A different dip for everyone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DH and I used to go to a little Greek restaurant about an hour away. They served Saganaki, a Greek cheese that was flamed and served with pita chips. Then the waiters would break plates and sing to us.

Sounds strange, but we enjoyed it!

We've been doing a simple, tasty onion dip.

Cream cheese, either the spreadable kind or let it come to room temperature.
Stir in sour cream or yogourt until you get the texture you like.
Add a lot of onion powder and a bunch of dry onion flakes.
Add some fish sauce. (It's salty, so you don't need any other salt.)

Stir well and let it sit for at least an hour. Overnight is even better. Add more onion if it seems to want it.

Last edited:
DH and I used to go to a little Greek restaurant about an hour away. They served Saganaki, a Greek cheese that was flamed and served with pita chips. Then the waiters would break plates and sing to us.

Sounds strange, but we enjoyed it!

OMG, I love saganaki! Not strange at all! Opa! :LOL:

Lawson's, a now-defunct convenience store in the greater Cleveland area, had the best "French Onion Dip". You can still find it at some Northeast OH Circle K stores, but I found a recipe for it online. I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know how close it is to the original. It's not as salty as one using Lipton Onion Soup in the mix, and has a milder onion flavor. I could kill off an entire regular-size bag of Snyder's potato chips and the small tub of dip back when I was young. Now, just thinking of it, and my hips expand just a little. :ermm:

If anyone is interested, the dip is:

8 ounces of sour cream
8 ounces tub of cream cheese with chives/onion
1 Tbsp. dry ranch mix

Mix thoroughly, and refrigerate overnight.

Fabulous thread!
Now that DH and I will be moving nearer to Mr&Mrs. DF's,
I can make dips again... I've started a copy&paste doc in my recipe file...
DH does not care for these things... "it's too creamy, I don't like that..." please add whinny brat little 10 year old boy voice here :LOL:

002.JPG

This is as close as I get to any kind of dip...
I have to hide in the kitchen because it grosses
DH out WAY TOO MUCH. He can't even
handle the smell, HA!
Just now, he came into the kitchen after I had
quietly put away my treat, "What's that smell?" :LOL:

Taxy and CG, you just reminded me of a dip I'd love to try, using Penzeys Fox Point seasoning. It's on the label on the back of the jar, and has gotten great reviews on the 'net.

Basically it calls for mixing 2-3 tsps. of the seasoning with sour cream, but I think it would be great with a mixture of cream cheese and sour cream or plain yogurt to thin it out.

Fox Point is a blend of salt, shallots, chives, garlic, onion, and green peppercorns. Sounds to me like something worth a try. :yum:

Last edited:
Same with my dear SIL. He's gotten better too :LOL:, at least his motto is no longer "I don't like anything green...". :ermm::ohmy:

:LOL: kgirl, I had to laugh..! DH sounds even pickier than my SIL. ;):LOL:

My SIL, DH's older sister, is WORSE!
The only thing that I've EVER seen her eat is:
Cold cereal with milk
Anything Italian, pasta, meatballs, sausage, etc.
Grilled Chicken or Steak with Rice
oh, and Lipton Onion Soup Mix Dip with Ruffles, gotta be Ruffles Potato chips
THAT'S IT! :blink:
She HATES any type of vegetable, sheez :turned:

The secret to handling picky, picky eaters is reverse psychology. Insist that they would never like that, so don't even bother to try it. Then let them know that it is all right. More for you. Share it with those you know will love it as much as you do and let picky whiner hear all the raves about it.

It works on picky kids, and it works on whiney picky grown up kids. :angel:

From what I understood (I never met either of my InLaws, they passed long before we met) Mom was not a great cook and forced the kids to eat whatever she made, even if they couldn't get it down... at least mine has gotten better, he even admits to that :) now he eats things that he never would touch...
Back on topic though, I pulled down my Recipe Binder and I don't have a single 'dip' recipe. I have appetizers galore...

From what I understood (I never met either of my InLaws, they passed long before we met) Mom was not a great cook and forced the kids to eat whatever she made, even if they couldn't get it down... at least mine has gotten better, he even admits to that :) now he eats things that he never would touch...
Back on topic though, I pulled down my Recipe Binder and I don't have a single 'dip' recipe. I have appetizers galore...

My first husband was a classical trained pro chef. So we had an agreement. I knew how to cook from my mother. If I wanted to cook something I wasn't sure he would like, I asked. And he in turn did the same. We never criticized what the other cooked. Sometimes though I did ask him for advice.

My second husband was a joy to cook for. The only food he refused to eat was powdered eggs. A carry over from being in the service. Since we never had them, it was not a problem. No matter what I cooked, he thought it was a miracle food. I never asked him what kind of cook his mother was. But I never heard him rave about her cooking or making any special dish he loved. :angel:

The secret to handling picky, picky eaters is reverse psychology. Insist that they would never like that, so don't even bother to try it. Then let them know that it is all right. More for you. Share it with those you know will love it as much as you do and let picky whiner hear all the raves about it.

It works on picky kids, and it works on whiney picky grown up kids. :angel:

That method would have NEVER worked on me or my brother as kids. We would have been fine with that and not tried it. :LOL: As it was, we were strongly encouraged from a young age to try one bite. If we still didn't like it, they'd try again 6 months later.

If someone pulled that on me as an adult, I'd be offended at being treated in such a patronizing way. :ermm::glare::LOL:

Last edited:
That method would have NEVER worked on me or my brother as kids. We would have been fine with that and not tried it. :LOL: As it was, we were strongly encouraged from a young age to try one bite. If we still didn't like it, they'd try again 6 months later.

If someone pulled that on me as an adult, I'd be offended at being treated in such a patronizing way. :ermm::glare::LOL:

You know something Cheryl. I am one of those picky eaters. I am not even willing to try one bite. Pirate for years has been trying to get me to taste octopus. No way is that going to happen. :angel:

I have an entire cookbook of dip recipes that I won in an online contest. And I have a photo album filled with recipes from newspapers and magazines (the album was given to me long before the Internet), with a couple of pages dedicated to dips ;) Let me know if you're looking for something in particular.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom