A newbie cooking her first turkey!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL! A brother from another mother, BC!

I would always promptly toss the giblets straight from the cavities into the trash, till both Mother and MIL joined us, and under their close watch, I boiled them. Then, when they weren't looking, I tossed them in the trash too.

I'm a bit more adventurous now, and do use the giblet liquid in the gravy, minus the liver and kidneys, which makes the whole thing gross and cloudy.

My grandmother always loved all the "weird stuff" that came with the turkey, she'd eat the neck too. Me being a picky kid would turn green watching her... My partner ate the marrow out of a ham steak bone a couple of weeks ago and I got a little nauseated...

Now I toss the bag of "stuff" but will use the neck to make a little broth for the stuffing or gravy, but that's as adventurous as I'll get.

I'm old school I guess, and I like to put the stuffing into the bird. My childhood memories are of spooning the stuffing out of the bird. I always got to have a taste. Mom always toasted the bread so it didn't get soggy in the bird. I like to use dried bread stuffing such as Pepridge Farms makes and add all of my goodies. I like the taste of the stuffing better when it's in the bird, and I don't have to have another pan.
I guess for me simple means stuffing that bird.

Back
Top Bottom