"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2017, 01:50 PM   #21
Executive Chef

We're going to have 3, unless one of the little urchins brings a friend. Our street is too far away from any other neighborhood with kids to make it worth the effort. Mrs. T buys what she likes, making sure there is enough in case we have a run (which has never happened).

tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:29 PM   #22
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT

@JONOBRANDS
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:34 PM   #23
Executive Chef

I briefly lived in a neighborhood in which these should have been passed out...

Ross
Old 10-13-2017, 05:38 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Tatt, that is purely evil genius! I am going to try that, lol.

We used to get hundreds of kids every year in our old neighborhood, but now we get less than 2 dozen in our new house.

So, I think I'll go with full sized Snickers and Hershey chocolate bars this year. I mean, if the kids are going to walk up and down each cul-de-sac just to hit up 7 or 8 homes (about a half mile round trip), they deserve the good stuff.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:07 PM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post

Did you see how many kids WE get each year? I'd have to take a second mortga...well, a mortgage, since we've paid off our house. Of all those kids who will show up at our door this year, we will know exactly three. The three 11-and-under who live across the street. Every other little kid will be from some other neighborhood since all the kids who were little when we all first moved here have grown up, some are in college, and a couple have already gotten married! Since we know the kids from across the street, I'll have goodie bags made up just for them.
We used to map out the neighborhood so we could cover the most ground in the least amount of time without having to go down a street twice. And no neighborhood was off limits. Seriously, it's a conspiracy out there. Kids would meet and swap info about who had the best candy and who to avoid. I also remember being out way after dark and when my friends and I got tired, we would just sit on someone's front lawn and sample a few of the night's loot.

Way after dark then was probably a half hour after the sun set.

Here's the dog. I actually used to take some of my coworkers' kids out if they had to work the evening shift. It was fun. Halloween is my favorite holiday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crash8.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	28161  

------------------------
I cook because my pots and pans are the closest thing to a chemistry experiment that I have. So far I haven't blown up the kitchen!
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:28 PM   #26
Master Chef

I'm loving the pics y'all have posted! My daughter and son-in-law are all up into Halloween too, and throw a huge party every year. They might have outdone themselves last year - they built a pirate ship out on his parents acreage, rented a flat bed, and towed it to their front yard for the party.

Steve's original sketch

Name:	Halloween 12.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	28165

Starting the build with his 'helpers'

Name:	Halloween 5.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	28166

Steve scrounged an old piece of foam and carved the 2' skull for the front of the ship

Name:	Halloween 11.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	28167

The captain of the ship. Mostly thrift shop finds, some homemade - my daughter and her MIL sewed his clothes

Name:	Halloween 13.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	28168

Daughter carved the name of the Pirate ship out of old foam, painted it, and nailed it to the front of the 'ship'

Name:	Halloween 1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	28169
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Halloween 4.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	28170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Halloween 3.jpg
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	28171  

Old 10-15-2017, 10:38 PM   #27
Master Chef

More guests, OMGosh...their house is packed this time of year and everyone has a great time

Name:	Halloween.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	28172

More hand painted signs in the front yard

Name:	Halloween 8.jpg
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	28173

Last but not least, The Lovely Ladies are always dressed up in their very best for the occasion. (also thrift shop and flea market finds!)

Name:	Halloween 7.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	28174
Old 10-15-2017, 11:19 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Wow, Cheryl, that's incredible!!! Those will all be some great memories for all of those kids when they grow up.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:28 AM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
Wow, Cheryl, that's incredible!!! Those will all be some great memories for all of those kids when they grow up.
Thanks, Bucky! It's already gone into the next generation.

My daughter married into such a fun family . Decades ago, my son-in-law, his 3 siblings, and his parents agreed on one major celebration/get together per year for each family member to host. My SIL happens to have Halloween. You ought to see Christmas and Thanksgiving.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:05 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

When you live in a city neighborhood, a kid could go home with a shopping bag full of goodies. As my kids did for a couple of years. Then came the razor blades, needles, etc. stuck into the candy. The next year the police department asked the parents to keep their kids from TandT. The city threw a party in the afternoon for the youngest ones and then another one later in the early evening at the local movie theatre. It went with cartoons, short movies including Charlie Brown and live entertainment. They left with a small bag of goodies. That happened three years in a row until the city was certain the danger had passed. They found and arrested the person responsible for the razor blades, etc.

A lot of kids enjoyed doing Halloween that way. And some were upset that it had come to an end. Including my kids.

Also I remember my kids when were allowed to go to school on Halloween wearing their costumes minus their masks. They had a party at school also. Parents provided baked goodies. Mostly cupcakes. Some sent bags of candy. Enough for the whole class. I was one of the latter. I had three kids in the same school. I would have had to start baking a week ahead.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:21 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Cheryl, those are worthy of being Disney props! Himself called them "amazing", and I agree. BTW, if Steve ever gets tired of fire-fighting, he just might want to get a job with Disney. A friend of our niece (the mosaic artist) used to work for Disney Cruises as a sets and props mistress. She really enjoyed it, but then found the same job with Cirque so that she didn't have to be away at sea for, I think, up to 10 days at a time. Those people have to be creative when first coming up with designs, then with maintaining them as they start to show wear and tear. Chewing gum under the enamel paint, anyone?

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:51 AM   #32
Master Chef

Thanks, CG! Love the stories of your niece and her friend who got to go on the cruises! My SIL is all up into Disney - they're only about an hour away. OMG...I'll have to find the link of the Main Street Disneyland Piano Player, they got him to come for one of their Halloween parties. It was a blast!

Could you please re-post niece's mosaic webpage link for me so I could save it this time?
Old 10-18-2017, 02:10 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

No problem, Cheryl! Her website is http://www.cheriebosela.com/allmosaics.html

You could also follow her mosaic work on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/CherieBosela.MixedMediaArtist

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:18 AM   #34
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I got a bag of candy Shrek and I will never eat. Any kids that show up will have something to put in their bags.