2016 New Year's Eve/New Year's Day Menu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not humor; that's actually how it works, but GMT midnight. I'm surprised that you didn't know about it.

No, I do understand it. I thought it was humorous that you were telling "regular" people to watch for that one second ;)

DH is a scientist (was a meteorologist/ oceanographer in the Navy and then taught Earth science, oceanography, meteorology, GIS and experimental design), so I'm accustomed to hearing about nerdy details like that, but not everyone is :)

My New Years dinner blew up...originally, we were having two couples over. Now it will be ten of us...:ohmy:...my brother, who is recently single texted me so I extended an offer if he had no plans...he accepted, then mentioned an old friend of ours was going to be alone so I said bring him along. GF was chatting with my sister who asked what we were doing so she said having dinner with a few friends. She asked if she wants to join us and she accepted. Bringing her husband...looks like I am working on my day off, after all...

Low key New Year's here. I'm just experimenting (again!) with meatloaf and mashed potatoes for dinner tonight. I'm going to open a can of Trader Joe's Roma tomatoes and squish some of them into the meatloaf. For the mashed potatoes, I'm using a box mix and I'm adding bacon, onion, garlic, some homemade creme fraiche, and a cheddar and Gorgonzola cheese combo. It will be a meal to remember, whichever way it goes.

Tomorrow I'm supposed to drive to my friend Lisa's to start our d**ts, but we're really expecting snow tonight and tomorrow. Naturally, my area isn't going to get any, but Lisa probably will get a couple inches. Problem is, with temps as low as they are and with the snow turning over to rain, we'll end up with ice instead. I don't mind driving in snow, but I won't drive on ice. So our plans for tomorrow may be cancelled.

In any event, dinner tomorrow is 6 colossal prawns in garlic and butter. I bought those with my birthday money and tomorrow is the day to chow them down.

And that reminds me, how would I know if the Gorgonzola cheese has gone bad? It's been in my fridge for about 2 months now.

Last edited:
I made this Slow-Roasted Beef Tenderloin Recipe | Serious Eats, this The Best Yorkshire Puddings Recipe | Serious Eats, thishttp://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/04/sauced-horseradish-cream-sauce.html, and broccoli in the pressure cooker. It was all as good as it looks except that the popovers could have used another minute in the oven.

I made all this food just for my little self. The roast cost a fortune, but I'm celebrating the coming of the new year, so what the heck.

I am sure going to be pigging out on roast beef sandwiches for several days. Lucky me...the manager of my small town supermarket said that I could bring the roast in and they'd slice it paper thin for me!

I'm hosting a family dinner tonight, will start right after another disappointing Broncos game. I'm making chicken, sour cream, green chile enchiladas, Spanish rice, pork tamales (bought), cole slaw, mulled wine. One guest is making a tres leches cake.

Actually, it can grow green mold too. That's when you throw it out. ;)
It's just getting good at that point...

I'm doing an 8 lb prime rib roast in a few minutes. Going with the no peek method. Experiencing a bit of indecision as far as when to start it for a 630-7 eat time...I don't want it done too early..I don't want to blast it at 500 for 5 minutes a lb. 40 minutes seems like a long time in the oven at that high of a temp. I've seen some recipes call for one hour at 375, then leave it for 3 hours...and then reheat for half an hour....I'm thinking I'll get 'er going around 230.

I've always gone with the 15 minutes at 500 then turn it down to 300 and use a thermometer...at 15 minutes a pound it would only take a couple of hours

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom