"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2017, 09:28 AM   #21
Master Chef

One question. I know we have talk about many times and I can google it, but what's the recommended temp for Medium Rare Rib Eye roast? I'm planing to make on Sunday and reheat it up on Monday before even in sterno.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:57 PM   #22
Master Chef

Charlie, this is a great link that Rocklobster posted a couple of years ago. Lots of tips, hints and recipes for catering.

Growlies BIG recipes Index recipes to serve 100 people or more

Good luck!

Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:03 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
One question. I know we have talk about many times and I can google it, but what's the recommended temp for Medium Rare Rib Eye roast? I'm planing to make on Sunday and reheat it up on Monday before even in sterno.
I think it's really risky to try to reheat the ribeye roast without overcooking it.

I would shoot for 120. After resting, it should be 130-135. I wouldn't put it on Sterno, either. The heat will continue to cook it. Good beef still tastes great when it's not hot.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:23 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I think it's really risky to try to reheat the ribeye roast without overcooking it.

I would shoot for 120. After resting, it should be 130-135. I wouldn't put it on Sterno, either. The heat will continue to cook it. Good beef still tastes great when it's not hot.
I totally agree. It will be very hard to reheat it without it overcooking. And reheating with sterno rather than an oven seems super dicey...

I'd suggest cooking it on Monday and letting it rest while you cook the fish and chicken before service.

I also agree that warm or room temp beef is probably quite acceptable for this kind of event.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:23 PM   #25
Executive Chef

I'm also looking forward to your report back on how everything went for you, and how everything tasted. Best of luck!
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:31 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Good luck, Charlie! You'll do fine. If anyone complains, smile warmly and tell them next time they can run the event.

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:43 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Thankyou everybody. I think I got it.

We are actually getting sushi and wine table, right when people will come in. We decided on a salad bar with 2-3 different dressings.
some dips, olives and pickles will be served on the tables
Baked salmon
chicken
and roast
for sides roasted potato and green beans, and rice for those who do not like potatoes, like my daughter ( I have to check if she is mine, what kind of russian child doesn't like potato? )
chocolate chip cookies, store bought cake for dessert and cut up fruits.
Big job.
Hope to report if I survive
Shared your post with Pirate. He too is : That is just too funny!
Old 02-25-2017, 11:42 AM   #28
Sous Chef

You have to accept that this is going to be tiring. Do ALL the cold dishes the day before. Be prepared to be up at 5am to do the rib roasts and any other roasts you have to do. You should take time to relax as you go, and take things a little easy - after all, you are the most important person in all of this. Personally, I like doing roasts in the middle of the night, because there's nobody else around, and you will have time to relax and watch what's going on in the oven, without anybody else around to tell me what to do. It will be tiring, but you will have achieved your aim. I've also done this type of catering for large numbers of people, and organised waiters, sommeliers for the wine, extra chefs and all that, waiters, waitresses and the lot. I've learned that there's no time better than the night to do your roasts.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
di reston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:20 PM   #29
Sous Chef

Could do a chicken fajita station with the chicken so you can just shred the chicken and cook it with peppers and onions. Could do that with perhaps half the chicken? Then serve tortillas on the side, salsa. They can make their own.

Some people might want just a plain chicken piece.

Then make cold cuts with the beef -- bread and all the fixings, so they can make their own sandwiches. Or they can have a piece of beef by itself and no bread.
jd_1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:23 PM   #30
Master Chef

Sounds wonderful, Charlie. It's getting close now....hoping to hear how it all went! I'm sure the guests will be very happy with the menu.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:32 PM   #31
Senior Cook

I read this yesterday, and all I could think was, I sure am glad it ain't me. That's a lot of people.

I would do 100 or so pounds of pulled pork, beans and salad.

Good luck. You are probably in the thick of it today. Don't forget to eat and keep hydrated.

Take pictures, as I'm sure you will have plenty of spare time.
Vinylhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 03:22 PM   #32
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylhanger View Post
I read this yesterday, and all I could think was, I sure am glad it ain't me. That's a lot of people.

Good luck. You are probably in the thick of it today. Don't forget to eat and keep hydrated.

Exactly. :) What makes it hard is that the proteins were pre-selected for the OP (I think) and also wanting to prepare it a certain way. I wouldn't even remotely try to make it fine dining/a la minute. Unless he has a staff of 40. :) Which he doesn't.

But I agree, if it were me, I'd just make a huge vat of BBQ brisket (cooked low and slow), and then have 2 BBQ sauces (mild and hot), and then the side dishes. Or people could make BBQ sandwiches.

And with the chicken, I'd make chicken fajitas in onions and peppers, and people can build them themselves.
jd_1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:41 PM   #33
Master Chef

Still in the kitchen. Chicken and veggies are done. Haven't had chance to read all responses, but thank you.
35 lb one piece chuck roast will go into oven at 9, or so and cook till tomorrow morning.
Roast was still frozen so I couldn't cook even if I wanted.
More updates later
Old 02-26-2017, 10:24 PM   #34
Master Chef

Wow, that was some chunk of meat. I originally thought that it was going to be 3 or even 4 smaller chuck roasts. It was one honking piece of meat. It's in the oven, by the time I added onions, carrots and mushrooms and wine, two of us had hard time lifting it. It is a wall oven, pretty high.
I have 4 rib eye roasts. 4 are 60 pounds.
Thank G-d I had help. 2 20 quarts, I think they are 20 quarts, bowls of russian beet salad are ready.
My wife made about 250 chocolate chip cookies, there will be store bought cakes.
More tomorrow. Good night.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:31 PM   #35
Senior Cook

Well, I'm enjoying this thread. Whether you are or not I suppose will be determined tomorrow.
Vinylhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:22 PM   #36
Master Chef

The satisfaction of people enjoying their food and keeping thanking me makes up for pain in my whole body.
Will post some photos tomorrow
Old 02-27-2017, 10:27 PM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
The satisfaction of people enjoying their food and keeping thanking me makes up for pain in my whole body.
Will post some photos tomorrow
I'm so glad to hear that! It's a reward in itself for all the work you did, Charlie. Congratulations! Looking forward to the pics, and I hope you have a nice restful sleep tonight.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:25 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Congrats, Charlie! I hope you wake up all refreshed in the morning. Looking forward to your photos.

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:45 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Congrats, Charlie! I hope you wake up all refreshed in the morning. Looking forward to your photos.
Ditto!
Old 02-28-2017, 12:06 PM   #40
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylhanger View Post

I believe that Charlie keeps Kosher.