Any special appetizer plans for Thanksgiving?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
I would prefer not to. ha ha. I'm already busy enough as it is with the regular dinner.

But, curious to what people serve prior to the Thanksgiving Dinner? Anything?

I seldom serve anything before the feast, and if I do, it's a simple platter of veggies and dip. I have four teen age grands that eat like locusts, and I refuse to serve anything they'd really like before dinner. ;)

My SIL puts out little bowls of nuts, wasabi peas, a cheese/sausage/cracker plate, and fresh grapes. When I would have it it here, I put out a veggie tray.

When I do Thanksgiving, I put out little or nothing for appys. I want people to eat at the table.

On the other hand, when my sister does Thanksgving, you don't need a meal, the appetizers are overwhelming and more than enough to fill everyone to the gills.

I've come to think that hors d's are really like gildiong a lily at any dinner party. I put out a bowl of nuts and that's it.

I I want to do the hors d's they are the menu for the evening. A good variety, everyone has enough food, and I'm not left with a ton of leftovers beause folks ate too much before the meal.

Antipasto platter, cocktail shrimp, veg. crudite. Thats usually it.

I don't serve the thanksgiving meal until 5:30-6:00 - at the regular dinner time. We invite everyone over as soon as they clean up after feeding cows, so everyone shows up at about 11:30, which is lunch time. Lunch on Thanksgiving consists of appetizers. This year I'm making a crab and pesto cheesecake, Chex Mix, and chilled shrimp. My mother in law is bringing the healthy stuff like fruits and veggies. The tradition is the same for Christmas day.

I was originally thinking something easy like nuts/olives/cheese and crackers etc. chex mix sounds good too.

for some reason my mom always, always puts out a platter of shrimp cocktail before any special family dinner. my family has always seen it as a real gourmet thing to have as a treat.

there'll also be a platter of pickles and olives if tradition holds up. just a little something salty and bright to start the appetite.

We usually do a cheeseball with crackers. That's all. Sometimes we'll do veggies and dip but most often just the cheeseball.

Cream Cheese & Olive Poppers

img_1073657_0_333a94b568c67dc552a34f77ea7b14ed.jpg

Stuffed Mushrooms

img_1073657_1_a9db8d21a0fe2b72225c28a12d15b116.jpg

I don't serve the thanksgiving meal until 5:30-6:00 - at the regular dinner time. We invite everyone over as soon as they clean up after feeding cows, so everyone shows up at about 11:30, which is lunch time. Lunch on Thanksgiving consists of appetizers. This year I'm making a crab and pesto cheesecake, Chex Mix, and chilled shrimp. My mother in law is bringing the healthy stuff like fruits and veggies. The tradition is the same for Christmas day.

I am very interested in a crab and pesto cheesecake, recipe Please!!:pig: And Welcome to DC.

PrincessFiona60 said:
I am very interested in a crab and pesto cheesecake, recipe Please!!:pig: And Welcome to DC.

Me too!

Would love yours too, 4Me. It sounds like a fantastic dish we had years ago when we ate at a remote restaurant in St. Martin.

Last edited:
mushroom bruschetta a mix of local specialty mushrooms, sauteed in clarified butter and finished with a glug of Madeira over toasted crusty bread finished with fines herbs.

for some reason my mom always, always puts out a platter of shrimp cocktail before any special family dinner. my family has always seen it as a real gourmet thing to have as a treat.

there'll also be a platter of pickles and olives if tradition holds up. just a little something salty and bright to start the appetite.

Mine did the same thing, BT.

We always had black olives stuffed with cream cheese, green olives, sweet pickles and a veggie tray. I realized later these were made by the kids to keep them busy while Mom did the main dish.

We were only allowed one olive for every ten we stuffed while we were creating.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom