"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 12-12-2015, 11:40 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Good idea for a thread, Addie! A can of Rotel mixed with cream cheese, nuked, always disappears fast. We like Rotel nuked with Velveeta too.
Thank you.

Old 12-12-2015, 02:22 PM   #12
Executive Chef

According to Better Than Bouillon they have a Mushroom kind. Do you think this is the same as powdered mushrooms? I need to pump up a mushroom stroganoff to max flavor--

At our house, who knew a simple dip has political implications. Christmas Eve we are serving pickled herring on crackers. The two oldest bros' will enjoy this, as will we. That means no smoked salmon/ smoked fish dip.

The ideal dip should be no alcohol ( no beer cheese dip), vegetarian friendly, not too spicy, no blue cheese, no "weird" flavors, that means nothing un-familiar, so no hummus, no pesto, and Specifically my favorite-- Guacamole is vetoed !
"You always serve this". "Yes, and it's always gone in a flash". Well, I agree, it probably is ever present, and I probably eat half of it.

I was looking thru my recipes, and discovered this Oldie we've been making for about 40+ years although we haven't made recently. I'm going to offer it as a possibility when I see Dx later this weekend.

Beau Monde Dip

1 c. sour cream
1 c. mayonnaise
1 Tb dried parsley ( use fresh snipped)
1 Tb dried dill weed (use fresh snipped
1 Tb finely chopped green onion or chives
1 tsp. Spice Islands Beau Monde
Mix. Chill. Eat. Best made the day before serving.

Not sure how accurate this is. If can't find Beau Monde= substitute equal parts celery salt, garlic powder, onion powder

Old 12-12-2015, 03:31 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
According to Better Than Bouillon they have a Mushroom kind. Do you think this is the same as powdered mushrooms? I need to pump up a mushroom stroganoff to max flavor--
I don't know about BTB, but it's not that hard to make powdered mushrooms. Just make sure you have some really dry porcini (might need to put in oven for a few if they are at all soft, cool) and whiz them in a coffee/spice grinder until you have a powder. We do it all the time and it does get added to stroganoff, among other things.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:39 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

BTB also has lobster and clam. I already have the clam. I use it for clam chowder. Have to try it for a dip though.

What can I say. I am a New Englander born under Boston Harbor. The sea will always be my first love.
Old 12-12-2015, 06:11 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Can of chopped clams, undrained. Softened cream cheese. Drop or two of worschestershire, drop or two of Tabasco. Some Greek yogurt or sour cream to thin it out if you like. Mix well.
Old 12-12-2015, 06:38 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
I don't know about BTB, but it's not that hard to make powdered mushrooms. Just make sure you have some really dry porcini (might need to put in oven for a few if they are at all soft, cool) and whiz them in a coffee/spice grinder until you have a powder. We do it all the time and it does get added to stroganoff, among other things.
I adore porcini mushroom powder. I put super dry ones in a table pepper grinder, and grind away over all kinds of food, even my scrambled eggs.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:58 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

A different dip for everyone

I got some dried porcini from Oregon Mushroom. I immediately powdered up a bunch in my spice/coffee grinder, and it lives in a little magnetic jar that sticks to the side of my fridge next to my stove. I use it in just about everything!
Old 12-12-2015, 07:24 PM   #18
Master Chef

I think my all time favorite is a simple baked dip I've done for years in a pretty ceramic pie plate that belonged to my Mom.

1 14 oz water packed can of artichoke hearts drained and rough chop.
1/2 cup of Best Foods (Helmans) mayo
1/2 cup of Kraft Parmesan in the green shaker. Caution, don't get fancy like I did once. Expensive freshly grated Parm does not work.

Mix it all up in the pretty pie plate and bake at 375 till toasty brown on top.
Best served with Triscuit crackers.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:33 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Can of chopped clams, undrained. Softened cream cheese. Drop or two of worschestershire, drop or two of Tabasco. Some Greek yogurt or sour cream to thin it out if you like. Mix well.
Oh that sounds so good. Next shopping trip, sour cream and chips. I have a can of baby clams. I always keep them on hand for clam chowder.

Right now I am munching on cream cheese and liverwurst. Yum!
Old 12-12-2015, 10:17 PM   #20
Master Chef

I'm really enjoying reading through this thread. Several I've made before, some are new to me. I'll be keeping up with all these great ideas, for sure!

I love spinach artichoke dip. There's a rustic little restaurant along the Kern River that makes a fabulous one. It's a little different - there's no cream cheese and from what I can tell, the main binder is olive oil. Next time I go there I'll pay a little more attention. Spinach, artichokes, parm, and there's another cheese in there too - maybe gruyere...? It's made on site and served hot with huge warmed soft pretzels. I'd love to try to re-create it sometime, they're known for it and sometimes that's all people order. Well, that and beer, because the restaurant is in a brewery. :-)

Tags
dip