"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2017, 09:12 PM   #71
Senior Cook

If I had to cook for all those people, I'd do a taco buffet. Just cook up the taco meat, and they can assemble their own. Put the shells/tortillas in a warmer, and have containers of cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, salsa, beans, rice. If steak's in the budget, could do steak tacos.

I can eat Mexican food everyday. Yum.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:49 PM   #72
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Charlie, you do so many nice things for so many people. And if it makes you happy, keep on truckin'! It says something about how much people enjoy you and your delicious food.

Thank you. You are too kind.

People did enjoy the food, if I may say so, food was good. Made me happy. The person I was helping though works very hard, he can never make food taste good. No seasoning, nothing.

Downside. I am still exhausted, even today. 100 people is a lot of work.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:43 PM   #73
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I wish I knew how to say no. Plus, honestly, I do get satisfaction of making good food, food that people like. Not some prison slap that is usually made. Problem is today i am half asleep at work.
Ask them to pay for your time as well as the ingredients - that usually stops them!

The last time I did a big buffet (149 mixed vegetarians and carnivores) the carnivores complained that the food was "all" for vegetarians and the vegetarians complained that the food was "all" for carnivores!!!!

I declined the next time I was asked by that group.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:38 PM   #74
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Ask them to pay for your time as well as the ingredients - that usually stops them!

The last time I did a big buffet (149 mixed vegetarians and carnivores) the carnivores complained that the food was "all" for vegetarians and the vegetarians complained that the food was "all" for carnivores!!!!

I declined the next time I was asked by that group.
That's just rude on their part.
I had made an event for some women's group once and they did not thank me. They thanked my wife, but she was not the one cooking. And they called me when they needed help, the could have found time to call and say thank you. Next time they called me I said no.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:46 AM   #75
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
That's just rude on their part.
I had made an event for some women's group once and they did not thank me. They thanked my wife, but she was not the one cooking. And they called me when they needed help, the could have found time to call and say thank you. Next time they called me I said no.
I made an eggplant parm for a luncheon at work once. My boss at the time was vegi. He loved it and told me to tell my mother she was a good cook!
Old 03-30-2017, 01:22 PM   #76
Chef Extraordinaire

Men are chefs, women cook in the home. Hard to break the way folks grow up and their thinking. It's just imbedded in their brain. But we know different.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:33 AM   #77
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Men are chefs, women cook in the home. Hard to break the way folks grow up and their thinking. It's just imbedded in their brain. But we know different.

My wife bakes, not that I don't - I do. But I have to leave something for her to get credit. As she likes to joke "me and Duncan Hines". I don't use mixes, I am not a proficient baker but when I do I bake from scratch, all the boxes is a big joke for me. So when people thank me for baking I tell them it was my wife, when they thank her for cooking she tells them it was me.