"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Old 02-11-2008, 03:51 PM   #21
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to jerseyjay14
Originally Posted by Ross37Johnson View Post
I am going to try some rattle snake pasta, my girlfriend and I had it at a resturant and loved it. Its penne alfredo with chicken, jalapeno peppers, jack and parm cheese, planning to make the sauce from scratch.
i've made this dozens of times, i love it at pizzeria uno, ive duplicated it pretty well. i can give you the recipe if you'd like

jerseyjay14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:59 AM   #22
Assistant Cook
I'm planning on cooking up some porterhouse steaks and serving them with salad, potatoes (twice-baked if my boyfriend likes them, mashed if he doesn't), and maybe garlic bread. Dessert will probably be dark chocolate fudge.

nutfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:24 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire
i'm not sure if we're going out or staying in since last night's plans were scrapped due to the weather.

if we're staying in, i'll surprize dw with a surf and turf. i have some filets mignon left in the freezer from the last time i bought a whole one, so all i'll need are the little monsters.
they're about 11 bucks per pound this time of year, so maybe i'll just get 3 small one pounders-ish and add some shrimp (ajillo maybe? or maybe cocktail or scampi) to help out the surf.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:42 PM   #24
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Ours will be on Sunday..... Short Ribs in a Nebbiolo sauce and creamy Gorgonzola Polenta... some sauteed rabe or dandelion greens, and my favorite Valentine's Dessert, Coeur a la Creme, for dessert. (The mold is heart-shaped! ) (this is MY recipe)

Coeur a la Creme with Raspberry Sauce
4 servings

The following is a very romantic and unexpected dessert. The white heart with the raspberry sauce makes such a beautiful presentation. If you can find Fromage Blanc, it will give you the lightest texture mold. It won't upstage a glass of Inniskillin's fabulous Ice Wine, or a glass of Framboise from Domaine Lucien Jacob (of Echevronne, France).

1 cup Fromage Blanc or cream cheese, or 1 cup cottage cheese that has been rubbed through a sieve or pureed in a food processor
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
2 tablespoons sugar
2 egg whites, stiffly beaten with the above sugar, but not dry
Raspberry Sauce (recipe follows)

Blend the cheese with 1 cup of the heavy cream until smooth. Fold in the sugar and egg whites. Line a heart shaped basket or mold with holes in it, using several layers of cheesecloth. Spoon the mixture into the mold, place it in a shallow bowl, and allow to drain overnight in the refrigerator. Unmold, pour on the remaining 1/2 cup cream. To serve, surround heart with raspberry sauce, and pass the rest in a sauceboat.

Teacher's Tip: Prepare cheesecloth by rinsing to remove the sizing and lint. Cut several pieces large enough to line the mold and overlap the sides. This will make unmolding much easier.

Raspberry Sauce
1 quart raspberries or two 10-oz pkgs frozen berries
1 cup sugar, or 1/2 cup if using frozen sweetened berries
2 tablespoons Framboise (the liqueur, not the eau de vie)

MASH the berries. COOK over low flame with sugar until soft. PRESS through a fine sieve to remove the seeds, Add Framboise, and chill.
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:45 PM   #25
Executive Chef
Ooooh, sounds absolutely delicious and very romantic, ChefJune!
Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:00 PM   #26
Master Chef
Since I'd rather eat worms & die than go out to eat on a holiday (the overpriced frou-frou menus & the sickly red rose given to all the women), we'll be having the traditional Valentine's Day meal I make every year at home:

Caviar & Champagne

Boiled Maine Lobsters with melted Lemon Butter
Shoestring Potatoes
Green salad

Dessert will either be Chocolate Mousse or something with fresh berries - will depend on what the market has availabale tomorrow.

The above plus a good old movie on tv (or DVD) will be more than adequate - lol!!
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:07 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Sounds like a good plan to me Breezy! Enjoy!!
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:41 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Every day is Valentines Day at our house! I think DH may not have to work tomorrow and its supposed to snow all day. Cozy!!!
That said, I am stumped on making something special. Last year I made potstickers, then fried nutella filled wontons for dessert. And some hazelnut truffles.
I have 10 extra dollars this year. I think it may just be spaghetti because it's red and the kids love it..... I'll make some french bread. I may have stuff for truffles laying around again. I'd make them but we're both getting fat. Maybe just some red peppers?
:) so many decisions, so little time.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.....
suziquzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:19 PM   #29
Master Chef
Aacckk - the lobsters were fabulous!!! One of our local markets had large run Maine lobsters on sale for $14.99/pound, so I was able to snag two 2-pounders & they were both luscious & full. What a feast we had!!!
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:28 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
As they say here, "It's all over but the shoutin'!"

The French onion soup was awesome, pork tenderloin Diane turned out tender and juicy and, as usual as Buck says, the Caesar salad was delish. The peach cobbler was a new recipe and a keeper. We're filled to the brim. A good time was had by all.

"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote