2016 Christmas Eve and Christmas Day Menu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We had our "Beier Family Christmas" this past weekend and I don't have any family to celebrate with so we are going casual on the 25th. We have told my in-laws that if they want to come over, and my BIL might as well. I am just going to have finger food (hot and cold) and maybe a pot of soup or chili. I haven't really thought of the menu yet. I want to know how many are coming before anything is set in stone.

This year, I am in my own home for the first time in as long as I can remember!

I moved in 2 weeks ago and there is no real working kitchen.

But I will make do!

I will have my brother Ollie, and my cousin James. (And Burt the cat). (And possibly my brother Rob.)

We will have a leisurely morning. And then I will get them both "prepping" vegetables in the afternoon. We will eat at around 5.30. (If we are lucky.)

And it will be slow-cooked lamb shanks, with gravy.

Carrot and parsnip mash.

Petit pois and sprout "crunch up" with smoked bacon and honey.

And roast potatoes (of course).

If there are starters or desserts, it will be a miracle.

Last edited:
Our Christmas dinner is going to be Parma ham and melon, Agnolotti al 'Plin' (very small meat ravioli) with butter, sage and parmesan, brasato al Barolo (joint of beef braised in good quality Barolo), Cheeseboard, Christmas pudding, mince pies, with a good Contratto methode champenoise sparkler, 10 year old Barolo, good Barbera for the cheese pears poached in ginger syrup with a light moscato. Amaretti with the coffee. We're doing the quail on New Year's Eve. Then there's 6th January, which is a holiday here, and some friends are coming round for canapés and bubbly. Should just about do the trick.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

I will be staying at home Christmas Eve and then go to my daughter's for Christmas Dinner. I have no idea what she is making. Nor do I care. I will be making my Chocolate Christmas Wreath Cake.

di, katyI'm flexing my wings for the flight to join you.
img_1491538_0_0587a01a9028fff71544c1c649ea95f4.gif
Sounds scrumptious! Katy, certainly sounds like your kitchen is functional enough for me!

One of my sons will be coming out with his little guys to help finish decorating the tree on the 23rd (lol - looks a little strange right now, I only decorated the top part - leaving the rest for them) then they will be decorating some gingerbread houses (as soon as I bake them - hurry hurry hurry).

Actually have no idea what's happening this Christmas.. it is usually at either my place or at my ex's with his girlfriend. But nothing has been said as of yet.

This year, I am in my own home for the first time in as long as I can remember!...
Katy's back! :w00t: So glad to see you! Congrats on your new home, and good luck with no real kitchen. Just so long as their are enough adult beverages and good conversation, dinner will be fine no matter how/what turns out.

Hi Katy, we missed you!

Pffft. Who needs a kitchen. A bunch of wood and a match works too. Or a candle can heat up water for tea.

But having a kitchen is quite nice. Along with booze.

Last edited:
I think I can get a goose.

In these here parts, those dang geese are a huge nuisance and dangerous. The only reason we can't shoot them, is not because they are a protected species, but this is the city, and hunting in a highly populated area is dangerous.

I can with certain there will be boiled pork sausage, I just made 5 meters of it.

Congrats Jennyema! We aren't really into xmas eve, but when I was in high school, I got invited to several Cuban homes for dinner. Featured was a suckling pig and all the Cuban trimmings. They exchanged gifts that evening.

For the first time in 14 years, we won't be in Mexico for Christmas Eve. Unless someone in town adopts us (most of our retired friends have moved to FLA), we'll probably have something from the freezer. And DH gets a big ham from work. Maybe that too.

mention of suckling pig reminded me... One Christmas it was on the menu but it was too big to fit in any oven. So my Mom cooked one end and my Aunt cooked the other and carted it all the way to our place.

Served complete with an apple in it's mouth.

mention of suckling pig reminded me... One Christmas it was on the menu but it was too big to fit in any oven. So my Mom cooked one end and my Aunt cooked the other and carted it all the way to our place.

Served complete with an apple in it's mouth.

Two words, Caja China.;)

Craig, this was in the late 50's... internet googling was not around. :LOL:

But bet my Dad would have tried to build one. I'm surprised he didn't have an idea like that as he traveled around the Polynesian & Hawaiian islands in the mid 60's.

Back
Top Bottom