"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Old 08-22-2005, 05:15 PM   #11
Head Chef
Two ideas:

One, how about kabobs, beef or lamb. Can serve with hummus and perhaps falafel.

If you have access to a Middle Eastern food store can poke about and maybe find beef/lamb sausages such as sojuk or other items.

Second, how about muffaletta sandwiches. Serve with a shrimp boil with a spicy dipping sauce. Have a plate of pickled okra and some other appetizer like plates.

Just an idea, hope this helps.

auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 12:37 AM   #12
Master Chef
Originally Posted by amber
How about a mexican theme? Enchilada's are great, you can bake a large pan full of them, with whatever stuffings you like, top them with some spicy salsa ( I like Newmans, hot), and then add cheese on top and bake. Serve it with some spicy rice, and refried beans. Anyone know how to make Marjarita's? You could ask some of the couples to be in charge of making the drinks while you do the cooking. Maybe make a nacho platter too as an appetizer.

I like amber's idea of having Mexican food. It is easy and usually a great hit with everyone. I have a great recipe for a layered bean dip for an appetizer. Depending on how fancy you want to get having a taco bar is great fun. Just put out all the ingredients for tacos and have everyone make their own. At the bar you could have: onions, cheese, 2-3 kinds of salsa, olives, sour cream, guacamole, green chilies, corn and flour tortillas, etc. Serve with refried beans and rice as amber suggested.

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 01:05 AM   #13
Traveling Welcome Wagon
The simplest thing in the world to make, and very "fancy" tasting is what my family calls drunk chicken. You simply marinate chicken (whole chickens or parts--also Cornish game hens work) in sherry (not cooking sherry--too salty). Then put in baking dish, sprinkle with parsley, cover and bake (baking time will depend on if you use whole chickens, Cornish game hens, or chicken parts). Remove cover (I usually use foil) for last 15 minutes or so to allow it to brown.

Serve with sour cream and chive mashed potatoes (instead of using milk and butter, mash with sour cream and chives--or the green part of green onions, chopped fine). After mashing, put into a casserole dish sprayed with PAM. Bake, uncovered, about 20 minutes until heated through.

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 01:21 AM   #14
Master Chef
Originally Posted by jemo
... and something not too common? Chicken is good when it's good but hard to make impressive. None of us eat pork. Fish has always been unimpressive....
Well - not knowing WHERE in the USA you live it's hard to guess what might be "common" where you live - or even what ingredients might be commonly available.

Are you looking for a casual menu or something a little more formal?

A fish fry with fried catfish, hush puppies and coleslaw is one idea .... a big pot of shrimp gumbo, crawfish etoufee or jambalaya served over rice with a side of cornbread is another .... you've taken a couse in Asian cooking ... put those lessons to use and make a meal of hot-n-sour or egg-drop soup and sweet-n-sour chicken?

I like auntdot's idea ... lamb kabobs - served with saffron rice, pita bread and plenty of hummus or baba ganoush. You can grill the kabobs just shy of being done ... park them on a baking sheet in the oven to keep them warm.

Of course, some chunked up chuck roasts, red wine, onions and garlic .... simmered for a couple of hours ... finished off with some butter and sour cream and sauteed mushroom ... served over egg noodles is tasty, too.

What you can prepare is only limited by your imagination, equipment, and budget.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 03:51 AM   #15
Head Chef
It doesn't have to be fancy to be good!

I vote for grilling steaks or salmon; both are virtually impossible to screw up. Or chicken breasts... or whatever! Make some salads with exotic greens and dress them up with yummy extras from your local farmer's market. Cut up fruit!! Peaches, necturines, grapes, apples, kiwis, figs, berries, and whatever else smells sweet at the store. Bake some brownies! Splurge on some great cheese and a couple boxes of crackers. Spike a watermelon with some decadent vodka. Heap up a bowl of chips and serve it with some homemade pico de gallo! Bake some potatoes and let everyone garnish as they please.

Save tricky for your next party or two, when you feel more comfortable. =)

Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:36 AM   #16
Assistant Cook
Sorry for taking so long to reply (work is such a nuisance).

Thanks everyone. Lots of good ideas. Michael, I'm in the Dallas, TX area like yourself so Mexican food probably wouldn't be too much of a hit, although it is easy to make and tastes good. I like the idea of some sort of cajun dishes like etouffee or gumbo. I think those would taste great and it might be hard to mess up. Some sort of fish with a creamy, rich sauce with more minced fish or crab would sound great too. Do any of you have any recipes in this category? What kind of fish do you suggest?

About the clam chowder recipe - please send for another occassion!

Thanks again.
jemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 12:39 PM   #17
Assistant Cook
Hey Jemo,

One mediocre cook to another, my "simple salmon" hasn't missed yet. For a party your size it might be a little pricey, but it's easy and always well liked.

-Get yourself enough steak sized salmon fillets for everyone.
-Slice up some lemons (one half lemon per fillet)
-Place each fillet on a sheet of foil.
-Put a little less than a tablespoon of dill (the fine stuff) on each fillet then place the lemon slices over top.
-Wrap the foils around the fillets and dump 'em all on the BBQ.
-Check them periodically but you'll know they're done when they've changed to a more pastel pink-orange. Jab a fork in and twist and if it "flakes" you're done.

For the side, chop up some mushrooms and steam them with some rice. I've always found mushroom flavor compliments salmon nicely.

I'd go with fish because with that # of people innevitably there are one or two with a food taboo or allergy which usually revolves around red or unkocher meats.
Medwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 01:11 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
Loads of good ideas here. Etouffe and gumbo will involve making a roux - are you up to that? And lots of slicing and dicing of veggies - want to do that?

Easier and faster would be to buy some good quality jarred Alfredo sauce, heat it up with some nice crabmeat or shrimp, maybe add some chopped greeen onions, and pour that over egg noodles.

Quiches are easy too.
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 02:41 PM   #19
Master Chef
Etoufee and gumbo are pretty easy to screw up, actually.

Jambalaya is easier.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 05:47 PM   #20
Executive Chef
there are lots of simple and nice recipes out there...you'll find some here and some at foodtv and others at other recipe sites. But If you are not comfortable in the kitchen, and really don't want to try something new with guests coming over, make no appologies for your cooking. Do something you are comfortable...if that is spaghetti with ground beef and jarred red sauce...great. If it's tuna noodle helper from a box...great. The important thing is that you are sharing a meal with friends. Your hospitality makes it an occasion.

most important things: have enough , make sure all can eat it (know your guests needs), and have a good time. I have friends who ALWAYS order out 3 or 4 kinds of pizza, or make a chinese buffet at home for that very reason.

Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote