"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-18-2017, 02:22 PM   #1
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,544
2017 Winter Holiday Menus/Plans

I am starting to plan my holiday menus. My DD expressed that she would like to experience a soup to nuts Christmas Day meal.

I am now looking for an example format for such a meal.

I would be interested to see a list of courses lineup first (example: soup, appy, cheese, pasta, fish, meat, etc.), then recipe suggestions.

I have a prelim menu in mind.

Any suggestions are welcome. TIA

Please post suggestions and share your Holiday Meal plans.

I will post my menus when I lock them done.
__________________

__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:10 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 19,775
Here you go - a guide to a Downton Abbey-style dinner

https://www.katom.com/blog/downton-a...0-course-meal/
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:32 AM   #3
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Here you go - a guide to a Downton Abbey-style dinner

https://www.katom.com/blog/downton-a...0-course-meal/
Thank you GG. I had some of those courses planned but wasn't sure of the serving order.

Don't think it will be 10 courses but enough to make DD happy. So long as she helps with the prep/cooking of the meal.
When I was young I had 1 great aunt and 1 second cousin who did Thanksgiving dinners that started at around 11 AM and finished around 9 or 10 PM! YIKES.

Mom and I only had dinner once at each of their houses. We mostly had holidays at her sisters houses who took turns with the holidays. Which included Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years Eve, New Years Day, Good Friday and Easter. One year they all did dinner. They each took a course and we traveled from one house to the next. That only happened ONCE. LOL
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:07 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 19,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Thank you GG. I had some of those courses planned but wasn't sure of the serving order.

Don't think it will be 10 courses but enough to make DD happy. So long as she helps with the prep/cooking of the meal.
Here's a more reasonable menu plan Seven courses is more doable, and some of it doesn't even have to be cooked. A cheese course can be prepared in advance and just brought to the table. Lots of good tips on choosing types of foods here: The Ultimate Menu Planning Guide


Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
When I was young I had 1 great aunt and 1 second cousin who did Thanksgiving dinners that started at around 11 AM and finished around 9 or 10 PM! YIKES.

Mom and I only had dinner once at each of their houses. We mostly had holidays at her sisters houses who took turns with the holidays. Which included Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years Eve, New Years Day, Good Friday and Easter. One year they all did dinner. They each took a course and we traveled from one house to the next. That only happened ONCE. LOL
Wow, a ten-hour meal! Crazy.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:14 PM   #5
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Here's a more reasonable menu plan Seven courses is more doable, and some of it doesn't even have to be cooked. A cheese course can be prepared in advance and just brought to the table. Lots of good tips on choosing types of foods here: The Ultimate Menu Planning Guide




Wow, a ten-hour meal! Crazy.
Thank you GG. I did have a cheese and fruit course planned.

Yes, 10 hours with long breaks between courses. So the men could watch sports or go to the high school game etc.
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
menu

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.