Baptisim Picnic Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
Sofie's going to be baptized at the end of August and DH and I are having a "discussion":rolleyes: about what to do for food. We'll be having about 12 family members over after the service. As many of you know from my other posts, Sof keeps me really busy and I rarely have time to do much in-depth cooking these days. I'd like to come up with something easy that I can start preparing a couple days ahead--It'll be early lunch time so it can be light foods, nothing too heavy or much. DH says I should just relax and enjoy the day and not worry about all of that. He wants to just get some nice deli platters, fruit trays, that sort of thing from Costco (we've had them before and they are quite good). He says I have an amazing talent for making what could be simple way too difficult:LOL: (he's right!). For some reason, I feel that since we're hosting I should cook.

What do you all think? Should I just go along with hubby on this one or do you have any ideas of menus for me?

My vote is to go along with hubby. If you have used those platters before and liked them then spent your time with Sophie instead of cooking.

Congrats to you and your family PAB :)

"For some reason, I feel that since we're hosting I should cook." :rolleyes: IF, you can get past that feeling (which I cannot either...:wacko: ) I'd say go for the costco things.

But if you can't - how about some

- wraps - can be done ahead
- an antipasto - big bowl of mushrooms, artichokes, kalamatas, feta, provolone, tomatoes (add at last minute) tossed with an olive oil/Balsamic vinaigrette. can do a day or two ahead.
- a coleslaw - two days ahead, shred the cabbage, prep the green onions, make the dressing - toss at the last minute with some currants and/or pineapple.
-tortellini salad - couple days ahead, just add little more dressing to moisen up

ANTIPASTO TORTELLINI SALAD

4 16 oz. packages cheese tortellini -- fresh or frozen
1 lb. Salami -- chopped, ~1 cup
1 lb. provolone cheese -- cut into 2X1/4X1/4" trips
4 11 oz. cans whole kernel corn
4 9 oz. packages frozen spinach -- thawed, squeezed to drain
4 6 oz. jars marinated artichoke heart -- drained, chopped
4 6 oz. cans ripe olives -- pitted, drained, sliced (~1 1/2 cups)
~4 1/2 cups Creamy Italian Salad Dressing
4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
8 ounces Parmesan cheese -- grated
7 1/2 oz. jar diced pimientos -- drained

Cook tortellini to desired doneness. Drain; rinse w/cold water.
In a very large bowl, combine tortellini with salami, provolone, corn, spinach, artichoke hearts & 1 cup of the olives.
In a small bowl, combine dressing, Dijon & 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese; blend well.
Pour dressing over salad; toss gently.
Top w/remaining olives and Parmesan cheese.
Cover; refrigerate 1-2 hours to blend flavors. (or a day or so ahead, just add more dressing to moisten)
Just before serving, garnish w/pimientos and other garnishes.

Serving Ideas : This is a wonderful buffet dish.

- mini sandwiches - dinner rolls with cold roast beef, ham, etc with the condiments in bowls couple days ahead.

or go to costco, come home and put your feet up with a glass of champagne to toast your little one!!:chef:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go with hubby!

If you really want to cook you could always make a salad or dessert to go along with the costco food.

I understand the 'need' to cook.:)

I would make 2 Stradas, one cheese and maybe one mushroom. They can sit in the frig for a day or so, no last minute cooking.

I'd fry some sausage and bacon, put it in the frig and heat it up just before serving time.

This can be rounded out by a nice fruit salad (that I would order since it really looks nice done fresh and you want to relax with the guests).

Some cinnamon rolls would be nice also. I would buy those from the bakery.

Back
Top Bottom