Any special appetizer plans for Thanksgiving?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My family is pretty big on apps/snacks at any gathering. So far our apps include cheese ball & crackers, veggie & dip tray, and a pickle/olive/nut tray. I still might add some warm spinach dip with chips to the mix.

We are eating late in the day as well so no lunch, just snacks like these:

roasted onion/garlic jam to go on cheese and crackers
Boursin spread for ch/cr
cold boiled shrimp w/ dipping sauce
Rotel dip and chips (a must for HH)
pistachios

Take a large stuffed green olive and mold cream cheese around it then roll it in chopped walnuts. Allow to chill till firm then slice in half.

Thanks, I might give them a try. I'm also making Rachel Ray's Ceasar Deviled Eggs.

We are having pepadews stuffed with strawberry cream cheese.puff pastry circles topped with either goat or swiss cheese then topped with crisp cooked , prosciutto, deviled eggs, a small brie wrapped in puff pastry then topped with warm berries cooked in a raspberry liquor with brown sugar and a little butter, stuffed celery. cream cheese anchovy dip and veggies. that's it I'm full:LOL:
kades

Cream Cheese & Olive Poppers

img_1074555_0_333a94b568c67dc552a34f77ea7b14ed.jpg

Stuffed Mushrooms

img_1074555_1_a9db8d21a0fe2b72225c28a12d15b116.jpg

you've gotta cut it out, msmofet! you've got me eating with my eyes again, and they're about to pop out!!!:)

For big meals, my friends and I have pretty much decided that light on appetizers is better. Who wants to spend all day making a meal that everyone is too full to eat? Maybe it's our ages (my youngest guest this year is in her mid fifties), and there is such a thing as too much. A few years ago (she does Christmas dinner, I do Thanksgiving) I rather jokingly made sixties style stuffed celery sticks. It was such a hit that it's been requested several times. For Christmas I spread half with pimento cheese and the other half with philly mixed with fresh herbs -- red and green. I asked my guests what they wanted to bring for Thanksgiving, and let them know that if I make the apps, they will be a relish/cruditee tray. Everyone loved the thought. More belly room for the mains. All we need is something to nibble while we talk for the hour or two before we sit at the table and dig in. This year I bought various nice pickled vegs from the gourmet shelf.

you've gotta cut it out, msmofet! you've got me eating with my eyes again, and they're about to pop out!!!:)

Just don't have a fork handy when you see MsMofet's pix. It'll get stuck in your monitor screen!!:LOL:

Oh, and keep your drool rag nearby.

Last edited:
Take a large stuffed green olive and mold cream cheese around it then roll it in chopped walnuts. Allow to chill till firm then slice in half.

Is it easier to let the cream cheese come to room temperature? I'm picturing cream cheese sticking to my hands while I'm trying to mold it around the olives. ; )

Is it easier to let the cream cheese come to room temperature? I'm picturing cream cheese sticking to my hands while I'm trying to mold it around the olives. ; )
NO, use cold cream cheese. If it gets soft it is much messier and difficult to work with.

Diabetic pie (no sugar salt or fat)

For our 'thanks giving' food orgy, I made pie out of butternut squash and apples with coriander and fresh grated Ginger....it was very very good until some one brought over several pies made with as much sugar, salt and fat as possible.

I checked my blood sugar after all than, but it was not high! Apparently Metformin works very well.

Back
Top Bottom