"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 08-24-2005, 10:20 PM   #21
Traveling Welcome Wagon

You could do something where everyone puts their food together their own way, like a baked potato bar, tostada bar, or salad bar. Something else that is always fun when you have a group that size is a cookout. Just make some potato salad, macaroni salad, and baked beans, and have a choice of meats (and possibly corn on the cob or other vegetables) to grill.

Barbara

Old 08-25-2005, 03:23 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Did I really say egg noodles for the Alfredo/crab dish? Double duh. Make that some nice skinny pasta.

Old 08-25-2005, 05:08 PM   #23
Head Chef

I have discovered with the slow cooker/crockpot its easy and successful every time. There are some great recipes under Slow cooker here, have a look at them. The short ribs were great.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:19 PM   #24
Hospitality Queen

Here's a no-fail entree that you can make very far in advance and freeze. It always looks like you went to a lot of trouble, and on the day of your dinner party all you have to do is throw it in the oven (leaving more time for your guests!)

Freezer Meals?
Old 08-26-2005, 08:45 AM   #25
Assistant Cook

Folks,

Thanks so much for all of the replies. I've decided I'm going to crank up the smoker and try to fill it with salmon. The post from Medwayman made it sound like it's pretty easy and salmon doesn't take too long to cook and it's relatively cheap for seafood. Some questions though....

If I smoke it, would the dill seasoning complement that smokish flavor or should I use something else?

What side dishes complement smoked salmon?

Jemo
Old 08-28-2005, 07:42 AM   #26
Master Chef

I like both Ishbel and Ambers' ideas. I love to cook, and do so for dinner parties quite often .... but, I'll confess, I take the easy way out mostly, so that I can enjoy my company. A taco buffet is something most love, and is easy to do.

My favorite, easy, company dinner is take birds (can be anything from cornish game hens to a small turkey), whole. Rinse them, then fill the cavity with a pierced lemon (half a lemon if game hens, two for a turkey) and an entire head of garlic (half if game hens). Don't need to peel the garlic. Bake (instructions available anywhere). The result is elegant and aromatic. You can serve with any starch (I actually like couscous with this, and you don't get any easier than that, but any potato, pasta, or rice dish would go as well). Any non-starchy salad (this time of year, simple sliced tomatoes and/or cucumbers). I always cheat and either buy desert, or have fruit and cheese (definitely NOT a baker!!), or even have a guest bring desert, or simply vanilla ice cream with a great liquer poured over.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:22 PM   #27
Sous Chef

I see that you want to serve about 10-12 people, but what about broiled steaks served with an herb butter? It would be expenseive, but you could buy the meat when it is on sale and freeze until you need it. I believe someone suggested buying part of the meal, such as dessert. Also, is it necessary to have all the couples over at the same time? It would be less stressful, at least to me, not to have extremely large quantities to prepare for one meal.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:06 PM   #28
Senior Cook

How about a dillicious sauce to go over the salmon or on the side? Use a cup of sour cream, 1/4 cup mayo, 1 TBSP horseradish, 2 TBLSP dillweed, a wee squirt of lemon and 1/2 TSP sugar. This is really great on a steak or a baked potato, too.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:56 PM   #29
Hospitality Queen

Cyberchef, that sounds really good!
Old 10-10-2005, 05:32 PM   #30
Master Chef

Now that we're getting colder weather, different kinds of chili are a great party food. At my two big annual parties I fix either Cincinatti chili or My Cousin's New Mexico Green Chili Stew. They are both totally unusual to most people around here, but not so exotic that they won't eat them. I ask everyone who cares to to bring sides, puupuus, and deserts, and it is always a hit.