2017 new Holiday side dishes..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
:chef:Most of us serve the classic side dishes most everyone enjoys but I'm wondering if there is an out of the ordinary side dish that will be on your holiday tables this year.
Links or original recipes are most appreciated.

This recipe got rave reviews after some slight changes. I made the changes here, along with slightly different directions. It will be on one of my holiday tables.

Carrot Souffle'

• 7 cups chopped carrot (about 2 pounds)
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar (or sweetener equivalent)
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • Cooking spray
Step 1
Preheat oven to 350°.

Step 2
In a large pot cook carrot in boiling water 15 minutes or until very tender; drain. Use a stick blender on the carrots till smooth. Add the rest of the ingredients and pulse to combine.

Step 3
Spoon mixture into a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until puffed and set. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.

An added benefit is it has fewer carbs and calories than a sweet potato casserole.

Last edited:
I wish. My family eats the same holiday meals today that we ate 60 years ago.

CD

I'm the boring cook CD wants relief from ;) I don't want anything different for Thanksgiving. I love the tradition of the holiday. We change things up for Christmas and New Year's.

I'm the boring cook CD wants relief from ;) I don't want anything different for Thanksgiving. I love the tradition of the holiday. We change things up for Christmas and New Year's.

+1... Unfortunately, my family traditions have all but gone.. Life goes on but, I miss those days and traditions.. The good thing is that my daughter, in Missouri, upholds the family holiday dinner traditions and I will be with her for 2018 holidays.. :)

Ross

Our family, after 40+ years using my admission ticket to a family- free- for- all (you kids take it outside if you're going to do that, I swear I heard someone say this last year, ala the Ghost of Mom) has finally begun to loosen up with what is a traditional holiday meal vs allowing additions or variations. (honesty prevails here, if you are a new family member you are allowed to bring a dish from your own traditions.) It was only last year that home made cranberry sauce was allowed on the table in addition to canned jellied kind. I tried that one year a long time ago, no one ate any. One year someone made a savory sweet potato dish. The only reason it was allowed back is because it was quite tasty. But we're back to brown sugar sweets and a separate savory dish. For the longest time I was only allowed to bring scalloped corn, which was indeed a new addition 40 years ago. But you know, I had to break that mold, it gets to be a tiresome expectation if that's the only thing you are allowed to bring.

I might make scalloped corn this year , haven't done it in quite awhile. and only because I would want to do it.

Other things I really want to bring is Tax Lady's Danish red cabbage. I'd have to add an apple and probably some onion to her recipe.

I am considering a baby green bean vegetable salad with a garlicky Dijon vinaigrette. Serve at room temp and no need to nuke it up and over cook the beans.

Or

Roasted Brussels Sprouts Salad also served room temp. I haven't made this, but the recipe looks good to me:

1 lb brussels sprouts ends trimmed
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1/2 red onion sliced
1/4 cup dried cranberries (more, they're little)
2 stalks green onions chopped
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Juice from 1 lemon
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp maple syrup
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp dried oregano
Salt and pepper to taste

Use a sharp knife to slice the brussels sprouts thinly lengthwise, or you can do this in a food processor with the slicer attachment.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, and spread sliced almonds in a single layer on a baking sheet.
Bake for 5-6 minutes until the almonds are lightly browned, shaking the pan every minute.
Remove from the oven and transfer to a separate plate to keep from browning further.
Raise the oven temperature to 400 degrees F.
Combine sliced brussels sprouts, 1 T oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl and toss until well combined.
Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through, until the brussels sprouts are tender and the edges are browned slightly.
While the brussels sprouts are roasting, combine the rest of the ingredients, in a large mixing bowl and toss together.
Add the brussels sprouts into the bowl once they are finished roasting. Toss everything together to coat.
Season with more salt and pepper, if needed.
Serve warm or cold.

--
HEY-- I didn't put that mad face up there and don't know how delete it. Fingers/keyboard need to get into Holiday Mode!

Last edited by a moderator:

My family is also more flexible for Christmas dinner. We always anchor the meal with a ham, but there is wiggle room on what we eat with the ham.

Best part is, I get the ham bone with some meat clinging to it, and make a big pot of ham and bean soup with it on the coldest day in January.

