"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Old 04-22-2005, 11:23 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
A little help please?

rawr rawr rawr rawr

aqvilifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 11:34 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
You came to the right place. You'll get lots of help.

Here's one of my favorite chocolate dishes.

S E X in a Pan!!

bottom layer:
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cups nuts

mix and spread in bottm of a 9x9 pan.
Bake at 350 for 20 minutes

center layer:
1 8 0z package cream cheese
1 cup of powdered sugar
1/2 of a 9 oz container of cool whip
Mix together and spread over the crust

Top layer:

2 packages instant chocolate pudding
3 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla
mix and spread over cheese filling. On top of the pudding spread rest of the coolwhip and
some chopped nuts! Or mini-chocolate chips

And here's a good appitizer

Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp

12 whole large shrimp, shelled and deveined
4 slices bacon, cut into thirds
2 Tbs (30 ml) soy sauce

Wrap the shrimp in the bacon pieces and fasten with toothpicks. Place
on a baking sheet and drizzle the soy sauce over them. Bake in a
preheated 350F (180C) oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until the bacon is
cooked to the degree of doneness you prefer. Makes 12, to serve 4 to
6 as an appetizer.

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 11:59 PM   #3
Hospitality Queen
You may want to try this dessert out -
Rainee posted it, which means it's very very good.

or, if you're looking for something not too rich but still decadent, may I suggest a dark chocolate mousse with chocolate shavings and fresh raspberries (which have been soaked in grand marnier) layered in it.
Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 03:00 AM   #4
Master Chef
You sound young, and for an appetizer, if she likes it, you can't go wrong with old fashioned shrimp cocktail. Presentation is all in this kind of meal, so find two "marie antoinette" champagne or martini glasses (something with a stem), put a little greens in the glass, ring the shrimp around the edge (a half dozen for each person) make your own cocktail sauce (ketchup and horseradish, maybe a touch of sweet pickle relish) and put a dollop of it in the middle. This is very old-fashioned, very sixties, and very easy, but somehow still evokes a little glamour when you do it right.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 12:38 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
You could have a picnic, even if on the living room floor. Cheese, crusty bread, grapes, assorted olives, AND your chicken salad. If you want you can serve your chicken salad in cantelope halfves or even avocado halves spilling over the side. Makes it fun and a picnic is always fun with someone you care about. Put a few candles around the room and make sure the music is on - or watch a "girly/romantic" movie while you picnic or after you picnic.

I wish the two of you the best. It's not easy being away from one another but it definately can be done.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 02:24 PM   #6
Hospitality Queen
I think kitchenelf's idea is perfect!
What girl wouldn't rave to all of her friends after her boyfriend went to that much effort?!

As for the cheese/grape appetizer, if I can elaborate, I recently was at an irish pub in Vegas that had the most beautiful appetizer plate: a small wedge of brie, 3 babybell cheeses and a large chunk of bleu cheese. With it on the plate: slices of peeled kiwi, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and sliced blood oranges (just a few of each - don't want to get too full!), and then in the center of the plate, in a very artistic 3-D presentation: 1 piece of flatbread, 2 skinny (pencil size) breadsticks, 1 slice of irish soda bread, 1 slice of sourdough, 1 soft roll, and a few other bread goodies. Very memorable.
Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 02:44 PM   #7
Head Chef
Several years back my boyfriend and I had spent 6 months apart when he went to school in London. It made our relationship even stronger. I wish you the best of luck.

I think the picnic idea is a great idea. I would make a nice fresh fruit bowl. You can't go wrong with a good arrangement of fruit.
Go Sooners
abjcooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 01:13 PM   #8
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to kyles
My dh and I had a year apart, him in England and me in Australia, that was four years ago, and now we have been together for three in person. It isn't easy, and your phone bills won't be pretty, but as our wise young elf says - it can be done!

I'm seconding (or is that thirding or fouring) the picnic! I would do fruit and chocolate fondue, with maybe marshmallows and pound cake - romantic finger food.

I can't better jkath's appetiser idea or your chicken salad!!

kyles is offline   Reply With Quote