2016 Christmas Eve and Christmas Day Menu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Enjoy your day!

IMG_1573.GIF

IMG_1574.GIF

I've never made this but I'd like to do this with several types of citrus fruit: orange, tangerine, lemon, lime and ruby red grapefruit.

I see nice thin strips of different citrus decorating a cake. Orange strips for an orange flavored cakes, lemon for what I used it for, etc.

When I did the lemon slices, I did a taste test to make sure the peel was cooked long enough to make it edible.

Last edited:
I see nice thin strips of different citrus decorating a cake. Orange strips for an orange flavored cakes, lemon for what I used it for, etc.

Small holiday adventure... Candied orange rind and a chocolate cake. :chef:
DSC_0403.JPG

DSC_0409.JPG

Just me today. I'm having my actual holiday dinner this coming Wednesday. But I still made up a nice dinner of Rib Eye with mushrooms, sauteed green beans, and mashed rutabaga with sour cream and dill. My eyes were way bigger than my stomach. I could only eat about a third of the steak, which means the rest will be for lunch tomorrow.

img_1493549_0_c1c04c870423b21a51b52eebb798031a.jpg

Here's what we had tonight, just the two of us. Prime rib, rosemary garlic roasted potatoes, roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon and Yorkshire puddings. Definitely worth the effort!
AzadzDf.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator:
Our Christmas dinner was pork tenderloin with Herbs de Kayelle Provence, roasted baby potatoes with s/p and thyme, Brussels sprouts/bacon/mushrooms casserole, and steamed broccoli with browned butter/almond topping. Our dessert was a sweet cream biscuit shortcake with nectarine/raspberry/blueberries, a bit of vanilla bean ice cream, and a squirt of whipped cream. Still working on my *yawn* wine...

Attachments

• 2016-12-25 21.15.14.jpg
    2016-12-25 21.15.14.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 181
  • 2016-12-26 01.10.26.jpg
    2016-12-26 01.10.26.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 149
Merry Christmas, mofet.

I didn't know whipped cream was squirted. I thought it was more of a shprshhhht. Unless you sucked all of the nitrous oxide out of the can again, huh CG?

I forgot to mention our dessert. One of my Scottish aunt's always used to bake a birthday cake on Christmas for baby Jesus, so my sister made a chocolate cake with marshmallow icing this year in order to continue the tradition.

We also had cream cheese rugelach, Danish butter cookies, and loads of various chicolates purloined from unguarded but carefully hung stockings.

We ended up with the reverse-seared prime rib, Emeril's mushroom bread pudding, creamed spinach, and a potato cake. Golden Potato Cake Recipe | Bon Appetit The method certainly worked to get them all done but make sure you leave yourself plenty of time to let the potatoes cool. The prime rib was getting done sooner than Craig thought it would so I was running out of time to get the sides done and ended up with a few owies trying to put the potato cake together. Oh, pecan pie to finish the meal.

We had green beans from last summer's garden, and venison from a work friend, and rye bread left from a fish fry. Buttered the green beans and reverse seared the venison. Delicious little feast.

Great pics and nice sounding food, guys! I made a little pork roast in the crockpot, with mushroom-onion gravy.

I made the yummy rib roast and roasted asparagus. I also made a salad with garden greens, cucumbers, dried cherries and cashews and vinaigrette made with Gravenstein-apple white balsamic vinegar. Boy, was *that* good! And hasselback potato casserole, cooked in the Instant Pot multicooker, then browned under the broiler,based on this recipe: http://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a50751/parmesan-potato-casserole-recipe/

A few hours later, we had more of the lemon pound cake for dessert.

I made the yummy rib roast and roasted asparagus. I also made a salad with garden greens, cucumbers, dried cherries and cashews and vinaigrette made with Gravenstein-apple white balsamic vinegar. Boy, was *that* good! And hasselback potato casserole, cooked in the Instant Pot multicooker, then browned under the broiler,based on this recipe: Best Parmesan Potato Casserole - How to Make Parmesan Potato Casserole

A few hours later, we had more of the lemon pound cake for dessert.

That salad sounds so good. The one item I love in any salad though is radishes. I am not fond of any strong dressing, but I do like a little kick in it. And the radishes do that for me.

The Hasselback potato casserole, YUM. What a lot of work.

Me? We had a simple spiral cut ham with the glaze along with a baked tater and spinach. Pirate also had some buttered corn kernels.

I made a boneless rib eye roast using the reverse sear method and it came out great. Lyonnaise potatoes, asparagus, broccoli, hollandaise sauce. Dessert was pecan pie, paklava, lemon bars, and a huge assortment of cookies from SO and my daughters.

Sorry, not time for photos.

This was my first year of NOT making Christmas dinner.

It reminded me of the movie Christmas Story. Except the Bumpuses smelly hound dogs didn't eat the turkey and trash Mom's kitchen, then take off out the door like bat's out of hell.:ROFLMAO::LOL:

I've been sick with a bad cold. Xmas eve I made a ham dinner.
It was decide then by everyone that making a full blown out traditional Christmas dinner would be too much work for me. We weren't expecting a crowd. It's usually just the 4 of us.

Had planned on making a 8Lb bone in Prime Rib dinner with all the fixings.
What we had our guys and Mr.Munky made. They worked out all the details. I sat back and watched the show.

They did a fantastic job of doing a quick smoke of Porterhouse steaks on my stove top smoker. Finished them off on my new Breville Griller. I've been wanting that one for years. Made steak fries with my non Soccer Mom deep fryer that they got me.Oldest said I was beyond the usual ones and had to grow up... What?:ohmy::wub:

That was the best Christmas dinner I've ever had.
Dinner was cooked to perfection. Most importantly Mr. Munky was home and got right in and did some cooking. :wub:

Merry belated Christmas everyone.

Munky Badger.

That salad sounds so good. The one item I love in any salad though is radishes. I am not fond of any strong dressing, but I do like a little kick in it. And the radishes do that for me.

The Hasselback potato casserole, YUM. What a lot of work.

Me? We had a simple spiral cut ham with the glaze along with a baked tater and spinach. Pirate also had some buttered corn kernels.

Neither DH nor I like radishes much, but a salad is not a salad to me if it doesn't have cucumbers ;) The vinegar was truly amazing.

My mandolin made quick work of slicing the potatoes; then I tossed them with the other ingredients, put them in the Instant Pot and left them there till it was time to broil them. The IP switches to "keep warm" mode automatically when the pressure cooking is done, so it was pretty easy.

We had the various olives and pickles, Garlicky Pork Roast with roasted Baby Yukon Golds and Baby carrots. Keto Waldorf Salad and the Keto Purple Sweet Potato pie. Exchanged presents with Mom and Dad, they loved theirs! Keto gravy with veggies sauteed in.

Mom set the table and lastly put the butter dish on the table. Everyone ignored the butter (!) as the gravy was soooo good. At the end when we were nibbling and talking, Dad asked for the butter to put on a wee potato...I removed the lid to pass it and much to our surprise the butter dish was clean....Mom had brought out the wrong butter dish. Had a good laugh over that.

Leroy Jethro Dog and Cow Kitty got their pork scrap treats. We brought some pork scraps home for Smudge, Latté and Django. It was a good night.

Back
Top Bottom