American Menu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Meatloaf! With processed American cheese on top.

Fried chicken.

Mac and Cheese from a box!

French Fries, not pomme frites, but those yummy wrinkly things from the freezer. Or Curly fries!

And a brownie fudge sundae for dessert.

I have to agree with Kay. Thanksgiving dinner is about as American as it comes. And don't forget the pumpkin pie!

Well, being in northern MN, I'd go with wild rice soup, walleye, and sour cream raisin pie. Those are the three things that show up at church suppers.

A big fan of wild rice and walleye myself! And gotta love the hotdish! (Which can be anything, served in a casserole dish, usually involves burger, some cream of something soup, and something noodle, rice, or potato-like.)

But CWS and I are both residents of the Great White North of the US, so that may not be representitive of the whole US.

Last edited:
Years ago I had a friend in Europe ( forgot which country), and I remember she was telling me she had to stop by the ' American Store' on the way home from work to pick up some Mac and Cheese for dinner.

I always thought it was strange and actually laughed at it when she told me, cause I never really thought about there being an ' American Store' in other countries, until I realized that I shop at/ and refer to some of the stores i go to as the " Indian Store", and the " Asian Store " ... I wish I was still friendly with her, cause Id love to hear what else she got when she shopped there.

For me, when I think American Meal, Mac and Cheese, Good old Burger/ Hot Dog BBQ w/ corn , potato salad, macaroni salad...( even though I don't eat the burgers and dogs, but it just seems like its always been the typical Memorial day - Labor day weekend thing to do. Cant for get the apple pie too.

I had a friend that used to hit the American Store for peanut butter, maple flavored syrup and popcorn kernels.

The problem is our country is so young. Our recipes come from all over, as do our people.

When I think American food, I think burgers and fries, steaks on the grill, or anything on the grill or smoker. People in other countries grill,, but Americans really do it up as a lifestyle.

Are you doing this for visitors? I'm on tapatalk, so can't see where you are from.

Cajun Gumbo is pretty American, Texas style chili or pulled pork is always a winner.

I had a friend that used to hit the American Store for peanut butter, maple flavored syrup and popcorn kernels.

I had a friend from Brazil who Id periodically send Peanut butter and jelly too, she loved it, it was like a delicacy.

I just think its kinda cool that other places have an American Store, just as we have our ethnic stores here.

Okay, here's a three course meal with all American food:

choice of clam chowder or lettuce and tomato salad with thousand island dressing

chicken fried steak, red beans and rice, and corn on the cob

strawberry shortcake

Just google Swedish Store or Swedish shop and you will see how many there are in your country. If you are living abroad, you will miss food and then there is market for it hence American, Chinese, Swedish, English stores.

Anyway, I just was reminded that I have eaten native American food thanks to a friend, blue corn mush with baked hare.

Since America has grown and changed so rapidly over slightly more than just 2 centuries, maybe you could pick a period of time in our history for your menu.

There's the original inhabitants, the Native Americans. Then the western European influence on the East coast, and the Spanish influence in the South and West. The Scandinavians got in there for a bit before the Europeans, but they left no recipes except hot pot, which could be anything in a casserole, so that's no help. Plus, they left a land of miserable weather and, having the entire continent at their feet, ended up settling in the part of the country where the weather is just as miserable. :wacko:

But seriously, I think if you pick a time frame, or a region, we can be more specific.

Other than that: turkey, venison, corn, beans, oysters, lobsters, and wild rice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom