molasses. Now I've heard everything. I can't imagine I'd really have to hunt for it in my environs, but I have seen Pom juice around for making your own, so thanks for those instructions.

I was curious as to the attraction to olive oil. I find it tastes rather unpleasant, even the expensive brands and God knows I've tried them all. I hope I am not goring anyone's ox here, that's just me. I would never ruin something like a fruit juice or lavender syrup with olive oil. Walnut or unflavoured would be more suitable, I should think.

Old 03-25-2016, 02:28 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Pomegranate molasses can be found in any Middle Eastern grocery store, or you can order it on line

Old 03-25-2016, 05:11 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daizymae View Post
I was curious as to the attraction to olive oil. I find it tastes rather unpleasant, even the expensive brands and God knows I've tried them all. I hope I am not goring anyone's ox here, that's just me. I would never ruin something like a fruit juice or lavender syrup with olive oil. Walnut or unflavoured would be more suitable, I should think.

Daizy, I'm not sure I'd put extra virgin olive oil in a sweet dressing, either, but regular and light olive oils are much milder in flavor.

There are as many ways to make olive oil as there are to make wine. Producers can use early, middle or late season fruit and different varieties of olives have different flavors. Some are more grassy, like parsley, and some are peppery, like rocket (arugula).

There's a shop near me that has olive oils in casks where you can taste them before buying. DH and I have different tastes - he likes bitter beer and I like sweeter wines, for example - so we have different preferences for evoo, as well. If you can find a place like that, you might find an olive oil you like.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:56 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daizymae View Post
..I was curious as to the attraction to olive oil. I find it tastes rather unpleasant, even the expensive brands and God knows I've tried them all...
The recipe creator might had used it as their oil of choice because of its reputation for being a healthy oil. I think the strong olive flavor oils have their place, but when I need a neutral tasting olive oil, I reach for a bottle with "Extra Light" in the name. The "Light" does not refer to its fat content but rather to the flavor. Those labeled Extra Light are nearly flavorless.

Some helpful information: What's the Difference Between Regular Olive Oil and Extra-Virgin Olive Oil? | The Kitchn

Tags
dressing, feta, pears, walnuts