Are You Passing Out Candy On Halloween?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
I sure am!

I LOVE Halloween,
it’s my favorite next to Christmas and Thanksgiving…
What’s better than food, candy AND adult beverages? (I was considering offering a special drink for Mom & Dad this year ;))

I was reading recently about a new project

https://www.foodallergy.org/education-awareness/teal-pumpkin-project

We surely will be participating in this!

I have a Teal Colored Pumpkin out front of our home along with the regulation squash to indicate that we will be handing out Allergy-free and Nut-ful candies to all!

In addition, I always have a cooler full of Mini Water Bottles for those thirsty Trick-O-Treaters… it’s hard work out there dontcha know!

How will you be Trick-O-Treating this year?

Nobody door-to-door trick-or-treats anymore, at least in my area. They all go to the mall. I'd be stuck with a bunch of candy I don't need to eat.

I am usually in Vegas on Halloween, at the SEMA Show. I couldn't make it this year. I may go out to a bar and look at the adults who dress up. :LOL:

CD

Yes, under duress.

You and Himself would make a lovely couple, K-Girl. He LOVES handing the stuff out! I guess I'm so over it from all the years I did it back home, being rescued in the last 15 minutes when he would finally get home from work. At least we knew a lot of the kids that came around in the old neighborhood, and were pretty sure most of them were from our rather large development. Now? We probably have less than two dozen kids on our street of 30 houses that are too young to drive - and probably only a dozen 10 or younger. However, we Himself will be passing out the treats, all 580 items - a mix of chocolate candies like M&Ms and Snickers, etc; candy kids love (I don't know why) like Nerds and Laffy Taffy; and mini bags of Snyders pretzels (always a big hit and the first to go). A neighbor up the street has done a headcount each year, then posts the number on Facebook. I'll check back with you when he checks in with the final tally.

Personally, I'd rather turn all the lights out and use the $40 (yes, $40) for a nice dinner at O'Connor's. I get my way about once every five years. :LOL:

Last year was our FIRST since moving away from Hawaii to do Halloween ... we had maybe 50-75 kids and I was GIDDY!!
trick o treat 2017.jpg
I love it!
When we lived in Kaneohe and I was "too old' I would 'Treat-o-treat for Unicef' in a costume that I always made.
In our previous neighborhood, no kids ... I was so sad!
Now, I can't wait for all the kiddos !!!

...I do always give to the Salvation Army when they are singing carols in the town shopping precincts...
I give to Salvation Army, too. My Dad said they were the one group that really helped the servicemen during WWII, even more than the Red Cross liked to brag about how much they did. He said no matter how small an amount, I should never pass a bell ringer without putting a little something in the red kettle. As soon as they show up in front of stores, I fold up a bunch of singles and slip them into a quick-access part of my purse. Then, when I'm ready to leave the car, I put a folded dollar into the palm of my hand inside my glove, then slip the glove off and quickly slid the dollar into the slot before my hand gets chapped! (My skin chaps when the temps drop below 50 degrees F)

Nope, not part of my tradition, how ever we send Samhain card to relatives in Scotland and sometimes they send back candy. I also so want to go to Stonehaven fireballs festival.

Last edited:
We did in the past, but seems like less and less kids come around each year. We always buy a small stash as not to disappoint those who come by, but maybe 3 or 4 groups come by ,and thats it.

We live at the end of a dead end street, with no cut through to any other blocks. Many times, the kids get halfway down our block and dont want to go to the end , just to have to walk all the way back, so they avoid our block all together. Being the last house, they rarely make it. Our block as also gotten older, few little kids on the block ,as they have all grown up. In addition, the school runs something to make it a more safe environment for kids to do their thing, reducing the risks that may come with walking the streets . After school ends, many kids have after school activities, its getting darker earlier, so its usually dark by the time they hit the streets. Its not like back in the day, when many moms stayed home and someone was around to take kids all day, and be able to dispense the candy all day. With moms tackling the work force, its not uncommon for no one to really be home until 5 or 6 pm ( or later depending on the occupation).

Sadly, by me, its just not the same as it used to be. I remember hurrying home from school so I could go out with my friends . Wed be out til 9pm ( on weekends later) and come home with bags, or pillow cases stuffed to the top with candy. We were always excited when we got to the house that was giving the full sized candy bars ( 3 musketeers, snickers or milky ways), and very disappointed with the houses that gave those crapy sesame/ honey candies or those candy dots that the paper always stuck to the back. We also brought 2 or three different masks, so when we did come across a house giving good stuff, we'd go back several times :) changing our masks so they didnt catch on to us.

So, the short answer is Yes, we do provide. But, not with much takers.

There aren't any kids in our community for Halloween. We used to do it up big time in our old place. Some of the little kids were too scared to come into our yard. We were known as "The Halloween House" back then. Just about all the decorations were homemade. The "Flying Crank Ghost" was a big hit.

We don't the candy thing.. Love the little kids but the teeny boppers are just a pain..

We used to go to an early movie and stop for dessert afterwards...

Now, in this 55+ village, I doubt we will have anyone at the door..

Ross

To celebrate Marijuana becoming legalized in Canada on Oct 17, I am going to give out these cute little edibles..;)

Attachments

• former-cops-get-caught-stealing-weed-candy.jpg
    former-cops-get-caught-stealing-weed-candy.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 110
We did in the past, but seems like less and less kids come around each year. We always buy a small stash as not to disappoint those who come by, but maybe 3 or 4 groups come by ,and thats it.

We live at the end of a dead end street, with no cut through to any other blocks. Many times, the kids get halfway down our block and dont want to go to the end , just to have to walk all the way back, so they avoid our block all together. Being the last house, they rarely make it. Our block as also gotten older, few little kids on the block ,as they have all grown up. In addition, the school runs something to make it a more safe environment for kids to do their thing, reducing the risks that may come with walking the streets . After school ends, many kids have after school activities, its getting darker earlier, so its usually dark by the time they hit the streets. Its not like back in the day, when many moms stayed home and someone was around to take kids all day, and be able to dispense the candy all day. With moms tackling the work force, its not uncommon for no one to really be home until 5 or 6 pm ( or later depending on the occupation).

Sadly, by me, its just not the same as it used to be. I remember hurrying home from school so I could go out with my friends . Wed be out til 9pm ( on weekends later) and come home with bags, or pillow cases stuffed to the top with candy. We were always excited when we got to the house that was giving the full sized candy bars ( 3 musketeers, snickers or milky ways), and very disappointed with the houses that gave those crapy sesame/ honey candies or those candy dots that the paper always stuck to the back. We also brought 2 or three different masks, so when we did come across a house giving good stuff, we'd go back several times :) changing our masks so they didnt catch on to us.

So, the short answer is Yes, we do provide. But, not with much takers.
I think parents are less inclined to allow it these days - The "Nasty Man" syndrome, I suppose, and perhaps parents are disinclined to traipse round with a herd of children when they've both been at work all day.

You know you can actually buy candy now that has the beneficial chemicals of MJ in it, but not the chemicals that get you high. Even though technically it's still illegal in states that haven't legalized MJ, most are letting the candy slide. It's CBD candy. There was an article about it in one of the food mags in the last few months.

You know you can actually buy candy now that has the beneficial chemicals of MJ in it, but not the chemicals that get you high. Even though technically it's still illegal in states that haven't legalized MJ, most are letting the candy slide. It's CBD candy. There was an article about it in one of the food mags in the last few months.
Yes..they are very effective for pain relief, I am told..I know people who have been using home made tincture for years now..

Back
Top Bottom