"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 02-09-2008, 11:33 AM   #1
Senior Cook

14 February Saint Valentine-What's your dinner menu?

So, 14 february is coming...what's your dinner menu? (...ehm, a part 'after dinner plans' ...!)

I think ro have rice for starting, then an 'arrosto' and this delicious cake:

Strawberries bavarese
Preparation time: 20 minutes minutes
Difficulty: low

Ingredient x 4-6 people:
  • 250 gr strawberries
  • 250 ml cream
  • 100 gr sugar
  • 5 gr fish glue (or pectin)
  • 1 table spoon vodka
Clean and wash strawberries, then blend them with sugar. Take a pot and drop some cold water, add the fish glue and let it rest for 5 minutes. Then take a small sauce pan, drop 2 table spoons of strawberries and add the fish glue, at medium heat, mix well and let the glue melt. Add vodka and all the strawberries mixture. Whip the cream and add gently to the mixture. Then drop into small mould and put into the fridge for 3-4 hours.

You can substitute strawberries with blackeberries or raspberries, too!

Better to prepare this cake the day before, because it is very important to let it rest into the fridge several hours.
Serve decorating with fresh fruits, or whipped cream, chocolate ...

Old 02-09-2008, 12:46 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I think we're actually going out this year for a change. A low-key event at a private club. Prime rib I know is on the menu but I don't know about anything else. The cooks there are superb so I know it will be spectacular!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:41 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Location: NJ for the moment, heading south next spring to be with my family.
I'm considering grilling (it's her fav, nevermind that it's been snowing) or alternately making my fried chicken, another of her favs. For a side, nice roasted asparagus, for openers, bacon wrapped oysters. For dessert either a nice hot pink raspberry foole, or maybe a cheesecake...just made one yeserday (chocolate chip) but it's not going to make it six more days.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:43 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Me & my other half probably wont be able to see each other on valentines. But I know my menu if i was cooking!

Starters-Mini potato & pepper burgers, mini meat burgers, with a yoghurt and cucumber raita and chilli sauce

Mains-Mushroom rissoto & garlic bread

Dessert-Chocolate cream pots or a mixture of fresh strawberries and raspberries to dip in chocolate mousse
Old 02-09-2008, 01:51 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSix210 View Post
I'm considering grilling (it's her fav, nevermind that it's been snowing) or alternately making my fried chicken, another of her favs. For a side, nice roasted asparagus, for openers, bacon wrapped oysters. For dessert either a nice hot pink raspberry foole, or maybe a cheesecake...just made one yeserday (chocolate chip) but it's not going to make it six more days.
REAL, honest-to-goodness homemade fried chicken????

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:55 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
We always celebrate by going out a few days after the 14th. It makes it more special for us if we're the only ones celebrating LOVE.

We have a very very busy day on the 15th so dinner on the 14th will be soup
from a can and sandwiches.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:57 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Location: NJ for the moment, heading south next spring to be with my family.
I'm a southern boy, grandma didn't want me to starve, so she showed me how. When I came up here to live with my honey, I made it for her. Being from Mass, then moving to NJ, she'd never had REAL fried chicken. She has now, and makes me whip up a batch at least once a week.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:29 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I've planned French Onion Soup, Pork Tenderloin Diane, Caesar Salad, and Aretha Franklin's Peach Cobbler.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:29 AM   #9
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I'll be working on Valentine's Day... and the 3 days after. So the following Monday I'm torn between doing some really elegant things that she'll probably like, or some really inelegant things that I know she'll like.

I just pulled out this really old but really killer recipe for a red-wine BBQ sauce form the last place I worked at, and I've been DYING to try braising lamb in it, and then serving that inside crepes, with maybe some chanterelle risotto or creamy mushroom orzo. Lamb may be a little too gamey for her though. Served with one of my fabulous time-consuming desserts.

On the other hand, she'd love the meal for sure if I started with italian sausage rolled up in puff pastry, or fresh mozzarella breaded in panko and deep fried. Follow that up with either chicken nachos or creamy chicken pasta, or maybe a grilled ribeye with fries, and ending with some apple pie or carrot cake. Nothing too sexy about that meal, but it amounts to comfort food for her.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:36 AM   #10
Master Chef

Not a freakin clue! (I didn't just cuss did I?) She likes seafood so probably something along those lines.