"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-11-2016, 02:26 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,111
2016 Christmas Eve and Christmas Day Menu

Here are my menus at the moment. But they can change at any time.


2016 Christmas Eve Menu

Shrimp Scampi (with rice)
Stuffed Clams
Caesar Salad
Garlic Bread

Pumpkin Pie
Whipped cream


2016 Christmas Day Menu

Stuffed Mushrooms
Caesar salad
Garlic bread


Eye round roast
Burgundy gravy
Mashed potatoes w/sour cream and chives (or twice baked)
Baby spinach
Carrots
Mini Yorkshire Puddings


Apple Pie
Chocolate Pudding Pie
Whipped Cream


__________________

__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 02:58 PM   #2
Head Chef
 
CakePoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Wexio
Posts: 1,882
Christmas food around the world.

That is picture and all of last year, we are going to have cream cale and beetroot salads too this year, otherwise it the same.
__________________

__________________
For the love of Cheese!
CakePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:51 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 12,971
I've never done a big Christmas Eve meal, since it wasn't the norm in our house when I was growing up. Actually, I do remember my Mom busy preparing foods while what seemed like everyone else in the extended family when to Christmas Eve Mass, then come to our house. Poor Mom was so exhausted, and when everyone else got to sleep in, Mom was still busy making Christmas dinner for the 4 or 5 of us. She kept that pace until she totally collapsed one Christmas Eve. I never wanted to get myself into that much of a tizzy! Good think I'm an only child.

For Christmas Day we'll have a beef roast. Not sure of all the sides - like Thanksgiving, Christmas is also all about the sides for us. For sure there will be mashed potatoes, and my Brussels sprouts/bacon/mushroom dish, and mushrooms to add to the beef gravy. Probably some sort of relish dish (I'd better remember "THE dish" that my Mom always used...). Anything else depends on what veggies are on sale/look the best when I shop after we settle into our daughter's home.
__________________
“How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese?”— Charles de Gaulle

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:13 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 13,169
Christmas Eve is when we celebrate Christmas. I haven't decided on what we will have, yet. I did pick up a bunch of cod the other day. I am still working on the cookies--I guess I am working the menu backwards! New Year's Eve will probably be either fish chowder or oyster stew. I have a brisket pickling, so Reuben sandwiches might be New Year's Day...not sure yet. I have 12 days of meals to get through before I get to Christmas Eve. It depends on if my uncle joins us. My cousin and her son can't be here this year.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:54 AM   #5
Master Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 5,134
[QUOTE=Mad Cook;1491400]My maternal grandmother lived in a 200 year old cottage with gas lighting and cooking, only cold running water and a (spotless) loo at the bottom of the garden which had only had mains water piped to it since 1947. She used to cook Christmas dinner for around 20 people - mostly family. She had 5 married children, 10 grandchildren, and always a neighbour and in addition to that lot she always invited a soldier from the nearby barracks who couldn't get home for Christmas.

She'd started this last thing during WWII because, she said, she wanted to treat some other mother's son as she hoped another mother was treating hers (she had a soldier, a Royal Marine Commando and a sailor, a soldier son-in-law and a fireman son-in-law).

Prepping the dinner ran like clockwork - all the aunts knew their jobs and the men were sent across the green to the pub. There was always a turkey of gigantic proportions, stuffing, home-made gravy, roast potatoes and mash, sprouts with cheese sauce and carrots followed by home-made Christmas pudding, lemon curd and/or jam tarts. She never seemed stressed out by all of this - as she said it was always the same so she didn't have to think about it. Not like now when people seem to have hysterics at the thought of it in August!

We children played under the dining table with our Christmas toys and behaved ourselves impeccably (well, I remember it like that )
__________________
Don’t look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:54 AM   #6
Head Chef
 
CakePoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Wexio
Posts: 1,882
CWS4322_ I have the recipe for Värmlandskorv/ Potato sausage, if you want it..
__________________
For the love of Cheese!
CakePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:58 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston and Cape Cod
Posts: 10,027
Got engaged around Labor Day and now in charge of two Christmas Eve meals

My wifey to be and I -- on actual xmas eve

My new large extended family (16 people) -- on 12/26 when all can gather together

The first meal will be thanksgiving because I didn't get to cook it ... and my fiancée knows I can cook so no need to D,emonstrate that.

But the larger second meal is a challenge because it needs to be the kind of thing that folks can eat over a period of hours, as they arrive. Casual, not formal.

But I still want to make a few things that show my cooking chops to this larger group. Purchased pot pies are a family tradition �� But I have 100 leeway past those. Adults and college /post college age and 1 10 year old.

Thx!����
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:11 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,745
First of all, congratulations!

Sounds like you might want to do a buffet.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:03 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I've never done a big Christmas Eve meal, since it wasn't the norm in our house when I was growing up. Actually, I do remember my Mom busy preparing foods while what seemed like everyone else in the extended family when to Christmas Eve Mass, then come to our house. Poor Mom was so exhausted, and when everyone else got to sleep in, Mom was still busy making Christmas dinner for the 4 or 5 of us. She kept that pace until she totally collapsed one Christmas Eve. I never wanted to get myself into that much of a tizzy! Good think I'm an only child.

