Asked my friends about favorites, would like to plan a three-course-or-so meal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christer

Assistant Cook
Hi, I'm new, and I've registered to post this thread. I hope that sort of thing is okay.

I've moved twice in a month, and feel I really should give something back to my good friends and family members who helped me carry and drive my stuff. So I've asked around to see what their favorite meals are, and I got some more or less diverse answers:

• Tex-mex taco-related stuff that's spicy and has cheese
  • Tasty tacos
  • Lasagna
  • Something Greek or Indian
  • Something with lamb
Because of the diversity, I'm thinking three courses, and I'm also thinking that it will be difficult to make it all hang together. Because I'm not sure this does:

Appetizer: Tiny Raspeballs on sticks, with lamb in them
Main: Tacos
Dessert: "Something Greek or Indian"

..and there's no lasagna. I've never done something like this before, so please help :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Christar :) Welcome to DC! Sure you won't leave the forum after this post, it's too addictive lol!

I would suggest you start with a Mezze platter with a mix of nibbles from different cuisines.
Maybe add some cheesy nachos with Greek and Indian dips. Some Baba Ghanoush (aubergine dip) and maybe some Indian sambals. Some cold cuts like pastrami, salami and hams. Veggie sticks like cucumber, celery, carrot etc. And perhaps some sliced baguettes and good marinated olives.

You could go for a main like Moussaka or Pastitsio, both are similar to lasagna but with Greek flavouring.

You could perhaps end the meal with with simple fresh fruit like berries or fresh soft fruits served with thick Greek yogurt drizzled with honey and sprinkled with nuts. Or just buy a variety of mini sweet pastries for all to nibble on.

What are raspeballs?

To be honest with you, the last time I was in your position I just made a Mex buffet. But it was a lot of people so the buffet made a lot of sense. I put out flour tortillas, "taco shells", tortilla chips, ground beef taco meat, shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, a vase full of cilantro, several kinds of salsas, shredded cheese, refried beans, chili, etc. Can't remember what I did for desert. The buffet worked well because fussy eaters, vegetarians, restricted dieters could pick & choose. One man told me he didn't eat that (expletive deleted) stuff (no, he didn't say stuff) so I handed him a loaf of bread and told him there was baloney in the fridge. He took two slices of bread and heaped all the Mex ingredients on it. To each his own. but it worked well.

Welcome to DC; you'll find it addictive.

Howdy, Christer!
Welcome to D.C.!
I suspect that you are of Scandinavian descent, I am not certain exactly what raspeballs are either, but it sounds Scandinavian and your name is also a clue.
Claire's idea of a buffet sounds like the way to go. I also like Snip's idea about dips and sauces of various origins. You can be as extravagant as you desire.
Hmmm.....just the thought of all this is makin' me hungry.
My belly is rubbing a blister on my backbone as I type!!
Again, welcome to D.C.!!

Thanks for the welcomes, and the great replies. I am Norwegian, like you've pretty much guessed :)

A buffet sounds like a lot of work, and there'll really just be the seven of us.

I love the idea of serving Moussaka or Pastitsio as a Greek version of Lasagna – with lamb, that's three for one :mrgreen:

Which leaves taco and raspeball.

Because raspeball was actually one of the favorites, i had it listed as a link to wikipedia, which I assume is why it got removed. From wikipedia:

Raspeball, also known in some areas as klubb, kumle or kumpe, is a potato dumpling, a traditional Norwegian dish. It consists of grated potatoes, where typically half is pre-cooked and half is raw, salt and various kinds of flour, and is in many recipes also filled with bits of salted lamb or pork. They are often served with bacon, sausages, melted butter and/or mashed or cooked rutabaga, and, in some parts of the country, with sour cream, sugar or syrup.

Some pictures

Now, the guy who requested it also told me he eats it a lot, so a twist on it, maybe some other sort of potato dumpling, could be a good option?

Would the strong tex-mex flavours be a bit much against the Moussaka or Pastitsio? I really don't know myself. I am holding another (similarly karma-related) party, where the two taco enthusiast are going to attend – I could have the tex-mex then instead, if that makes it easier.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom