2016 New Year's Eve/New Year's Day Menu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, I'm going to go for it. A suckling pig on the Horizon. I've only been involved with doing a whole hog in La Caja China a few times. I'll probably order a 30 to 40 pounder. Right now I am debating between BBQ or Cuban style using charcoal briquettes.:ermm:

We've been invited to a neighborhood progressive party for New Year's Eve - appetizers and entrées at one house and dessert at another house across the street. I'm thinking about making deviled eggs with crab and Old Bay seasoning. And maybe some rum balls for the dessert buffet.

And I found a pheasant! The biggest one they had is barely three pounds! So, since my mom decided to come for Christmas, we'll have the rib roast on Christmas Day and the pheasant on New Year's Day. I'll probably make a rice medley and asparagus to go with it.

Ok, I'm going to go for it. A suckling pig on the Horizon. I've only been involved with doing a whole hog in La Caja China a few times. I'll probably order a 30 to 40 pounder. Right now I am debating between BBQ or Cuban style using charcoal briquettes.:ermm:

Oh man, I wish I was there. Go for the Cuban, imo, unless you mean bbq'd as in simply q'd, not the sauce. Sauce just hides the beauty of the tasty little beast.
I've always done small piggies in a light honey mustard glaze.

Last edited:
Oh man, I wish I was there. Go for the Cuban, imo, unless you mean bbq'd as in simply q'd, not the sauce. Sauce just hides the beauty of the tasty little beast.
I've always done small piggies in a light honey mustard glaze.

I meant "Q" as in this off set, wood burning pit.;)

36788-albums309-picture6771.jpg

I already put my order in and will pick it up next Friday.

Last edited:
New Years Eve.....To be decided.
New years Day.....Black-Eyed Peas, with two or three kinds of pork seasoning meats. ~~~ A big pot of mustard and turnip greens/with roots from behind the house ~~ A big pone of corn bread. Maybe something else.

We finally decided on appetizers and noshing all day. And maybe the 3-hour chocolate cake and champagne at night.

I went to the korean market to get banchans and they were sad looking. :-(
So, I might have to cook up a storm tomorrow morning.

Right now, the menu is bacon-wrapped dates, hot spinach and artichoke dip, steak kabobs, gyoza, korean pancakes (which might go into the trash, they look awful, same with the gyoza). Might have to make some emergency "something" tomorrow.

Have a wonderful 2017 everyone!

I haven't gone out on New Year's Eve in almost 25 years, but this year I'm making an exception. I'll be heading out for a late evening lobster and Champagne dinner, and then going to see Louie Anderson's show. There's supposed to be a midnight toast afterwards.

I hope I can stay awake that late. :neutral:

No definitive plans for New Year's Day. I usually have oyster stew, but we'll see...

It's amateur night, so we'll be staying home. I did find an interesting recipe on the back of the can of Frank's Kraut for Reuben dip. One of our local grocers has been promising bone-in rib roast on sale, but we're the ugly stepsister here and they still don't have it in stock yet. DH did get a raincheck, so if and when it ever comes in, they promised us the sale price.

There will be...
roasted garlic brussel sprouts
still a little crunchy steamed broccoli
assemble to bake the artichoke parmesan dip/spread
Three kinds of shrimp.
cold shrimp with cocktail sauce of ketchup and horseradish
skampi, garlic lemon butter with warmed shrimp
alfredo, garlic parmesan cream sauce with egg noodles
little smokies in half cranberry jam/tomato sauce 'bbq sauce'
deep fried breaded (currently frozen) homemade cheese curds in mild marinara sauce
large assortment of sweets, cookies, candies, chex mixes

It's hard to decide what is the most delicious, most decadent, most unhealthy, as we do enjoy a little of this or that and we are blessed to have the resources to have a nice spread.

New Year's Eve we're going to a small gathering (about 7-8 people) at a friend of Loverly's. I'm bringing smoked kielbasa in sauerkraut and black-eyed peas/ham hock/collard greens dish. Plus beers. Host will be providing everything else. He hunts, so it could be deer and pheasant, for all I know.

Our New Year's dinner here will be a traditional pork roast. I'm rubbing it Friday with a Bavarian seasoning mix, and I'll roast it with baby yellow potatoes. The other sides will be a bit of kielbasa and kraut (since Goober had other, non-family, plans for NYE - have to make sure he gets some lucky food), my Brussels sprouts/bacon/mushroom casserole, roasted and mashed butternut squash, and maybe green beans or broccoli. Pull-apart rolls, too. *burp* No dessert. YOU saw the other foods! :LOL: No room in the tummy.

We are supposed to go to our friends' house for New Year's Eve. I say supposed to because hubby was home sick Friday and I am having another insomnia session (it is 2:48 am).

It is my turn to take dinner and they will do dessert. I am making rouladen with mashed potatoes (for the gravy!), the same onion tart recipe I made for Christmas, carrots and salad.

Just GF and I tonight. We've been invited to a couple of parties, but they are a bit of a drive, and we are beat from a long, busy couple of weeks at work. so, we are going to come up with a bs story and stay in. I'm going to make up some pizza dough and make some thin crust pizzas...

Having two couples over for dinner on New Year's day...Bringing a prime rib roast home. Au jus. Yorkshire pudding, horseradish whipped potatoes. Shrimp cocktails and some charcuterie before hand....

Bliss, Smokey, Rock, and LP, those dinners sound great. As does CG's; I hope our hosts have greens and black eyed peas. I love them but so rarely get to eat them. Prettymuch just one New Year's.

Our friends' party has gotten a little strange. They want everyone to wear a mask, and bring whatever fireworks we might have on hand.

I'll be wearing my Jim Craig style goalie mask, and I have a bunch of 6 and 10 oz. bottle rockets.

I'm supposed to be at work by 11 PM, but since we'll be just 10 minutes from the city, I'm trying to work a deal so that I can be in by 12:30. We'll see.

Don't forget about the leap second tonight at midnight GMT. That will be 7 PM on our time. The clocks will go 06:59:58, 06:59:59, 06:59:60, 07:00:00.
Have fun and be safe, everyone.

Last edited:
Lol, unless your clocks are locked/jam to a timing system like time code, NTP, or GPS, you'll just be a second ahead.

We are supposed to go to our friends' house for New Year's Eve. I say supposed to because hubby was home sick Friday and I am having another insomnia session (it is 2:48 am).

It is my turn to take dinner and they will do dessert. I am making rouladen with mashed potatoes (for the gravy!), the same onion tart recipe I made for Christmas, carrots and salad.

TB is better and dinner is on!

New Year's Day is our traditional go out (or order in) Chinese from a place not too far away. There are many Asian restaurants in our area of different types but none are very good.

Back
Top Bottom