For Christmas Day we'll have a beef roast. Not sure of all the sides - like Thanksgiving, Christmas is also all about the sides for us. For sure there will be mashed potatoes, and my Brussels sprouts/bacon/mushroom dish, and mushrooms to add to the beef gravy. Probably some sort of relish dish (I'd better remember "THE dish" that my Mom always used...). Anything else depends on what veggies are on sale/look the best when I shop after we settle into our daughter's home.
Can you post recipe for this >>> Brussels sprouts/bacon/mushroom dish please. It sounds wonderful.
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:07 AM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,745
We don't have a special Christmas Eve menu.

Our Christmas Day dinner with family will be:

Ribeye Roast
Gravy
Lyonnaise Potatoes
Baked Potato (for SIL)
Veggie #1
Veggie #2
Pecan Pie
Lemon Meringue Pie
Christmas Cookies
Pumpkin Roll
Ice Cream
Wine
Beer
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:28 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,300
I was telling DH about di reston's question about an alternative to turkey for Christmas dinner and I accidentally said pheasant. Now he wants me to find a pheasant for Christmas dinner
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:46 AM   #12
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 37,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I was telling DH about di reston's question about an alternative to turkey for Christmas dinner and I accidentally said pheasant. Now he wants me to find a pheasant for Christmas dinner
There's a flock of them just outside of town...too bad I don't have a permit to hunt them.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:04 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Got engaged around Labor Day and now in charge of two Christmas Eve meals

My wifey to be and I -- on actual xmas eve

My new large extended family (16 people) -- on 12/26 when all can gather together

The first meal will be thanksgiving because I didn't get to cook it ... and my fiancée knows I can cook so no need to D,emonstrate that.

But the larger second meal is a challenge because it needs to be the kind of thing that folks can eat over a period of hours, as they arrive. Casual, not formal.

But I still want to make a few things that show my cooking chops to this larger group. Purchased pot pies are a family tradition �� But I have 100 leeway past those. Adults and college /post college age and 1 10 year old.

Thx!����

Congrats, jennyema and wife-to-be!!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:19 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Got engaged around Labor Day and now in charge of two Christmas Eve meals

My wifey to be and I -- on actual xmas eve

My new large extended family (16 people) -- on 12/26 when all can gather together

The first meal will be thanksgiving because I didn't get to cook it ... and my fiancée knows I can cook so no need to D,emonstrate that.

But the larger second meal is a challenge because it needs to be the kind of thing that folks can eat over a period of hours, as they arrive. Casual, not formal.

But I still want to make a few things that show my cooking chops to this larger group. Purchased pot pies are a family tradition �� But I have 100 leeway past those. Adults and college /post college age and 1 10 year old.

Thx!����
Congratulations, jenny! I'm so happy for you!

Hmmm, a couple of slow cooker soups or stews, cheese straws wrapped in prosciutto, cheese ball(s) with (maybe homemade?) crackers and crostini, and dips and crudites (and extras stashed in the fridge). To start
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:18 PM   #15
Certifiable Executive Chef
 
Janet H's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 3,687
We are having a small and informal get together on Christmas - a meal is part of the deal...

I am considering making lasagna, salad and bread and just letting folks graze. Still mulling this over...
__________________
Forget love... I'd rather fall in chocolate!
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:25 PM   #16
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 225
Oh wow, it's already time to plan the dinner. I've been so busy baking stuff for various secret Santa gifts and potlucks.

I've noticed cheap frozen ducks (at least cheap for duck) at Wallyworld. Maybe I'll give that a try.
Smokeydoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:27 PM   #17
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
We are having a small and informal get together on Christmas - a meal is part of the deal...

I am considering making lasagna, salad and bread and just letting folks graze. Still mulling this over...
Lasagna sound great. I might do an Italian theme; antipasta, casserole, pasta, Italian dessert. DH loves Italian food, I'll give him one day of the year to indulge. Italian food is so carb heavy, I've been scaling back or making it healthier.
Smokeydoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:33 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeydoke View Post
Lasagna sound great. I might do an Italian theme; antipasta, casserole, pasta, Italian dessert. DH loves Italian food, I'll give him one day of the year to indulge. Italian food is so carb heavy, I've been scaling back or making it healthier.
Southern Italian, yes. Northern Italians do less pasta and seafood and more meat and vegetables.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:37 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 12,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Can you post recipe for this >>> Brussels sprouts/bacon/mushroom dish please. It sounds wonderful.
Ask and you shall receive, MsM!

Brussels Sprouts, Bacon, and Mushrooms


Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Got engaged around Labor Day and now in charge of two Christmas Eve meals...
Congrats! Merry Christmas and Happy Life!
__________________
“How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese?”— Charles de Gaulle

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:41 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 12,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
...I am considering making lasagna, salad and bread and just letting folks graze. Still mulling this over...
I did that for just the four of us last Christmas. It was met with great delight. (Yeah, the kids love my lasagna. ) The green salad and red-sauced lasagna looked very festive, too.

I've also done spaghetti and sauce when it has been just the two of us. I wouldn't recommend that for a crowd, though...
__________________

__________________
“How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese?”— Charles de Gaulle

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
christmas, menu

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×