250 guests event planning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One question. I know we have talk about many times and I can google it, but what's the recommended temp for Medium Rare Rib Eye roast? I'm planing to make on Sunday and reheat it up on Monday before even in sterno.

One question. I know we have talk about many times and I can google it, but what's the recommended temp for Medium Rare Rib Eye roast? I'm planing to make on Sunday and reheat it up on Monday before even in sterno.
I think it's really risky to try to reheat the ribeye roast without overcooking it.

I would shoot for 120. After resting, it should be 130-135. I wouldn't put it on Sterno, either. The heat will continue to cook it. Good beef still tastes great when it's not hot.

I think it's really risky to try to reheat the ribeye roast without overcooking it.

I would shoot for 120. After resting, it should be 130-135. I wouldn't put it on Sterno, either. The heat will continue to cook it. Good beef still tastes great when it's not hot.

I totally agree. It will be very hard to reheat it without it overcooking. And reheating with sterno rather than an oven seems super dicey...

I'd suggest cooking it on Monday and letting it rest while you cook the fish and chicken before service.

I also agree that warm or room temp beef is probably quite acceptable for this kind of event.

I'm also looking forward to your report back on how everything went for you, and how everything tasted. Best of luck!

Thankyou everybody. I think I got it.

We are actually getting sushi and wine table, right when people will come in. We decided on a salad bar with 2-3 different dressings.
some dips, olives and pickles will be served on the tables
Baked salmon
chicken
and roast
for sides roasted potato and green beans, and rice for those who do not like potatoes, like my daughter ( I have to check if she is mine, what kind of russian child doesn't like potato?:rolleyes: :LOL: )
chocolate chip cookies, store bought cake for dessert and cut up fruits.
Big job.
Hope to report if I survive ;)

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Shared your post with Pirate. He too is ::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: That is just too funny!

You have to accept that this is going to be tiring. Do ALL the cold dishes the day before. Be prepared to be up at 5am to do the rib roasts and any other roasts you have to do. You should take time to relax as you go, and take things a little easy - after all, you are the most important person in all of this. Personally, I like doing roasts in the middle of the night, because there's nobody else around, and you will have time to relax and watch what's going on in the oven, without anybody else around to tell me what to do. It will be tiring, but you will have achieved your aim. I've also done this type of catering for large numbers of people, and organised waiters, sommeliers for the wine, extra chefs and all that, waiters, waitresses and the lot. I've learned that there's no time better than the night to do your roasts.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Could do a chicken fajita station with the chicken so you can just shred the chicken and cook it with peppers and onions. Could do that with perhaps half the chicken? Then serve tortillas on the side, salsa. They can make their own.

Some people might want just a plain chicken piece.

Then make cold cuts with the beef -- bread and all the fixings, so they can make their own sandwiches. Or they can have a piece of beef by itself and no bread.

Last edited:
Sounds wonderful, Charlie. It's getting close now....hoping to hear how it all went! I'm sure the guests will be very happy with the menu. :yum:

I read this yesterday, and all I could think was, I sure am glad it ain't me. That's a lot of people.

I would do 100 or so pounds of pulled pork, beans and salad.

Good luck. You are probably in the thick of it today. Don't forget to eat and keep hydrated.

Take pictures, as I'm sure you will have plenty of spare time.

I read this yesterday, and all I could think was, I sure am glad it ain't me. That's a lot of people.

Good luck. You are probably in the thick of it today. Don't forget to eat and keep hydrated.

Exactly. :) What makes it hard is that the proteins were pre-selected for the OP (I think) and also wanting to prepare it a certain way. I wouldn't even remotely try to make it fine dining/a la minute. Unless he has a staff of 40. :) Which he doesn't.

But I agree, if it were me, I'd just make a huge vat of BBQ brisket (cooked low and slow), and then have 2 BBQ sauces (mild and hot), and then the side dishes. Or people could make BBQ sandwiches.

And with the chicken, I'd make chicken fajitas in onions and peppers, and people can build them themselves.

Still in the kitchen. Chicken and veggies are done. Haven't had chance to read all responses, but thank you.
35 lb one piece chuck roast will go into oven at 9, or so and cook till tomorrow morning.
Roast was still frozen so I couldn't cook even if I wanted.
More updates later

Wow, that was some chunk of meat. I originally thought that it was going to be 3 or even 4 smaller chuck roasts. It was one honking piece of meat. It's in the oven, by the time I added onions, carrots and mushrooms and wine, two of us had hard time lifting it. It is a wall oven, pretty high.
I have 4 rib eye roasts. 4 are 60 pounds.
Thank G-d I had help. 2 20 quarts, I think they are 20 quarts, bowls of russian beet salad are ready.
My wife made about 250 chocolate chip cookies, there will be store bought cakes.
More tomorrow. Good night.

The satisfaction of people enjoying their food and keeping thanking me makes up for pain in my whole body.
Will post some photos tomorrow

The satisfaction of people enjoying their food and keeping thanking me makes up for pain in my whole body.
Will post some photos tomorrow

I'm so glad to hear that! It's a reward in itself for all the work you did, Charlie. Congratulations! Looking forward to the pics, and I hope you have a nice restful sleep tonight.

I believe that Charlie keeps Kosher.;)

Back
Top Bottom