CD

PS: I still have a picture of the ham and bean soup from January 2017. Yay, a picture! You have all probably seen it before, but it's a picture. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Attachments

• BHSoup.jpg
    BHSoup.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Our family, after 40+ years using my admission ticket to a family- free- for- all (you kids take it outside if you're going to do that, I swear I heard someone say this last year, ala the Ghost of Mom) has finally begun to loosen up with what is a traditional holiday meal vs allowing additions or variations. (honesty prevails here, if you are a new family member you are allowed to bring a dish from your own traditions.) It was only last year that home made cranberry sauce was allowed on the table in addition to canned jellied kind. I tried that one year a long time ago, no one ate any. One year someone made a savory sweet potato dish. The only reason it was allowed back is because it was quite tasty. But we're back to brown sugar sweets and a separate savory dish. For the longest time I was only allowed to bring scalloped corn, which was indeed a new addition 40 years ago. But you know, I had to break that mold, it gets to be a tiresome expectation if that's the only thing you are allowed to bring.

I might make scalloped corn this year , haven't done it in quite awhile. and only because I would want to do it.

Other things I really want to bring is Tax Lady's Danish red cabbage. I'd have to add an apple and probably some onion to her recipe.

I am considering a baby green bean vegetable salad with a garlicky Dijon vinaigrette. Serve at room temp and no need to nuke it up and over cook the beans.

Or

Roasted Brussels Sprouts Salad also served room temp. I haven't made this, but the recipe looks good to me:

1 lb brussels sprouts ends trimmed
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1/2 red onion sliced
1/4 cup dried cranberries (more, they're little)
2 stalks green onions chopped
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Juice from 1 lemon
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp maple syrup
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp dried oregano
Salt and pepper to taste

Use a sharp knife to slice the brussels sprouts thinly lengthwise, or you can do this in a food processor with the slicer attachment.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, and spread sliced almonds in a single layer on a baking sheet.
Bake for 5-6 minutes until the almonds are lightly browned, shaking the pan every minute.
Remove from the oven and transfer to a separate plate to keep from browning further.
Raise the oven temperature to 400 degrees F.
Combine sliced brussels sprouts, 1 T oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl and toss until well combined.
Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through, until the brussels sprouts are tender and the edges are browned slightly.
While the brussels sprouts are roasting, combine the rest of the ingredients, in a large mixing bowl and toss together.
Add the brussels sprouts into the bowl once they are finished roasting. Toss everything together to coat.
Season with more salt and pepper, if needed.
Serve warm or cold.

--
HEY-- I didn't put that mad face up there and don't know how delete it. Fingers/keyboard need to get into Holiday Mode!

I love and hate Brussels Sprouts. I love them when they are cooked by someone who knows how to cook them right. Otherwise, I hate them. If I owned a restaurant, and was hiring a chef, I'd probably give them a basket of Brussels Sprouts and tell them to make something amazing.

I may have to try your recipe, and see if I can get over the Brussels Sprouts culinary hurdle.

CD

We're usually more traditional at Thanksgiving. There may be variations on a dish, but the main ingredients stay pretty constant for the most part.

One year when my SIL was having it at her house she made breaded and baked pork chops. :ohmy: I mean, they are perfectly fine and I love them, but this was foisted upon us with no warning! I asked her "WHY?? Oh WHY???". She said they really had a taste for turkey a week earlier so they cooked it then. :( They coulda had us over for T-day a week earlier. Yup, I made a right proper Thanksgiving dinner the following week. :LOL:

We're pretty flexible when it comes to sides. In that I mean we have taken some usually served dishes and made some changes. Green bean casserole is scratch made including the soup. Sweet potato casserole has been changed to chunks of potato steamed in an oven safe, saute pan that has butter added to the water. When the water evaporates and the potatoes are done brown sugar, pecans, rum or bourbon, S&P are added to make a nice glaze. Marsh mellows can be added, if desired, and the pan can be placed in the oven to brown them.

We also experiment with other sides if there is a particular "theme" to the meal.

I did a new appy last year. South Georgia Hummus. Boiled peanuts with roasted garlic and tahini paste. Served with fried pork skins as dippers. Don't knock it until you try it.

I usually try to make one non-traditional dish every year. I also like to cycle in some of my grandmother's dishes. She always served things that I've not seen on many Thanksgiving tables. Onion pie, sauerkraut salad, mashed rutabagas, vegetable dressing, and so on.

New for me: I grated orange rind and squeezed some fresh OJ into our canned cranberry sauce. Then I added a bit of grated ginger. Really punched it up.

Our holiday dinners are usually anchored by the traditional stuff, but my FIL and I mix it up on how it's prepared. Oven, or smoked or fried. The women make the normal sides and I'll usually find something new to try.

It wouldn't be unexpected to see pulled pork, smoked beans or poppers in the mix, which are all possible depending on time.

I have two jobs starting in the next weekor so, so time is suddenly short. May be smoked cauliflower and wrapped sprouts. Not sure if I have a full night to do pork. That may have to wait for Christmas, which is when I try and bring the main.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom