"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Old 02-21-2014, 08:13 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
Last picnic I was on all I had was some takeout and a blanket.
Everybody was pleased.
I hope this helps.

Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:45 PM   #12
Master Chef
I'd make a generous platter with an array of pinwheel sandwiches with various fillings. There are dozens of ideas for the fillings. They are both pretty and easy to eat and the vegetarian can see which ones have meat in them to avoid making a fuss. A simple couscous salad with halved grape tomatoes, artichoke hearts, kalamata olives, basil, and a light lemon dressing would work well.
Lemon bars or lemon tarts would make most people happy.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:44 PM   #13
Executive Chef
Baked beans, cole slaw, broccoli salad, tabouleh (sp), caponata, hummus, some herbed up pre toasted pita triangles. Guacamole, a rice and spinach (kale) or something colorful to add in the rice, either as a casserole or a salad.

Lemon bars. Angel food cake topped with some fresh fruit. Apple or other fruit crisp

If you are in a warmer climate and can hold an outdoor picnic !?! , then you should serve icy cold watermelon slices.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:30 AM   #14
Executive Chef
I'm going to have to bookmark this thread so that, come picnic season, I can come back and look at the ideas. Lots of good ones coming in.
Just because something has a duck bill doesn't mean it's a platypus. It might just be a duck.
Roger Miller: You can't roller skate in a buffalo heard, but you can be happy if you've a mind to.
purple.alien.giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:48 AM   #15
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If one person is a vegetarian, that doesn't mean no one can have meat.
If another person won't eat chocolate, that doesn't mean...
If a third person can't have nuts,...

Fried chicken is a picnic classic.
A Pasta and/or bean salad for the vegetarian that can also serve as a side for the fried chicken.
Fresh fruits and cheeses.
You should have no problem coming up with a dessert that avoids nuts and chocolate.
Which one of these picky eaters is the certain someone you are trying to impress? If you are trying to impress all of them, best pack some oysters in that pic-a-nic basket!

Yes, fried chicken is a picnic classic, but I have always preferred a store bought rotisserie chicken.

Baked beans, a green bean salad, or multi-bean salads can be served hot or cold, macaroni and potato salads will keep on ice for several hours, or you could just settle for a variety of chips; potato, corn, pita, tortilla, etc. and a selection of dips such as salsa, pico de gallo, bean dip, queso dip, and hummus.

Celery and carrot sticks with some bleu cheese and/or ranch dressing is also a distinct possibility, along with black or green olives and jarred mushrooms. Fresh greens salads can be served with a variety of dressings. Many dressings are packaged in small single serve containers that don't require refrigeration.

For dessert, fresh fruit macerated to bring out the juices and served over a slice of angel food cake or pound cake would be very impressive and be both chocolate and nut free. If you have a cooler full of ice, you can bring along a squirt can of REAL whipped cream to top off the cake and fruit. Bring some Cool Whip for the vegetarian. If it were me, I'd bake up some sweet biscuits, get some strawberries (I live in the strawberry capital of the world so I get them fresh year around, but frozen and thawed will work), and seeing I have that whipped cream and/or the tub of whipped hydrogenated vegetable oil in my cooler, make strawberry shortcakes for dessert.

Buon Appetito!
Life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffett
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:35 AM   #16
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Wanda1989 View Post
One of the attendees is vegetarian, one can't eat chocolate and another is allergic to nuts. - Nut free
I guess I can't come?

Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Hi and welcome to DC

I love this sandwich for picnics: Pan Bagnat Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network
This sandwich sounds excellent! Thanks. I saved it.
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:18 PM   #17
Sous Chef
Is the whole outing a surprise? If not, ask the person what works for them. Just a hint or two would help. While most vegetarians might be willing to eat chicken, my mother would not touch chicken except, maybe, during a famine. But neither did she expect any exceptional effort being made for her quirks and would be happy with a fresh french roll, butter or cheese and lots of fruit. You might look into falafel sandwiches. Sorry I don't know much about how to make them.
Oldvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
This sandwich sounds excellent! Thanks. I saved it.
It's really good. I should say, I make more of the dressing because I like to brush it on both sides of the bread. I also cut the sandwiches into quarters and wrap each piece tightly in plastic wrap so at the picnic, I can just give each person their own sandwich - no cutting at the picnic site.

Also, if you make different kinds and cut them into quarters, you can put a piece of tape on each one indicating what kind it is - V for vegetarian, C for chicken, etc.

The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote