Anyone use Alton Brown's Turkey Recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Merinda

Assistant Cook
I've been wanting to try this for a few years now. The only reason I haven't is that I always buy my turkeys frozen and have been worried about the 8% solution it says they are injected with......worried about the turkey ending up too salty but now after looking at the recipe for what seems like the hundredth time....I realize it actually calls for a 14-16 pound frozen young turkey.

Anyway...so two questions:

1. Has anyone used this recipe with a butterball or any other frozen turkey that is has an injected solution?

2. His recipe cooks to 161 internal breast temp in 2-2 1/2 hours. I understand I will be cooking to an internal temperature of 161 but my turkey is 22 pounds....how can I judge how long this will take with his cooking method? Anyone use this method with a larger bird?

Thanks for any information/experience or thoughts. :chef:

Yes, I have used it several times, and it's a good one. The brine does not make it too salty. Someone else can give you a scientific explanation, but the brine seals in the turkey's own juice.

Thank you for your quick reply. Did you brine a turkey that had been injected with a solution already then?

I'm having second thoughts now after doing more research. A lot of folks out there saying NOT to brine a turkey that has been injected. It's very confusing.

Look for a FRESH Butterball. They're not injected.

I've made the Good Eats recipe for many years. Always fantastic. Do it, you won't be disappointed.

I always do it with a 12-14 pound turkey so I can't help with cooking times for a larger bird.

I have used it a couple of times and it is excellent!

I use frozen birds and yes they have been injected, but the turkeys did not become salty at all, just really juicy and flavorful.

I've used store brand turkeys and Honeysuckle White.

I wouldn't bother with Butterball frozen, you won't benefit from their flavoring solution if you brine, go for a fresh or store brand turkey.

Brining Caution

As much good as brining does, there is one thing you should remember.

After you take the turkey out of the brine, rinse it thoroughly under running water to rinse off excess salt on the surface of the bird. Rinse inside and out.

If you don't, you run the risk of ending up with very salty gravy.

@Andy M. I did a dry brine last year and thought I rinsed it, but put my brother in charge of the gravy, which he took great care in.....only for it to end up being pretty much inedible because of the salt content! Lesson learned.

Since I have already purchased a 22 pound frozen Butterball this year, I have decided not to brine it. : ( But my next turkey will be fresh and I will be trying Alton's brine. Too many good reviews not to give it a try!

I will however use his cooking method and just watch the temperature closely. : )

Thanks for all the replies and tips. Much appreciated!

I just used the recipe two weeks ago! First year doing the bird on my own, so I made a test turkey. They only change I made was omitting candied ginger, I despise ginger. I also used a bird that was already injected. I failed to consider that when I bought the thing, so by then I was like what the heck, let me give it a shot, it is just a test turkey! The bird was fantastic! Not salty at all, nicely browned, and flavored to the bone. I have a pic on here buried somewhere in the general cooking forms.

Also, I can not recommend enough investing in the digital thermometer that Alton uses. One with a probe that can be used in oven. That takes all the guess work out of when your bird is done, you can't go wrong with it! I bought mine at Target for $15ish . Best of luck!

I just used the recipe two weeks ago! First year doing the bird on my own, so I made a test turkey. They only change I made was omitting candied ginger, I despise ginger. I also used a bird that was already injected. I failed to consider that when I bought the thing, so by then I was like what the heck, let me give it a shot, it is just a test turkey! The bird was fantastic! Not salty at all, nicely browned, and flavored to the bone. I have a pic on here buried somewhere in the general cooking forms.

Also, I can not recommend enough investing in the digital thermometer that Alton uses. One with a probe that can be used in oven. That takes all the guess work out of when your bird is done, you can't go wrong with it! I bought mine at Target for $15ish . Best of luck!

Well...now you have me reconsidering again! I've used dry brining methods on pre-injected turkeys in the past and they were never to salty....just more moist (only negative was last year's when the drippings were way too salty to make gravy with).

What to do, what to do. Butterball says "brining is not necessary but it won't hurt anything either" their response to an e-mail asking the question about brining an injected turkey. They even sent a recipe for brine.

Yes I plan on picking up the digital probe thermometer this weekend. Have been wanting one for a couple of years now. Thanks for sharing your experience!:)

Well...now you have me reconsidering again! I've used dry brining methods on pre-injected turkeys in the past and they were never to salty....just more moist (only negative was last year's when the drippings were way too salty to make gravy with).

What to do, what to do. Butterball says "brining is not necessary but it won't hurt anything either" their response to an e-mail asking the question about brining an injected turkey. They even sent a recipe for brine.

Yes I plan on picking up the digital probe thermometer this weekend. Have been wanting one for a couple of years now. Thanks for sharing your experience!:)

I have brined a frozen Butterball even though it had been injected with a solution containing salt. It was fine and not overly salty.

I'm doing a 21 lb. frozen Butterball using this method. As per Andy's suggestion, will use 1 tsp each of ground ginger and allspice. Any other tips? Thanks!

I'm using Alton's brining/cooking method for the first time this year too. I'm using a 13 lb. thawed organic turkey. I'm very excited! I bought the digital probe thermometer a couple days ago and just procured a food-safe bucket from the bakery dept at my grocer about an hour ago. It's all falling into place... now if the turkey would thaw already I'd be feeling pretty good about it... but that will probably be another post altogether if I can't get a handle on the panic I'm experiencing at the moment lol.

I'm going to take the brining bag suggestions and line a cooler with that. Hoping the drippings won't be too salty for good gravy. Thanks for sharing!

I'm going to take the brining bag suggestions and line a cooler with that. Hoping the drippings won't be too salty for good gravy. Thanks for sharing!

When you take the turkey out of the brine, rinse the it thoroughly under running water inside and out.

I can't believe a 14 lb turkey can really be done in this short amount of time. I saw his video and he said 1/2 hour on 500 degrees and the rest on 350 degrees. I think he said total time 2 hours which includes the 1/2 hour on 500. Than the print out says 2 to 2 1/2 hours total time, but still.

I'm using Alton's brining/cooking method for the first time this year too. I'm using a 13 lb. thawed organic turkey. I'm very excited! I bought the digital probe thermometer a couple days ago and just procured a food-safe bucket from the bakery dept at my grocer about an hour ago. It's all falling into place... now if the turkey would thaw already I'd be feeling pretty good about it... but that will probably be another post altogether if I can't get a handle on the panic I'm experiencing at the moment lol.

Don't fret too much, as long as it is thawed enough to get the bag of stuff out f the cavity it will finish thawing in the brine. Once in the brine it will be completely thawed within a couple of hours. If the bag of stuff is stuck in there frozen, just run cool water out of the faucet into the cavity and within a few minutes, it should thaw enough to get it out.

Back
Top Bottom