"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 08-14-2013, 07:17 AM   #81
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Got a question for you bakechef. With my friends John and Billy, Billy gleefully calls himself the wife in the marriage. Are one of you going to be the wife? Or are you going to hunt me down to smack me for asking?
See now that's a complicated question. I often refer to him as "the Mrs.". He's the more flamboyant one, but then he has a lot of straight guy traits. He hogs the remote, leaves clean dishes on the counter because he claims to not know where they go, he can only cook enough to keep himself alive, he has the more "butch" job. At work I'm a cake decorator, I do all of the cooking at home, but on the flip side, at home I'm the handyman, the tech geek, and I come off as "straight" to people when I first meet them.

It's interesting once you become part of the gay community and realize just how different it is than the way we are portrayed on TV and in movies. One of my best friends we call "straight Matt", he is a football junkie, he doesn't dress all that well, he can't decorate AT ALL, and he isn't neat. One of the local professional drag queens drives a Ford F-250 (the big one) truck, it's funny seeing a big truck roll up with someone with even bigger hair!

No I don't take offence at this at all. There are roles to play in a relationship, so many are curious how that fits in a gay relationship! Heck those roles are changing in straight relationships more than ever.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #82
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Sounds lovely!

(shhh, we may have to find the car to decorate it, don't tell Bakechef)
"lol" you'll never find it! Heck I don't even know what it will look like since it will be a rental!

Old 08-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #83
Everymom

I'm chuckling about "straight guy" traits. One of my straight friends is the biggest neat freak EVER and is a far better decorator than all but one of the women I know. One of our friends tells me that they both have husbands.

Someday soon bakechef, your marriage will be recognized everywhere. Come on up to Canada. Alberta is about as rednecked as you can get and we're starting to see the light. Seems to me that when something is right, it will eventually be recognized.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #84
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
.....No I don't take offence at this at all. There are roles to play in a relationship, so many are curious how that fits in a gay relationship! Heck those roles are changing in straight relationships more than ever.
Thanks for such a fun and complete answer! And about your quote above? At any party we throw you'll find me in the kitchen with the guys ('cuz in our neighborhood that's where the beers are lined up in the 'fridge) talking sports with them. Himself tolerates my vice, his only concession to sports is following his old college football team. We're just all glad your on the DC team.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #85
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterychef View Post
Congratulations to the both of you Bakechef. I couldn't think of a better place to honeymoon than ''Arcadia National'' or ''Bar Harbor''. Have fun and eat plenty of ''Lobstah''
Finally someone who can spell Lobstah correctly. eryah!
Old 08-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #86
Chef Extraordinaire

When my BIL was starting his own business, he couldn't afford a paid helper. Hubby stayed home with the kids and I went to work with the BIL. I learned how to point a chimney, install a new furnace, electrical work, plastering, wallpapering, etc. Hubby was the child caregiver and cook. Hubby had been seriously injured at work, so it was a great arrangement all around. Anytime hubby had a medical appointment, my sister watched all the kids.

BC, a quick story. Around 14 y.o. I was into romance magazines. There was a story that had a word in it that I fell in love with. Didn't understand the story at all. But I loved that "word." So I went around telling everyone who asked me what I wanted for a career, that I wanted to be a "Lesbian." Finally someone told me what it meant. I still didn't understand but I did realize that in the 50's, it was not the best word to be bantering around. It was almost equivalent to being a street drug addict. How far we have come and thankfully so.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #87
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Before I leave for vacation, I need to stock up the store's freezer with decorated cakes.

96, ninety six is the number of cakes that I decorated today. In the interest of full disclosure, I iced them yesterday and decorated them today. I'm about 2/3 finished.

I'm pooped!

Old 08-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #88
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Before I leave for vacation, I need to stock up the store's freezer with decorated cakes.

96, ninety six is the number of cakes that I decorated today. In the interest of full disclosure, I iced them yesterday and decorated them today. I'm about 2/3 finished.

I'm pooped!
Oh good lord, that's a LOT of cakes! I'd be so sick of cake by now.....
Old 08-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #89
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
96 Cakes! I'm not surprised you are pooped.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:56 PM   #90
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Got something new for cooking off the registry. I've been wanting a new roaster for a while! A good friend from MA sent it

Tags
chef